Must be rooted to install a rom?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Sysgod, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Sysgod

Sysgod Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I was stupid and let the update install on my rooted droid.

Now I want to put Ultimate Droid Rom on my phone and not sure where to go from there. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction please?

2. lockman

lockman Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Ahhh...it's not a PITA. Take it slow and read each line of instruction.

Nate

4. lockman

lockman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This will give you option one.

5. Sysgod

Sysgod Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, if I do this, do I need to back all my apps up and if so what should I use to do it?

6. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I did the same thing you did. Only I forced my OTA update so I did it to myself.

I used RSD Lite and restored back to 2.0.1 and then rooted. I have installed a half dozen custom ROms since (and a half dozen others before all this). I have more fun with a cracked phone.

I can't answer either of your questions. It would be worth it if you want to do it. But if you don't want to it probably would not be worth it. If you're chasing speed or flavors, have at it. But if you like your droid the way it is then leave it alone and enjoy it.

As far as the best ROM. I have been downloading ROMs all day. There is a theme in all the sub forums for each of the rom developers. People post messages that say something to the effect...I tried other ROMs and they were cool, but I keep coming back to **xyz** ROM. They all have their fans. And there are just as many posts from users saying they could not get xyz ROM to work on their phone. I can almost guarantee the user messed some option up while installing cuz he went too fast and did not read the questions before answering them (I've done it too).

The key to rooting is having fun with it. Don't worry about which is best. Try one...see if it does what you like. If not...try another.

I am right now going back to a version of Smoked Glass 6.0.1 with a 900 Mhz over clock that has been working good for me. Others were faster. I like cool CPU and battery temps. I trade a little here for a little there. You may want something completly different.

The disclaimers are there to warn you. Don't let them scare you. Just take your time with it. Or...un bookmark this forum and get all this root stuff out of your head and get on with your life. Really...it is increadibly addictive. I wish they had a Rooters Anonomys so I could get some support and get off this crack! LOL

Nate

7. Sysgod

Sysgod Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I won't be deleting my bookmark. I am newer to the custom rom scene as far as the droid goes, however I had my days of getting my addiction fixes on the iphone when I was heavy at xda.

Fook it, I am gonna do it...

8. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Welcome to the club. Toilet paper rolls over, not under!

Nate

9. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    Sound advice from Nateccnn. It will work out. If you have any troubles just make a thread and help will arrive. Let us know how you made out.

10. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Restoring via SBF is surprisingly easy, dont let it scare you. Just make sure you have a good charge on your battery (even though it will be powered via usb) and make sure the usb cable NEVER becomes unplugged during flashing.

Now to answer your questions: I havent experienced a pure ESE81 but from what Ive heard its not that impressive so I would definitely say install a custom rom. IMO Ultimate Droid 9 is the best, especially since he has the customizer which is extremely awesome (allows to to change: kernels, fonts, boot animations, LWPs, Add/Remove apps, etc...) all you do is select what you want and when you go through the menus the phone reboots and installed everything you selected and then reboots and you're good to go.

I believe the customizer only works for rom manager, which is pretty freaking awesome too. It allows you to do download about 6 different roms over the air and do backup/recovery actions while still in the droid os. you select what you want to do and it reboots and does it.

have a blast with all of this!

11. Sysgod

Sysgod Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I was successful with it...

I then rooted successfully....

I then flashed SPRecovery successfully via ROM MANAGER...

Then I booted to sprecovery and installed UD9... on reboot I get to the DROID and then droid eye and it just keeps cycling that DROID, DROID EYE, DROID, DROID EYE, etc...

Help please lol

12. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First off Id recommend sticking with clockwork recovery if you want to continue to use rom manager since it doesnt support SPRecovery. Also if you plan on sticking with UD9 since blackdroids UDcustomizer is awesome and IIRC only works with rom manager.

Once again the inital boot will take a lot longer than all subsequent boots, give it time and see if it loads. If it doesnt continue, restore youre backup and try installing it via rom manager (youll have to buy it for $4 but its well worth the money) or try installing it again via SPR or CR.

Search tags for this page

android themes droid x 4.5.605