My Bionic is rooted...Do I need Safestrap?

WLSITGuy

Reaction score
I have rooted my phone and installed safestrap. However, I am running out of space with the Stock OS and Eclipse both running. Can I use a backup software like Titanium or the like, wipe the phone completely, Flash the phone with Eclipse only and just go about my day? Or do I need Safestrap?

lm2

Reaction score
Your question is confusing. It sounds as if you should instead be asking whether it's OK to get rid of the stock ROM and go only with eclipse. But instead you are asking if you can get rid of safestrap. Can you clarify what you mean?

OP
W

WLSITGuy

Reaction score
Your question is confusing. It sounds as if you should instead be asking whether it's OK to get rid of the stock ROM and go only with eclipse. But instead you are asking if you can get rid of safestrap. Can you clarify what you mean?

Actually, I meant both. Can I eliminate the Safestrap and flash it with Eclipse only?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
I am also confused as to exactly what you mean

Safestrap allows you to boot between multiple roms. It is needed to run eclipse. That said, your storage in the newer versions (3 and up) is determined when creating rom slots. So one slot shouldn't affect another's, other than the phones global storage, obviously.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

OP
W

WLSITGuy

Reaction score
What I am asking is do I need Safestrap at all? Can I load a ROM on the phone without Safestrap?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
Safestrap is indeed needed. 3.11 is the newest. You can find it here on DROID forums. It really has become an amazing tool for trying any and every rom you want.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

OP
W

WLSITGuy

Reaction score
Just to be clear I cannot put any ROM on my phone without Safestrap? Is the BIONIC that different from other phones that people can flash a ROM on?

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
Because the bionic has a locked bootloader. Safe strap makes flashing roms pretty easy and we are very lucky to have such a useful tool

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
There is also bootstrap, but in have zero experience plus eclipse is tested and recommended for use with safe strap

DroidToro

Reaction score
I believe that you can also use bootstrap recovery. It's not as good as safestrap because it doesn't use slots but I am pretty sure you can accomplish what I think you are asking. That is, you can erase the stock rom and install a custom rom that has all the space that stock has. The only drawback is that it's not as 'safe' as safestrap. If your custom rom is hosed then you have to reset your phone with fxz.

jcwilliams

Reaction score
I personally use bootstrap. I've used and loved safe strap but it didn't not meet my requirements as far as space. I struggled to run a rom slot at 3gb with out running out of Space. I have too many apps. I'm a appaholic lol

Anyways both recoveries in my opinion are awesome. Safestrap is definitely the way to go especially for "noobs" to rooting,ROMs and flashing in general.

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
The problem with Bootstrap compared to Safestrap is that bootstrap doesn't let you boot into recovery mode from the per button out turning on the phone. Its only accessible from the bootstrap app itself. Safestrap installs a splash menu for the user so you don't need to open the app every time you wish to boot into recovery. Just restart the phone and hit search when the splash menu comes up.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
Firstly because no one has the space to hold 5 roms + the zip files for said roms + anything else they have on a mere 16 gigs of space. Secondly what ROM are you attempting to install that requires MORE than 3 gigs....

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2