My comparison of Smart Actions vs Juice Defender for the Razr.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
We I have been curious to know which is better and thanks to all of our developement I am able to in a sense test and find out. I am going to run a 4 day experiment starting on Tuesday. How am I going to test you ask.....well I have my stock ROM on my "non safe" side using Smart Actions with JD disabled.....on the "safe" side I have RazrX by DroidTh3ory with Juice Defender and SA is disabled. I know this isn't going to be totally accurate....but after this is done I am going to run another 4 days reversed....stock with JD and RazrX with SA to see if it makes a difference that way.

Everyday before I start I will boot into that days ROM....make sure it is at 100% (Full) then unplug and start.

I have the configurations fairly similar....as close as I can get them....both with the intention of extending battery life. I will post my configurations once I get both sides set. If you guys see flaws in my configurations or know of a better one feel free to share and I will give them a shot.

Do know....I am a heavy user for at least 12 hours out of the day when working. I am off Tue through Sat (first 4 days of test) then I work the following 4. So there will be a fair share of active and not so active days. At the end of the day....or battery....I will snap screen shots to show the time alive. You will also be able to gauge the usage off this too.....to avoid any confusion.

I am currently watching a movie on my Razr now but when it is done I will post screen shots of my current SA configurations. I will also post a screen shot of what I would consider my average life span with this set up. Of course this is before the experiment started so don't count it.

This will also assist me in deciphering whether custom ROM's are better for battery life or not considering they are typically deodexed, debloated, and such which "should" reduce battery consumption....right?

I will be running the same LWP, same widgets, same launcher (Go Launcher with ICS theme) the entire time on both ROM's....

My current setup with Smart Actions (12-18-2011)stock ROM

1. Fire Fight:

Triggers
  • Battery level >35%
  • Display off
  • Not Charging
  • No motion
Action
  • Background Sync off
  • WiFi off
  • GPS off
  • Bluetooth off
  • Brightness 0%

2. Over run:

Triggers
  • Battery level >20%
  • display off
Action
  • Display timeout 15 seconds
  • Brightness 0%
  • WiFi off
  • Bluetooth off
  • Background sync off
  • GPS off

3. Last stand:

Triggers
  • Battery level >10%
  • Display off
Action
  • Airplane mode
  • Brightness 0%

4. Wi-Fi:

Triggers
  • WiFi connected
Actions
  • Disable mobile data

5. Extend:

Triggers
  • Screen off
Actions
  • Wi-Fi off

With this configuration I have maintained an average of 10+ hours

as stated this isn't part of the test....nor was this fully drained....nor used a ton that day. But I have seen this phone over 18 hours on light days before.

My current setup with Juice Defender (12-18-2011)RazrX by DriodTh3ory

Currently set to Custom with the following:

• Enable after unlock
  • Disabled data on WiFi
  • Schedule set to 15 min
  • Night disabled
  • Apps Disabled
  • Mobile data enabled
  • WiFi enabled
  • Auto Disable enabled
  • Location enabled

Results:

Day 1
  • RazrX
  • Juice Defender active SA disabled
  • Light use (half hour of Drag Racing and an hour of phone calls)
  • 14 hours 52 minutes with 10% still remaining

Day 2
  • Stock ROM (no bloat frozen)
  • Smart Actions active JD disabled

Last edited:
OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
reserved for Day 2.
Stock with Smart Actions.

Calling this light to....but with double the amount of time playing drag racing.

32350125-6f01-1be1.jpg

32350125-6f11-6415.jpg

Last edited:
OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
reserved for Day 3.
RazrX with Smart Actions.

32350125-c725-5f4c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
reserved for Day 4.
Stock with Juice Defender.

Last edited:

vonfink13

Reaction score
This should be very interesting....thanks for doing this

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
10 hours into first day and still at 40%....JD seems to be doing some good.

Gleason81

Reaction score
10 hours into first day and still at 40%....JD seems to be doing some good.

Have you considered doing a test, THEN report results instead of posting ump-teen-million replies to your own tread?....just saying...

So, which is better, after your long thorough testing???

Deron

Reaction score
To the OP: thank you very much for doing this. Reminds me of my battery experiments that I posted on. Doing a controlled experiment is rather time consuming but worth it.

Have you considered doing a test, THEN report results instead of posting ump-teen-million replies to your own tread?....just saying...

When you run your own experiment, then you can post the way you want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Agrajag

Reaction score
I've been using an app called Actions (Pro) and I find it far superior to Smart Actions in what it can do and Tasker in approachability. For me it's saved me much in the way of battery life. I have profiles for just about everything in it now. Tasker was just impossible for me to get into and Smart Actions left me wanting more.

OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hard to say today....not much use but phone felt much more responsive....interested to see what smart actions and Razr x work out like.

Something interesting.....phone handled first portion of battery much better than second.

Added today's final result. Stopped at 15%.

32350125-6ffb-4dba.jpg

32350125-7013-ac25.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score

So, which is better, after your long thorough testing???
There's always got to be a hater in there somewhere. I'm sure he's not posting this for himself. :blink:

He's doing the research work that 99% of the rest of us would just post about asking opinions on the apps.