My Battery Life Writeup

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by NiceGuysFinishLast, Jan 22, 2011.

1. gqiq

gqiq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay you're the man but I have another quick question. How can you tell the exact percentages of your display brightness?

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

2. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In quicksettings, there is an option for a brightness slider (also useful for toggling auto brightness), that shows % brightness.

3. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did all of this on my D2 today. Even if it does not work, it was worth it to "Disable Lock Screen". Good residence.

I surf the web a lot. The heaviest use is listening to Radio Stations. I like talk radio and it is mostly AM so these live streams are so much better than an actual radio. I listen with the speaker not the ear buds, so I will never get much more than 3 or 4 hours from a charge anyway.

I really did not like the screen going off in 15 seconds but screeble fixed that fine. I had it set to 30 min before and like one poster just turned the screen off when I put it down. Basically I still do 'cause it is habit now.

I do not not have "activities" when I long press the screen, so my data settings remain the same. I did turn "Mobile Data" off but then I could not use the net. My 3G was gone, but I do not know if the radio was actually off.

"To make a shortcut, long press your home screen, choose activities, go to Data Manager, and it's the first process." Any other way?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  4. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You could try one of the apps like anycut or bettercut that let you make shortcuts to pretty much anything on your phone. It appears that is a difference between the D2 and the D2G. Also, I've discovered that quicksettings DOES turn off the 3G radio, and have switched to using the toggle in that app, if that's helpful.

5. bgrade

bgrade Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this writeup, i've had my global for 3 weeks now and with moderate usage and extended battery on a GSM network, i can now go 1 day and about 4 hours on a single charge (after breaking in the battery of course). heres what i did.

-Stock ROM
    -Rooted
    -Extended battery
    -Bloatware removed with the bloatware removal script in this forum
    -Freeze news and weather app with titanium backup
    -keep screen on lowest brightness and never over 30% when im outside.
    -use SMODA widget to turn off data when im not using it (in my case sometimes using the quicksettings option to turn off data, sometimes causes data to have trouble turning back on, so SMODA is the most reliable option for me)
    -Use setcpu to force the CPU down to 300mhz when the screen is off and 800mhz when the CPU gets over 45*C.
    -Ive set my screen timeout to 2 mins and just turn the screen off when im done using it
    -I make at least 2-3 hours of phone calls per day with 190-220 texts per day.
    35 minutes of web browsing per day.
    -Keep things off using the power control widget and turn them on only when i need them.

And thats about it, right now my phone has been unplugged for 1 day 3 hours and 46 mins and its at 40% with only about 190 txts and 40mins of phone calls and 10mins web browsing.

6. biknut1

biknut1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Battery life, what else?

Hey there Nice Guys-

Dude, I just have to tell you- if I knew where you were right now I would get a ticket and fly there to---- kiss you on the mouth!!!!!

I read your original write up which made me start thinking. My D2G is rooted, Fission 2.4.3, bloatware frozen, screen set way dark, timeout in 1 minute. But I couldn't make it through a day of work with the stock battery, unless I just didn't use the phone.

I work in a factory, so my use time is limited to breaks- about 1/2 hour, and some talk time with the wife before work. Since we work different shifts, we chat on my way inside and at lunch, usually about 1 1/2 hours. With that talk-time and the 30 minutes of web and FB, I was lucky to get home with 20%. That was if I didn't try using it at all on the way home. I noticed this week that I would loose 10% every time I looked at the phone at break- every 2 hours. That is in airplane mode, or not changing anything. Side note: This past week I did start looking for anything that used current all the time and started deleting stuff. I deleted Google Search Bar, a clock built in to Fission, and a Battery Widget. I started seeing an improvement right away- I think it may have been the battery widget.

I have been reluctant to download a bunch of for-pay programs. Not because I am that cheap, but because I didn't want to pay for a truckload of junk and only use a couple apps. But today I downloaded your Battery Pro and SetCPU. I had no idea where to start with SetCPU, so I copied your settings as closely as I could.

Today at work I couldn't believe how much battery I had left! I talked with the wife both times today about normal amount of time, used Facebook and the web during my breaks, and I left work tonight with 50%!!! I am amazed!
    After work I listened to my tunes during the 45 minute drive, and made it home with 40%. I am now sitting at the computer using the phone to tether with (for about an hour) and I still have 30% left!!

Some of the things you mentioned I was unable to do, I think because of running Fission. There are no battery options in Settings now, so I can't do anything there. I tried Screeble Lite for about 10 minutes, but didn't like it. I know- I didn't give it a fair shot. But I use the phone, then hit the off switch for a sec to darken the screen.

I plan on ordering the Gorilla Gadgets extended battery, so I can go many hours and still play all I want on the phone. I also plan on going back through some of the settings in everything and see what adjustments I can make.

But I had to say "Thank You" for your article. You have certainly pointed me in the right direction. With a little more tweaking, I think I can finally learn to live with this phone.

Thank you again- I love you Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biknut

7. teal94z

teal94z New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hey just wanted to let u guys know what kind of battery life i get out of my phone did what the OP did except for rooting it (my phone is stock) and i use juice defender, stock battery as well. now today i didnt use it much for data but i was still texting most of the day (like 100 or so) and listening to music for about 2 hours. it was at 50 percent

8. xXFlashXx517

xXFlashXx517 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I kinda have SetCPU the same way, I have a D2 but the only thing is because I overclocked my phone to 1.2ghz SetCPU only allows me to go from 300, 600, 800 then 1200... it skips 1000 for some reason.
    Charging: 1200max/ 300min
    Battery < 41% 800max/ 300min
    Battery <16% 600max/ 300min
    Charging USB: 800max/ 300min
    Temperature > 42* C 600max/ 300mn
    Screen Off: 300max/ 300min

9. volsfan1965

volsfan1965 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    just a quick question I followed all the apps u said to freeze and it really messed up my contacts I had to restore to fix it I dont know which one did it but I wish I knew so I could freeze them all

10. joeyx2

joeyx2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Go to defrost and see if u checked an extra one by mistake or see if u notice on the has to do with contacts.

11. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I am getting the extended battery you pointed today. When I get it do i plug it in and charge it until fully charged? Or do I just put it in and let it drain then fully charge it after phones powers down?

12. joeyx2

joeyx2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    II would let it drain all the way then charge. I've read u should also let it charge for a few hours after it says its full to be sure it is.

13. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET Active Member

Ratings:
    +6

By the way. My standard battery was at 70 and when I plugged in the extended it still says 70 :icon_eek:

14. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I should wipebat stats after its fully charged?

15. joeyx2

joeyx2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was at 60% I think when I put it in so it sounds about right. Yes wipe! let it drain till it dies on u also.

Search tags for this page
apn for verizon motorola bp6x
can i change my droid bp6x battery without losing my data
droid 2 global data shut off will it save battery

juice defender warning throttling data toggle

juice defender why throttling wifi toggle
my battery on my brand new moto g just drained in 30 minutes
what is global unplug
what is juicedefender sim toolkit
write up on battery