My battery will drain in 10 minutes or less...WTF?!

Chocula78

Reaction score
Running .211 while rooted. Three weeks ago, my battery started doing this thing where it would last 5 hours then get to 50%, then just drop to 5% then last another hour then die. Today it will now die after only 10 minutes even though it is fully charge. I have tried the following to trouble shoot:
  • downloaded GSam Battery Monitor. The number 1 drain on the battery is the Kernel.
  • Did a battery calibration with stock cable and charger.
  • factory reset....not fixed.
  • Last resort: Reverting to stock, unrooted .211 or updating to the leaked .215.
Verizon is willing to do a warranty replacement but since I'm rooted, I fear they will charge me for the cost of replacing the phone. Has anyone has this ridiculously rapid battery drain issue?

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Foxkat would probably be more helpful, but I'm guessing the battery is in deep discharge. I don't really know if there's a way to bring it back from that. Foxkat will know what to do

OP
Chocula78

Chocula78

Reaction score
Flashing .215 leak didn't help.

I flashed the leaked .215 ROM using Matt's Utility and I"M STILL HAVING THIS PROBLEM. Screen shot below shows the phone 26 minutes after being unplugged from charging to 100%.

View attachment 58033

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
But even with data off, you should still have phone signal. If you are in an area with no service (some buildings don't do week for getting service) your phone is desperately searching for a phone signal (not the same as data signal), then it will suck your battery big time.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
But even with data off, you should still have phone signal. If you are in an area with no service (some buildings don't do week for getting service) your phone is desperately searching for a phone signal (not the same as data signal), then it will suck your battery big time.

That's what I was thinking. One thing you could do is put your phone in airplane mode and see if the battery improves

jaye712

Reaction score
joshxdroid said:
That's what I was thinking. One thing you could do is put your phone in airplane mode and see if the battery improves

Would that actually help in a weak area..like for example :setting s/a to airplane mode instead of data off ..had to bug in cuz my battery hasnt been so great lately either fir the last week or so.is there a difference with data n a.m or is it almost the same thing

RAZR215UNROOTED

joshxdroid

Reaction score
jaye712 said:
Would that actually help in a weak area..like for example :setting s/a to airplane mode instead of data off ..had to bug in cuz my battery hasnt been so great lately either fir the last week or so.is there a difference with data n a.m or is it almost the same thing

RAZR215UNROOTED

I think it would take a lot less battery in airplane mode since it wouldn't have to maintain a connection. But you wouldn't get texts or calls that way either

jaye712

Reaction score
joshxdroid said:
I think it would take a lot less battery in airplane mode since it wouldn't have to maintain a connection. But you wouldn't get texts or calls that way either

Oh ok..got cha

RAZR215UNROOTED

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, in airplane mode it uses much less battery. But if you're not getting a signal anyway, you won't get texts or phone calls so might as well put it in airplane mode while you have no signal.

An example-My Razr Maxx is not activated (because I'm using my Razr M instead). But I still play with my Maxx on WiFi. If I don't put it in airplane mode, then it kills the battery because it is desperately searching for a signal that it cannot connect to. That phone on airplane mode with WiFi on lasts four days. Not an airplane mode, it only lasts hours.

OP
Chocula78

Chocula78

Reaction score
I wasn't getting a signal because my office is in a 150 year old mill building made from concrete and steel. Cell phone service is spotty. I have this problem whether I'm in the office or in my car or in my home. I get great service in my apartment. I live in Boston, so no problems with bad reception. I have NEVER had bad Verizon reception since I moved to Boston.

Another funny thing is the phone will die, so I plug it in to charge. It take forever to charge to 10% but then after it gets to 10% it jumps up to fully charged.

I did a factory reset from recovery after upgrading to .215. Still having this issue. I'm going to do the full nuclear option and use Matt's Utility to restore to .211 but don't think that will help.

I called verizon and am having them send a warranty replacement. I hope they don't find the phone I sent back has been rooted. Anyone know how to reset the qe 1/1 messages we see in recovery?

OP
Chocula78

Chocula78

Reaction score
Using Matt's Utility to fastboot back to .211 didn't do a damn thing. Now I can't hold a charge for more than 5 minutes. It must be a battery issue. Good thing my warranty isn't up until 11/11/12.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Chocula78 said:
Using Matt's Utility to fastboot back to .211 didn't do a damn thing. Now I can't hold a charge for more than 5 minutes. It must be a battery issue. Good thing my warranty isn't up until 11/11/12.

I'm guessing the battery is bad. Just a guess though

Sent from my XT912 on full throttle jelly bean