My dad has the Incredible... and I tried it out.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like Sense better in that it has solved many of the problems with the Android UI such as stuttering and laggines.

I think you're attributing to Sense what should be attributed to Snapdragon.

I don't know. The Droid Eris which has Sense UI, also is much smoother switching screens then the Moto Droid. Sense UI is doing something right (when it comes to this).

Point taken. But I suspect the difference between the Droid and the Eris has more to do with the easier management job the latter has (i.e. smaller screen) than with the Sense UI. Admittedly, I know very little about the HTC UI but I'm somewhat skeptical that it would not burden the processor with more to do. Could well be wrong, though. If HTC has integrated the UI tightly with the O/S, they could have achieved some improvements.

That, however, might also explain the "lag" in releasing updates to the Android O/S that seem to be characteristic of the HTC phones.

P.S. No criticism (or support) of the Sense UI by these comments. Just speculating.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I agree Snapdragon makes it fast not Sense...

Sense was Senseless. Not intuitive at all.

Can you quantify that?

How is it that the Snapdragon is making it fast, and not Sense?

Whats the difference between an overclocked Droid and a stock DI?

I can tell you:

Speed for speed, the Moto Droid is faster in all benches except maybe a Snapdragon specific one.
The GPU is faster on the Moto Droid. Yes, i am aware real world performance is not the same as benchmarks.

Also
The UI is more sluggish on the Droid and is not 100% stutter free at any speed.

Yet, the Snapdragon performs worse in benches, and the Nexus One also has some stuttery transitioning. Yet, the Incredible does not.

You tell me, whats the difference in the N1 and the Incredible, hardware wise?

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I think you're attributing to Sense what should be attributed to Snapdragon.

I don't know. The Droid Eris which has Sense UI, also is much smoother switching screens then the Moto Droid. Sense UI is doing something right (when it comes to this).

Point taken. But I suspect the difference between the Droid and the Eris has more to do with the easier management job the latter has (i.e. smaller screen) than with the Sense UI. Admittedly, I know very little about the HTC UI but I'm somewhat skeptical that it would not burden the processor with more to do. Could well be wrong, though. If HTC has integrated the UI tightly with the O/S, they could have achieved some improvements.

That, however, might also explain the "lag" in releasing updates to the Android O/S that seem to be characteristic of the HTC phones.

P.S. No criticism (or support) of the Sense UI by these comments. Just speculating.

Even the N1's stock UI has some stutter to it. Its the Android software, and I am certain it will eventually be worked out. But until then....relying on alternative UI/launchers is the best way to deal with it.

Last edited:
OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah It's not on the market - can anyone pull it - it's a great one.

As one that has both phones, I can say I like the incredible better. I believe it is the sence UI that is making it as snappy as it is as I installed the Helix launcher and noticed it was a bit laggy. I also installed Koush's launcher and it was laggy also. Running a live walpaper make the sence UI a little laggy too though. But with a static wallpaper it is definately faster the the moto droid. My moto droid overclocked at 1 GHz isn't as smooth as sence with the snapdragon.

I didn't like sence at first but the more I've used it the more I love it. Once you learn it things just make more "sence". The HTC widgets are fantastic. The SMS widget, the bookmarks widget, the contacts widget, just make things a lot simpler. I'm not one for facebook and twitter but I hear the widgets for those are just as awesome. I just don't use them.

Edit: Oh, the live wallpaper you're talking about I believe is the one that came with the phone and is made by HTC. In my incredible live wallpaper menu it's called "HTC sence" and looks kinda like smoke with colored balls floating around. I think it's exclusive to the phone and you can't download it from the market. I'm sure somebody can find a way to pull it from the incredible though.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
It won't work on the Moto Droid due to the difference in resolution, most likely.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm a Moto Droid owner....(I feel I have to do that sometimes for folks to know where I'm coming from, lol)

My take on Sense is if its more user friendly, I'm all for it. I saw a demo of Blur...and I didnt see what the problem was with that either.

Like Vista/Win 7 vs. XP. The UI on Vista is more user friendly: make icons bigger & smaller with a slider is one example. On XP you have to dig thru menus to do that. And I'm a die hard XP Pro user.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
My first Android phone was the Eris so I am familiar with Sense. I personally really like it. It just flows smoothly. And some of the widgets are useful. One thing I liked on the Eris is I could switch between Sense and vanilla Android. I have considered switching from the Droid to the Incredible. I have played with it several times and really like it. But one side of me is telling me to wait to see what Moto has in store for later this year. Was kinda wanting to hold out for 720p video and a 4.3" screen. But my worry is they may offer that but MotoSlur will be included. A co-worker has a Cliq I think and I can't stand it with MB.

Still considering the change to the DI.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I finally got to try the Incredible and overall I did not like it. The phone was fast for sure, but I don't like Sense. I imagine over time you could get used to it and then maybe I would like it. I also cannot type very well with the Ime keyboard, it seems I keep missing the letters I want and the predictive word feature doesn't seem as nice as on the Droid.

If I could switch the keyboard and get rid of Sense it would be great I bet!

hobby31

Reaction score
It won't work on the Moto Droid due to the difference in resolution, most likely.

Someone posted a HTCincredible dump right before it was released. I downloaded it then but most things didn't work. I just looked again and found the wallpaper in the /system/app/ folder. It's called "Mode10Wallpapers.apk". I tried installing with astro and also root explorer and it wouldn't install. I then used adb with the cp command and copied it over and rebooted. It shows up in the live wallpaper list now but it force closes when I select it. I'm running UD new era ROM so it might be the ROM or it might be like someone else stated a resolution problem. I might try a different ROM and see if it will work.

Edit: Here's the link for the post with the system dump. It was Woodyman who posted it.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/woodyman/40872-htc-incredible.html

Last edited:

Yodes

Reaction score
I dont know why people hate Sense UI. I LOVE sense UI it takes all the best of android and adds to it. I was really tempted to get an Eris just because of Sense but didnt like the hardware. To each his own I guess.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
Yeah, i think Sense UI is quite nice. Especially with the incredible's 1 ghz processor. Even though i would like to get it, something is telling me that a device ten times better will be out by december. I looked at motoblur and i think that it would be great in the moto shadow or w/e with android 2.2 with 7 home screens, a 4.3" screen,1ghz processor,hdmi,and 8-12 megapixel camera, it would awesome!