My car dock

Discussion in 'Droid X Accessories' started by qoncept, Jul 25, 2010.

1. qoncept

qoncept New Member

I made a custom mount for my Seidio car dock for the original Droid so I wouldn't have to have it attached to the windshield or dash and wanted to do the same for my Droid X. Since Seidio hasn't released a dock yet, I got the Motorola dock and had to change it up a bit. In the end, it turned out better than before.

Left over from before, I tapped in to the stereo power harness to add a cigarette lighter adapter and plugged a 2-port USB car charger in to it. One runs to my Blackberry Bluetooth adapter and the other to my Droid X.

I used half of the Motorola car dock mount and just bolted it directly to the side of the cubby hole above my single-DIN stereo. I used a crown lock washer between the mount and the cubby hole side to increase the friction vertically. The articulating ball mount is in tact as it was originally.

I'm also using Settings Profile ($1.99 I think in the market) to automatically set brightness to auto, calls to speakerphone, media volume to max, and open Pandora. (I also disabled the car dock app) I get in and put the phone in the dock and it automatically connects to my BT adapter and starts playing music. Pretty happy with the setup.
  2. Taurus

Taurus New Member

NIce! funny thing is i got the exact same stereo setup as you, gj!

One question though: can you PM me the exact hardware you used ot mount the arm to the cubby whole box? Thank you.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  3. Seapup

Seapup New Member

Very cool qoncept! [​IMG] :clap: [​IMG]
  4. qoncept

qoncept New Member

Not really.. I dug it out of a coffee can. I think the bolt is about a 5/16" x 1", with a matching nut, a washer on each end, and the crowned lock washer between the mount and cubby hole thing. I'd recommend taking the mount in to a hardware store and finding a bolt that's as close to the diameter of that hole as you can find. A lock nut would be best if you're already at a hardware store.

I think I might play around a bit and move the stereo back to the top and the cubby to the bottom and see how I like that.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  5. Eolly

Eolly New Member

6. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Cool deal thanks allot.
  7. qoncept

qoncept New Member

8. Eolly

Eolly New Member

Thanks. I searched the market and for 1.99 the one I linked is all I found.
    One thing Im noticing is popular apps are going up in price.
    A friend bought tapatalk last year for 1.99 now its 3.99.

Kinda sucks cause some apps I would love to have the full version but nickel and diming me hurts my bank account :D
  9. boarderx

boarderx New Member

Does this setup bounce around up & down during normal driving?
  10. kerbstomp

kerbstomp New Member

Your project has inspired me to create an account just to show my appreciation. I've been shopping around looking for car dock solutions and this looks right up my alley.

Quick question though, as far as installing the cigarette lighter inside the console and everything is concerned, what level of head unit/car electronics experience does that call for? I'm fully aware of the process involved in installing a head unit, but that's as far as it goes; though I fancy myself rather tech savvy. With the exception of the bluetooth module, I intend to give this type of project a shot in the coming weeks.

Also, where can I acquire a cigarette lighter adapter and whatnot similar to what you used? And how much did the total project run you?
  11. SgtAl

SgtAl New Member

I modified the clip on my Body Glove case to fit the peg and slot set up on the windshield mount left over from the Incredible I returned to get the X. About 3 minutes with the dremel and I dont have to take the phone out of its case to use in the car. Not nearly as cool as what you cooked up but it works great and I was pretty proud of myself for thinking of it.
  12. qoncept

qoncept New Member

It was easier than installing a car stereo. All I did was find the 12v power and splice a wire in to it to run to the lighter adapter. The other wire off the adapter I grounded to the frame the stereo bolts in to.

I got it at Radioshack for $8ish, and the 2 port USB charger for $25ish at Best Buy. With the dock I'm in it for about $75. You could definitely get the lighter adapter and USB charger cheaper online, but I was impatient.
  13. kerbstomp

kerbstomp New Member

Any chance you snapped a picture of the splice job? I'll just need something to work off of, or even a textual explanation of which cord I need to split would work.

Again, I appreciate any and all help. This is the only device I own that would inspire such a DIY; and it deserves no less :)
  14. qoncept

qoncept New Member

I didn't, but there is (at least) one line going to your stereo (off the top of my head I want to say it's blue, but I'm not sure) that has 12v power when the ignition is switched on. If you have a multimeter, you can switch it to volts, hold the black probe to a ground and stick the other probe in the harness till you find a wire that's 12v. Or if you can find the manual for your stereo or harness it might say.. or there might even be a tag on the right one.
  15. veeeee

veeeee New Member

I installed a 12v outlet hidden behind my dash this weekend for my car dock and the wiring was very simple. I bought the 12v outlet from radio shack and tapped into the existing 12v outlet on the front dash. The kit from radio shack included a scotch lock which I used to connect the power wire from the new outlet to the existing one. I attached the ground cable to the metal frame for the stereo. No stripping or soldering required. So wiring is very simple if you have a existing outlet you can tap into since theres only 2 cables going to the outlet, power (red) and ground (black). And the scotch lock is very easy to use, just need some pliers to crimp it.