My Display eating battery?

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by Ringhale, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Ringhale

Ringhale New Member

Okay I do not have the update installed yet Battery is at 30% and I'm at 19hrs unplugged but with Very light usage ( I was sleeping for about 7 of these hours) Battery use says Display 68% I have the display set to lowest brightness 24% cell standby and 8% Phone Idle my signal is usually around -95dbm does this seem alright or is something odd going on seems like 68% for the display on the lowest setting is a bit much.

BTW GPS is on, sync is on, no bluetooth, and very little wifi
  2. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Seriously your complaining about 19 hours? Thats alot.

Using mine normally during the day, mostly phone calls....I might get 12 before its dead.

PS- Mine says the display accounts for 93% of the usage right now.
  3. Ringhale

Ringhale New Member

Sorry I didnt mean to sound as I was complaining.. I didnt make any calls during that time sent maybe 20 texts and used the internet maybe for an hour and downloaded like 2 apps..
  4. HeroNova

HeroNova New Member

I also think 19 hours is pretty good. Like cpjr, I usually get around 12 hours. GPS is a serious killer sometimes, I usually keep mine off.
  5. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Yup, and alot of widgets that update for various reasons (need an internet connection, gps location, etc) will kill the battery much faster. I use several but dont have them update to often.
  6. EbbieDeb

EbbieDeb New Member

I seem to be having battery issues myself. I don't know why though. 96% of my usage is Display. I have GPS on, but no bluetooth, no sync.

I charged it fully before I went to bed, and put it on the nightstand. About 8 hours later when I woke up, I was at 60% usage. Just sitting on the nightstand. Does this sound right?

Someone told me I needed to keep the phone plugged in a full 8 hours for the first charge, but It shows Charged when its attached to the Plug for about 3 hours. So I don't know if I need to leave it on longer than that?
  7. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Why doesnt anyone just keep their phone plugged in at night while they sleep?? Seriously, seems like a no brainer to me.

I ALWAYS charge my phone all night while Im sleeping, always have on any phone Ive ever had.

PS- And for those that would say it ruins the battery....thats crap, I have never had a battery issue on any phone either.
  8. The White Weapon

The White Weapon New Member

i've been unplugged since 10:30AM, i'm still at 20% and I'm showing 84% of my battery drain is from the display.
  9. ryan1432

ryan1432 New Member

I know Verizon is going to be sending out a update regarding the battery issue soon (will be OTA and overnight). 19 hours is great! i cant even get 8 hours out of my phone :(

To EbbieDeb: Do you have WiFi and bluetooth on when you charge your phone? i had the same problem when i first got my Moto X.
  10. EbbieDeb

EbbieDeb New Member

I honestly wish I could charge my phone overnight. But I do not have a landline, so my cell is my only phone. I like to keep it on the nightstand while I sleep. However the cord is too short to go from the wall to the top of my nightstand. Mind you, the outlet is RIGHT BEHIND my nightstand. I wish they made the cord longer on this phone.
  11. EbbieDeb

EbbieDeb New Member

To EbbieDeb: Do you have WiFi and bluetooth on when you charge your phone? i had the same problem when i first got my Moto X.[/QUOTE]

No, I do not have either turned on. I don't have an earpiece, so I have bluetooth turned off. I also have the Wifi Turned off. The only thing I have on is the GPS. I'm wondering if I should just turn that off when I'm at home?
  12. KevinWP

KevinWP New Member

Is there some reason you are letting your lack of a $2.00 extension cord limit your use of a $600.00 cell phone?

Go on... Splurge.... :icon_ banana:... Get the 6 ft extension cord for $3.00.
  13. EbbieDeb

EbbieDeb New Member

I did not know there was such a thing... Where do I find it? At the verizon online store?
  14. EbbieDeb

EbbieDeb New Member

Many years back, I had the Motorola Razor phone. I just found my old charger, and it fits into my Droid X.

Is this an option to use to charge the phone? It won't mess up anything would it?
  15. KevinWP

KevinWP New Member

No just a plain 'electrical' extension cord. They have them at wal-mart, dollar general, heck even gas stations sell them.

This is the cheapest one I could find at walmart.com but it is way beefier than you need.

Walmart.com: Woods 267 25' 3-Conductor 16 Gauge Outdoor Extension Cord: Home Improvement

I'm sure if you go to a local goodwill store they will have a bin of them for $1.00 or something.
  16. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Don't use another charge on the Droid X. On the regular Motorola Droid it has caused some issues, maybe not with the X but why take chances.

If you really want to get past the battery issue, go to Amazon and purchase a couple of spare batteries (under 20.00), go to ebay and get a wall charger (about 5.00) and last but not least if you use it in your car a lot get a charger for the car.

Smartphone suck the life out of batteries. You can do all the little tweaks here and there you like, its not going to make much difference. Next thing you know you're so hung up on the battery you lose the benefit of the phone.
  17. Razir

Razir New Member

Totally agree...I don't want to hamper the functionality of my phone just to save 10 mins of battery life.

I have had short usage times with my D1 and now my DX, to some degree (although better usage times on DX compared to a rooted Droid OC'd), but small price to pay for such an incredible piece of tech.

I have a few widgets that update themselves, also using Launcher Pro Plus, and Beautiful Widgets (which I have heard can drain the battery), but I just figure I will just have to keep a charger with me at home, in the car, and at work. Such will be life until batteries go nuclear or something. :reddroid:
  18. The White Weapon

The White Weapon New Member

Just so you all know I found an application in the market called adjbrightness that will let you dim your brightness beyond the standard settjngs. However, this does required root, but i'm noticing battery improvements already.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  19. EbbieDeb

EbbieDeb New Member

The chargers I found on Ebay all are just standard MicroUSB chargers, with the Droid X and Razor listed as compatible. What would make them any different than the MicroUSB made my Motorola for the Razor?

I'm just curious....
  20. rolandct

rolandct New Member

On the cables there should be a tag showing the power output. If they are the same then you should be ok.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Search tags for this page
android motorola droid 4 screen eats battery
battery display 68%

display eating battery android

display eats battery android
display using 38 percent of battery on droid x
htc thunderbolt display eat a lot of battery
in my s4 display eats battery
my droid 4 display is eating my battery
my droid displa is using up a lot of my battry