My car dock

Q

qoncept

I finally got my car dock for my Sequoia figured out. I ended up buying a Seidio Innotaveler as I couldn't figure out a good way to make a good dock, but I just didn't want to use the windshield mount it came with. I have an aftermarket stereo with a Bluetooth gateway (more on that later) and my goal was to keep it in view and in reach for navigation and music, and solid so it won't bounce around while driving or when I'm sliding the phone in.

I had a piece of scrap 1/8" steel laying around that became my mount. It's bolted to the cubby hole that replaced the extra DIN slot when I replaced the OEM stereo with an aftermarket. I bent it to an angle that would make the phone easily viewable and bolted the Seidio dock's mounting clip to it. The dock slides on to the clip.

As you can see in the pics, clearance was my biggest issue. The mount brings the dock up above where the OEM stereo would normally be and in front of the bezel. I hoped to kind of swing the bezel back in place when I was putting it together, but it's a bit of a juggling act because the vents need to slide straight in when putting the bezel back on. I'm not looking forward to taking it apart and putting it back together when I rewire my Bluetooth gateway, but once it's all together it works great.

There's virtually no flex in the mount, and the single bolt in the clip allows me to tilt the entire mount to where I need it (I used lock nuts and washers so they shouldn't back out). I had a 2-usb cigarette lighter adapter to power the dock and Bluetooth gateway, but it was junk and didn't work so I'll need to wait until I can order a higher quality one to get everything wired (on the bright side, I won't be too lazy to get a roll of solder and do it right this time). The power will be wired directly to the stereo harness and just be exposed from the bezel to the dock, instead of running down to the cigarette lighter. I also want to get a right angle mini-usb cord to clean it up a bit, and as I'm finishing up I'll paint the mount black. Once I get another of the adapter clips from Seidio, I'll be able to easily take the dock off and put it in any other car using the windshield mount it came with.

Attachments

• 2010-02-12 17.12.07.jpg
    2010-02-12 17.12.07.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 541
  • 2010-02-12 17.12.19.jpg
    2010-02-12 17.12.19.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 359
  • 2010-02-12 17.12.27.jpg
    2010-02-12 17.12.27.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 328
OP
Q

qoncept

Alright, I got impatient and paid $30 for a dual usb cigarette lighter adapter from Best Buy. I also picked up a cigarette lighter socket from Radio Shack so I wouldn't have to hack up the usb adapter and it'll be easier to pull out if I ever sell the truck. Finally, I bent the mount back a bit because it wasn't quite in line with my eye. I didn't paint it yet, but everything else is done. Only problem is I couldn't find a right angled mini usb connector ANYWHERE, so the power to the dock hangs out further than I'd like.

You can see the Blackberry Bluetooth gateway in the little cubby hole. Originally I planned to hide it behind the dash but I figured I'd keep it in view in case I ever figure out what the status lights on it mean.

Everything's working the way I want now. The BT gateway powers on when I start the truck, the Droid autoconnects and all I need to do is select a music source and make sure the stereo is set to aux in.

Attachments

• 2010-02-13 12.32.46.jpg
    2010-02-13 12.32.46.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 2010-02-13 12.39.18.jpg
    2010-02-13 12.39.18.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 386
  • 2010-02-13 12.39.25.jpg
    2010-02-13 12.39.25.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 399

qoncept

Reaction score
I made a custom mount for my Seidio car dock for the original Droid so I wouldn't have to have it attached to the windshield or dash and wanted to do the same for my Droid X. Since Seidio hasn't released a dock yet, I got the Motorola dock and had to change it up a bit. In the end, it turned out better than before.

Left over from before, I tapped in to the stereo power harness to add a cigarette lighter adapter and plugged a 2-port USB car charger in to it. One runs to my Blackberry Bluetooth adapter and the other to my Droid X.

I used half of the Motorola car dock mount and just bolted it directly to the side of the cubby hole above my single-DIN stereo. I used a crown lock washer between the mount and the cubby hole side to increase the friction vertically. The articulating ball mount is in tact as it was originally.

