my complaints/issues with the Droid

arthur01

Reaction score
Hey whatsup guys, just starting up a little thread for any of my complaints/issues with the Droid.

• First thing that irritates me the most: screen darkens during a phonecall.
------During a phonecall, the screen darkens. If I get a notification during a phonecall, like an SMS or email for example, I usually can't view it. The sensor detects my finger, and assumes that the phone is pressed up against my head, as if I was listening to the other person talking, and the phone darkens up. Also, sometimes I can't hangup and I need to wait until the other person does. If the screen is dark for a certain amount of time and I want to hang up, I need to hit the power button on top of the phone, put in my code, and then hang up. VERY irritating, this takes quite a bit of time, especially if I'm in a hurry and I don't enter the code correctly.

• Second thing: previously viewed emails pop up as new ones.
I'm not talking about emails that I deleted, I'm talking about emails that have been previously viewed in the past, and saved. Every once in a while, I'll get the "DRRROOOOOIIDDDDD" ringtone notifying me that I have a new email. Nothing at the top is highlighted, so I scroll down all the way to the bottom. Usually 5 or 6 are highlighted as "new" emails, as if they haven't been opened before

• Third: WHY CAN'T WE HAVE A SIGNATURE IN OUR EMAIL??!??
I know that we can have a signature for our Gmail app, which I am grateful for. But seriously, if Motorola or Android (whoever is at fault) wants this phone to be an iPhone killer, marketed towards professionals, you NEED to have a signature (it's even required by many companies) in your emails.

These three are bugging me for now, let me know what you guys think. Voice your opinions, fixes, etc.
I'll post more up as I think of them (hopefully no more issues, I love this phone! haha)

---Arthur

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll handle issue 1. Download Screebl and you can set it up so your phone doesn't go dark when you're using it.

The idea of the forum isn't just to complain, but find solututiins to issues.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The second 2 can be fixed by using Touchdown ($20) as the native email app leaves alot to be desired....

M

Matth3w

1. You can fix the first as described.

2. If you don't actually open or read the emails, and simply clear the notification out of the bar, they will not get marked read.

3. You can do this as well, not sure what problem you are having exactly. At the very least if you can't set it up in the native email program on your PC, then blame your email provider not the phone. The phone is just using the native email program to send and receive.

bigthinker

Reaction score
In handling the first issue you are having---The screen blackens out on a call because if it didn't, your chin or finger may end up hitting or in this case mis hitting keys or numbers...It also goes dead to save battery life. If you are having issues and want to solve them....Hook and the guys above have offered great advice....If you also turn your screen or phone face to a light source, it comes back on instantly. I hope this helps. :motdroidhoriz:

OP
A

arthur01

Reaction score
I'll handle issue 1. Download Screebl and you can set it up so your phone doesn't go dark when you're using it.

The idea of the forum isn't just to complain, but find solututiins to issues.

Hookbill, I know what the idea of the forum is, and I'm just expressing my issues with the phone, just like MANY other people are. Just suggestions/personal opinions on it. :)

2. If you don't actually open or read the emails, and simply clear the notification out of the bar, they will not get marked read.

3. You can do this as well, not sure what problem you are having exactly. At the very least if you can't set it up in the native email program on your PC, then blame your email provider not the phone. The phone is just using the native email program to send and receive.

Matthew, I previously mentioned that the emails have been already opened, they have been viewed, they have been read. A few days later, I get a notification that I have a new email, even though it's the old emails just highlighted all over again as if they haven't yet been opened. Old emails (saved, not deleted) appearing as new ones. Hope that this clears up any confusion. Also, regarding number 3, the native Droid email app does not have a "signature option." I'm not going to blame any provider, it is Email app that the Droid comes with that is to blame, since it doesn't have a signature option.

Also, I don't have a native email program on my PC. I was just shocked that the default Droid email app doesn't come with an option for a signature, even though the Gmail app does.

In handling the first issue you are having---The screen blackens out on a call because if it didn't, your chin or finger may end up hitting or in this case mis hitting keys or numbers...It also goes dead to save battery life. If you are having issues and want to solve them....Hook and the guys above have offered great advice....If you also turn your screen or phone face to a light source, it comes back on instantly. I hope this helps. :motdroidhoriz:

I understand that it turns off to preserve battery light, I just get pissed when it doesn't turn back on right away when I want to finish a call. This is a bug with the phone that MANY people have because I searched it and found many threads on it. A lot of people have to do a full battery pull sometimes when they are listening to voicemails because they can't hang up, and the screen doesn't turn on.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
1) download screebl, 3) I believe handcent allows for signature... if you don't have it allready, get it.. its 10x better than stock messaging system.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As for #1.... when on a phone call, you should NEVER have to enter you lock pattern or lock screen code. By default, the 'lock screen' is disabled by the OS when on a phone call. Even if the screen is black, when you pull it away from your ear it should 'wake'. If it doesn't your hand/finger may be blocking the sensor, in which case, trying holding it differently.

Screebl will keep the screen 'awake' during a call, but this can result in face dialing. The default phone should black out against your ear, and wake up when you pull it away. No power button needed during phone calls to unlock. Just an FYI.

marcogiudice

Reaction score
I had da same problem with My first Droid nd got a new one nd never had that problem again. So return it nd u won't have that problem. I thonk its the first gen phones that do that
Trust me. My new phone don't ever do it! That was da same reason I returned my first one!

marcogiudice

Reaction score
I had da same problem with My first Droid nd got a new one nd never had that problem again. So return it nd u won't have that problem. I thonk its the first gen phones that do that
Trust me. My new phone don't ever do it! That was da same reason I returned my first one!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

The new phone(s) just create double entries:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
(sorry marcogiudice, couldn't resist, it's happened to all of us though).

But yes, there have been several reports of some Droids having faulty proximity sensors or other errors which make the screen blanking feature less than optimal/convenient.

Reaction score
I have a problem that I"m not sure should be listed here but it is an issue that I hope someone can answer. Since I rooted my phone I have not been able to pair my Samsung WEP870 bluetooth headset with my droid. While it worked perfectly before, the phone won't recognize it now. Is this because I did the root, or does anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do? I got the headset at Verizon. Has anyone had this problem?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a problem that I"m not sure should be listed here but it is an issue that I hope someone can answer. Since I rooted my phone I have not been able to pair my Samsung WEP870 bluetooth headset with my droid. While it worked perfectly before, the phone won't recognize it now. Is this because I did the root, or does anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do? I got the headset at Verizon. Has anyone had this problem?

Very good question. Going to find out the answer to that right now. Hang on a few seconds.

OK, I was able to successfully pair my Blue Ant Q1 headset with my rooted phone (sholes 2.0.2).