My Battery Life Writeup

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by NiceGuysFinishLast, Jan 22, 2011.

1. biknut1

biknut1 New Member

Battery life, what else?

Hey there Nice Guys-

Dude, I just have to tell you- if I knew where you were right now I would get a ticket and fly there to---- kiss you on the mouth!!!!!

I read your original write up which made me start thinking. My D2G is rooted, Fission 2.4.3, bloatware frozen, screen set way dark, timeout in 1 minute. But I couldn't make it through a day of work with the stock battery, unless I just didn't use the phone.

I work in a factory, so my use time is limited to breaks- about 1/2 hour, and some talk time with the wife before work. Since we work different shifts, we chat on my way inside and at lunch, usually about 1 1/2 hours. With that talk-time and the 30 minutes of web and FB, I was lucky to get home with 20%. That was if I didn't try using it at all on the way home. I noticed this week that I would loose 10% every time I looked at the phone at break- every 2 hours. That is in airplane mode, or not changing anything. Side note: This past week I did start looking for anything that used current all the time and started deleting stuff. I deleted Google Search Bar, a clock built in to Fission, and a Battery Widget. I started seeing an improvement right away- I think it may have been the battery widget.

I have been reluctant to download a bunch of for-pay programs. Not because I am that cheap, but because I didn't want to pay for a truckload of junk and only use a couple apps. But today I downloaded your Battery Pro and SetCPU. I had no idea where to start with SetCPU, so I copied your settings as closely as I could.

Today at work I couldn't believe how much battery I had left! I talked with the wife both times today about normal amount of time, used Facebook and the web during my breaks, and I left work tonight with 50%!!! I am amazed!
    After work I listened to my tunes during the 45 minute drive, and made it home with 40%. I am now sitting at the computer using the phone to tether with (for about an hour) and I still have 30% left!!

Some of the things you mentioned I was unable to do, I think because of running Fission. There are no battery options in Settings now, so I can't do anything there. I tried Screeble Lite for about 10 minutes, but didn't like it. I know- I didn't give it a fair shot. But I use the phone, then hit the off switch for a sec to darken the screen.

I plan on ordering the Gorilla Gadgets extended battery, so I can go many hours and still play all I want on the phone. I also plan on going back through some of the settings in everything and see what adjustments I can make.

But I had to say "Thank You" for your article. You have certainly pointed me in the right direction. With a little more tweaking, I think I can finally learn to live with this phone.

Thank you again- I love you Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biknut
  2. teal94z

teal94z New Member

hey just wanted to let u guys know what kind of battery life i get out of my phone did what the OP did except for rooting it (my phone is stock) and i use juice defender, stock battery as well. now today i didnt use it much for data but i was still texting most of the day (like 100 or so) and listening to music for about 2 hours. it was at 50 percent
  3. xXFlashXx517

xXFlashXx517 New Member

I kinda have SetCPU the same way, I have a D2 but the only thing is because I overclocked my phone to 1.2ghz SetCPU only allows me to go from 300, 600, 800 then 1200... it skips 1000 for some reason.
    Charging: 1200max/ 300min
    Battery < 41% 800max/ 300min
    Battery <16% 600max/ 300min
    Charging USB: 800max/ 300min
    Temperature > 42* C 600max/ 300mn
    Screen Off: 300max/ 300min
  4. volsfan1965

volsfan1965 New Member

just a quick question I followed all the apps u said to freeze and it really messed up my contacts I had to restore to fix it I dont know which one did it but I wish I knew so I could freeze them all
  5. joeyx2

joeyx2 New Member

Go to defrost and see if u checked an extra one by mistake or see if u notice on the has to do with contacts.
  6. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

I am getting the extended battery you pointed today. When I get it do i plug it in and charge it until fully charged? Or do I just put it in and let it drain then fully charge it after phones powers down?
  7. joeyx2

joeyx2 New Member

II would let it drain all the way then charge. I've read u should also let it charge for a few hours after it says its full to be sure it is.
  8. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

By the way. My standard battery was at 70 and when I plugged in the extended it still says 70 :icon_eek:
  9. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

I should wipebat stats after its fully charged?
  10. joeyx2

joeyx2 New Member

Mine was at 60% I think when I put it in so it sounds about right. Yes wipe! let it drain till it dies on u also.
  11. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

Thanks Dude. Will give it a try :icon_ banana:
  12. Joyna

Joyna New Member

Thanks NiceGuys!
    until I read & utilized your wonderful post, my phone (in my pocket & not being used) would heat up suddenly & be dead by lunchtime. The calendar was using most of the battery. I'm not sure which change did it, but the calendar (being used the same amount as before) isn't even on the use list now.
    I've been advised my my in house tech support (hubby) not to root, as it might be harmful to my warranty?
    Thanks again!
    J
  13. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast New Member

Rooting TECHNICALLY invalidates your warranty. However, if you ever need service, it's easy enough to un root (one click, same as rooting). If your hubby is technically inclined, he should read up on SBFing these phones (easy, there's a sticky at the top of the forum), and then you should never need support. If you have Asurion insurance, it doesn't matter if you root, they replace the handset no matter what.
  14. Joyna

Joyna New Member

Getting smarter.... caved & bought new battery; they broke my case putting it back on over the bigger door (glad she did it not me, so the store had to replace the case).

Do you really leave the door off when the case is on?
    Mine fits tight but it's on :).

Is there a way to disable Wi-Fi search?
    I haven't found it yet... and only want to connect to it at home. I hesitate to tell it (wi-fi) to never sleep... It hasn't found one yet that wasn't locked, and at home is fine.
    Thanks again!
    J
  15. supermaughan

supermaughan New Member

I have the same problem. When I froze the apps a bunch of my contacts. I went back and thawed Work Contacts 2.2, Yahoo Contacts 2.2 and SIM contacts 2.2 but they didn't come back. Anyone know what happened and if I can get my contacts back?
  16. nikkicowface

nikkicowface New Member

i found this post extremely useful. i just got my D2 about a week and a half ago and i just did everything you mentioned, almost exactly. im looking forward to seeing a difference in my battery life and want to thank you for posting this thread. :)
  17. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Just a post to subscribe to this thread. I wanna learn from it when I got the time.

Thanks,

NiceGuyWhoFinishedLast
  18. Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno New Member

Offtopic: you could subscribe without posting. The heading line below the page ticker has a menu, Thread Tools. If you click it, there's a “Subscribe to this thread” item.
  19. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Hello, G.Y.

Oh, OK. I'll look into that next time. Thanks for the tip.

Rocky
  20. Indyultra

Indyultra New Member

Did you find out what caused it? Mine does the same. Tring to get my contacts back now.
Search tags for this page
apn for verizon motorola bp6x
can i change my droid bp6x battery without losing my data
droid 2 global data shut off will it save battery

juice defender warning throttling data toggle

juice defender why throttling wifi toggle
my battery on my brand new moto g just drained in 30 minutes
what is global unplug
what is juicedefender sim toolkit
write up on battery