I'm also using Settings Profile ($1.99 I think in the market) to automatically set brightness to auto, calls to speakerphone, media volume to max, and open Pandora. (I also disabled the car dock app) I get in and put the phone in the dock and it automatically connects to my BT adapter and starts playing music. Pretty happy with the setup.

Taurus

Reaction score
NIce! funny thing is i got the exact same stereo setup as you, gj!

One question though: can you PM me the exact hardware you used ot mount the arm to the cubby whole box? Thank you.

Last edited:

qoncept

Reaction score

One question though: can you PM me the exact hardware you used ot mount the arm to the cubby whole box? Thank you.
Not really.. I dug it out of a coffee can. I think the bolt is about a 5/16" x 1", with a matching nut, a washer on each end, and the crowned lock washer between the mount and cubby hole thing. I'd recommend taking the mount in to a hardware store and finding a bolt that's as close to the diameter of that hole as you can find. A lock nut would be best if you're already at a hardware store.

I think I might play around a bit and move the stereo back to the top and the cubby to the bottom and see how I like that.

Last edited:

Taurus

Reaction score

Not really.. I dug it out of a coffee can. I think the bolt is about a 5/16" x 1", with a matching nut, a washer on each end, and the crowned lock washer between the mount and cubby hole thing. I'd recommend taking the mount in to a hardware store and finding a bolt that's as close to the diameter of that hole as you can find. A lock nut would be best if you're already at a hardware store.

I think I might play around a bit and move the stereo back to the top and the cubby to the bottom and see how I like that.

Cool deal thanks allot.

Eolly

Reaction score
is this the app you used?
NoImAndroid.com
Nope, it's called "Setting Profiles" on the market
Home Setting Profiles
Thanks. I searched the market and for 1.99 the one I linked is all I found.
One thing Im noticing is popular apps are going up in price.
A friend bought tapatalk last year for 1.99 now its 3.99.

Kinda sucks cause some apps I would love to have the full version but nickel and diming me hurts my bank account :D

kerbstomp

Reaction score
Your project has inspired me to create an account just to show my appreciation. I've been shopping around looking for car dock solutions and this looks right up my alley.

Quick question though, as far as installing the cigarette lighter inside the console and everything is concerned, what level of head unit/car electronics experience does that call for? I'm fully aware of the process involved in installing a head unit, but that's as far as it goes; though I fancy myself rather tech savvy. With the exception of the bluetooth module, I intend to give this type of project a shot in the coming weeks.

Also, where can I acquire a cigarette lighter adapter and whatnot similar to what you used? And how much did the total project run you?

SgtAl

Reaction score
I modified the clip on my Body Glove case to fit the peg and slot set up on the windshield mount left over from the Incredible I returned to get the X. About 3 minutes with the dremel and I dont have to take the phone out of its case to use in the car. Not nearly as cool as what you cooked up but it works great and I was pretty proud of myself for thinking of it.

qoncept

Reaction score
Quick question though, as far as installing the cigarette lighter inside the console and everything is concerned, what level of head unit/car electronics experience does that call for?
It was easier than installing a car stereo. All I did was find the 12v power and splice a wire in to it to run to the lighter adapter. The other wire off the adapter I grounded to the frame the stereo bolts in to.

Also, where can I acquire a cigarette lighter adapter and whatnot similar to what you used? And how much did the total project run you?
I got it at Radioshack for $8ish, and the 2 port USB charger for $25ish at Best Buy. With the dock I'm in it for about $75. You could definitely get the lighter adapter and USB charger cheaper online, but I was impatient.

kerbstomp

Reaction score
It was easier than installing a car stereo. All I did was find the 12v power and splice a wire in to it to run to the lighter adapter. The other wire off the adapter I grounded to the frame the stereo bolts in to.

I got it at Radioshack for $8ish, and the 2 port USB charger for $25ish at Best Buy. With the dock I'm in it for about $75. You could definitely get the lighter adapter and USB charger cheaper online, but I was impatient.

Any chance you snapped a picture of the splice job? I'll just need something to work off of, or even a textual explanation of which cord I need to split would work.

Again, I appreciate any and all help. This is the only device I own that would inspire such a DIY; and it deserves no less :)