My $500 Brick

Discussion in 'Droid 2 Roms' started by UrbanBounca, Feb 11, 2011.

1. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Premium Member Premium Member

I used Fission for quite sometime, and rarely had any problems at all. I decided to make the switch to Liberty 1.5. I've been using 1.5 for about a week. The other day while using Google Voice, the phone locked up and powered off. It turned right back on, and I was on my way. Today, it did the exact same thing, except it won't do anything now. I've tried booting into Recovery, and it won't go. It will occasionally power on, but it'll go straight to a blank screen (you can see the backlight, but nothing else). I can't even get into bootloader.

Either way, I'm not putting the blame completely on Liberty because it could've been anything, and the simple fact that it happened twice while in the same application, Google Voice.

I'm just making people aware that ROM's, while they are very beneficial, can also damage your device. The chances are slim if you know what you're doing, but there is always the small possibility that you will brick your device, and that was my reality tonight.

I'm not depressed. In fact, I don't care much, and when my new device comes in, I'll probably be back on Liberty, but the fact of the matter is that I'll think twice about putting any ROM on now.
  2. leobg

leobg Member

It could be a faulty device - just a coincidencehave it happened when you started using this ROM. Have you been using overclock?
  3. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

Very sorry to hear this.i have worried about this a lot.I tell myself that I have to find a way to control my device from boot with a computer....no luck so far....isn't there a reset button somewhere?

Can you post any information as far as theme, over clocking, settings, mods, our anything else you can think of that was something unique in configuration.....any potential issue outside of Google voice that might have played a part on this please. Seeking the cause or at least an idea. After reading this I deleted that icon from my quick list. Bummer....I love that app.

Sent from a Liberated Droid 2 using the DF app.
  4. UrbanBounca

I was OC'd to 1.2 with Fission for about a day.

Sure.

Liberty 1.5
    Gingerbread Blue theme
    No O/C
    No advanced settings
    Installed Blur camera add-on

That's all I can think of now.

Like I said, it happened twice, and both times I was in the middle of Google Voice.
  5. UrbanBounca

Well, I was able to get into bootloader, but the phone doesn't recognize when it's plugged in. I'm SOL at this point. I give up. My new device should be here on Tuesday.
  6. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

Thank you very much....what about boot logo or animations?

Have you tried leaving the battery out for 24 hours?
    Sent from a Liberated Droid 2 using the DF app.
  7. UrbanBounca

No, I didn't change anything else. I let the handset sit overnight without the battery, tried it this morning, and still no go.

I've given up on it.
  8. jynylr

jynylr New Member

This same thing happened to me with my OG Droid. I took it in and they overnighted me a replacement.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  9. UrbanBounca

Well, today I was able to get my phone on, and flash the 2.3.20 SBF. I've determined that it's not the ROM or any app that caused the problem, but apparently the flex cable (hardware) has been shot. The screen will show up fine with the handset closed, but when it's opened, the screen will go blank. That's a sign of a bad flex cable.

My new one should be here tomorrow.
  10. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

Well I guess I am very happy to hear this....would have been better if your phone just worked but at least now you know it wasn't the ROM or anything like that.
  11. UrbanBounca

I'm glad I was able to rule out Liberty, because it's an awesome ROM. I haven't used Google Voice the last couple of days, and I don't think I'm going back to it.
  12. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

I actually stopped using it too after your post. I guess I am going to leave GV to something I do on PC.
  13. cydetrakd

cydetrakd New Member

honestly it should be alright you probally had some random error now that you sbfed you should be good to go just clockwork a backup of liberty and try google voice again just to test if the problem arises again.
  14. Azurikai

Azurikai New Member

this seems to be a common problem with Liberty 1.5, it messed up for me as well and I had to get a new device.
  15. holmes6

holmes6 New Member

did you read the whole thread? It seems that there was a hw failure on his phone.
  16. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I don't use Custom ROMs. Every custom ROM I've seen has issues of some sort or another. I won't say my rooted stock Droid is perfect, but it gives me all the benefits I want from rooting without having somebody's idea of an OS in it.

While I can't comment on whether or not Custom ROM's are responsible for bricking a phone, I can tell you that the bootstraps or Clockwork have an issue. I've tried to go back to stock using recovery and it was a mess. I had to sbf to get back to stock and get my phone working good again.

And one last thing. Bricked is a word that's tossed around a lot. Your phone isn't truly bricked unless you can't turn it on at all.
  17. andyc

andyc New Member

I had a similar problem on my original Droid, around the time I was switching back and forth between the Simply Stunning and the most recent Cyanogen ROMs. While on Cyanogen, I was leaving work and my volume started going up, as if the button was being held down. It kept doing this for about an hour. I got home from work and my phone was frozen on a black screen. Reboot would show the load screen and then revert to the black screen. I couldn't get into bootloader either. Strangely, I hit the thing a few times out of frustration while it was frozen and it started right up :blink:

All was for naught however, since a few days later the "c" on the keyboard acted as if being held down, which on any homescreen immediately opened google search and went "cccccccccc...." as fast as I could delete it. It obviously did the same in any app where text entry was possible, rendering the phone useless. That's pretty much why I upgraded. [/pointless vent]

Summary: I hit my angrily struck my black-screened, seemingly-bricked phone like a disobedient servant and it worked again, a little. Haywire phones are haywire. dancedroid