Music...

cleave

Reaction score
I'm trying to organize all my music on my phone. I have some songs that come up as "track xx" that I'm trying to rename. The problem is, I can't find where they are stored at. I have looked at both my internal and external (sd card) storage locations but can't find any music files that are named "track xx." I have a folder called "music" on my sd card that I'm keeping all my music in, however, it seems like more music is available when I open my music player than what I actually have stored in my music folder...I just can't find where all the other music is at. Any ideas?

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
A music player typically will show names based on the tag information saved in the file rather than the actual file name. To me, it sounds like some of your files weren't properly tagged with the track information when they were converted to a digital format. I use Mp3tag to fix music tag information for large groups of files because it can pull in information from online to fill out the tags for you (you can also edit the tag information for tracks in most music library programs like iTunes, Zune, etc.). You'll need to figure out which songs aren't tagged correctly (just listening to a bit from each should help you know which songs, and in turn which files, need to be fixed), and then you can easily edit the information.

OP
cleave

cleave

Reaction score
A music player typically will show names based on the tag information saved in the file rather than the actual file name. To me, it sounds like some of your files weren't properly tagged with the track information when they were converted to a digital format. I use Mp3tag to fix music tag information for large groups of files because it can pull in information from online to fill out the tags for you (you can also edit the tag information for tracks in most music library programs like iTunes, Zune, etc.). You'll need to figure out which songs aren't tagged correctly (just listening to a bit from each should help you know which songs, and in turn which files, need to be fixed), and then you can easily edit the information.

Thank you, but what I'm really wanting to know is where all of the music files are at? For instance, I have a folder named "Van Halen" located in my "music" folder on my sd card. The "Van Halen" folder has ONE song in it. When I open my music player and select "artists"...Van Halen is listed with SEVERAL songs under their name (btw, the one song I have listed in the "Van Halen" folder is not one of them). The problem is that I can't find where those songs are located at. I have checked the internal storage and found nothing. This also seems to be the case with other songs as well.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
If it's music purchased from the play store, and downloaded so it's "available offline", it's stored in internal storage under android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music
It's named by numbers (1.mp3 for example)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Is your music copy protected with DRM? The music will show up when you connect it to your computer through USB with a small square icon inside the music icon, but
it will not show up on your music player.