Must have apps on a new droid?

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mobile Defense, hands down the best app on the Android Market and its the best price (free)

I'm also fond of Pandora, Google Voice, Gameboid, and Twidroid Pro if you use Twitter

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Android is supposed to manage memory. It does so pretty well. But some apps aren't written as well as others. Having an app killer won't hurt, so long as you know what you are doing with it. For instance, if you have a Weatherbug widget on your screen, killing Weatherbug will cause problems.

BINGO!

As you say, some apps aren't written as well as others. Occasionally, I've had an application (Dolphin, more times than not) freeze up when I unlock my phone. Once it unfreezes, it slows down my phone to where I could take a short nap between actions. Worst of all, it won't pop up the Force Close/Wait dialog box for me to get rid of it.

That's why I reinstalled a task killer (Advanced Task Killer) the other week. I don't have it set to continuously kill tasks, and I set it to always ignore certain ones for this reason. While the Droid does have a built-in task killer, when the phone is slow, it can take 10+ minutes to just get through the screens to get to it. ATK is quick and easy, and solves my slow application problem instantly. I restart the application, and it's good to go. It was terrible without a task killer for when things like this happen. And, for the record, they don't happen often at all. I had an issue like that once every other week, if that. But still, it's a PITA, and always seemed to come at the least convenient of times. *shrug*

Anyways, the apps I use most often are probably Dolphin Browser and MotoTorch. Multi touch browser is win, and I prefer it's design to the stock browser. As for MotoTorch... I have an 8:30 AM class on the days when my roommate doesn't have anything until either 11:30 AM or 2:30 PM. Rather than turning on one of the two lights in our dorm room and possibly waking him up, I just use MotoTorch to turn on the LED on my phone, and I comb my hair and figure out what to wear using that. It's definitely more than bright enough for these tasks. What a simple, amazing app. :icon_ banana:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few threads on favorite and top apps. Check the General and Applications forums or search.