Music through USB

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by nas179, Mar 3, 2010.

1. nas179

nas179 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if there is a handy app out there to play music through the USB output? I'm hoping that is there isn't one yet there will be soon. I have a front USB input on my aftermarket car stereo and would like to be able to charge my droid and play the music from it at the same time with one cable instead of 2. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. SL-1200

SL-1200 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would also like to know this. Good question.

3. zasran

zasran Member

Ratings:
    +0
    USB is for data only, your car stereo mounts the Droid (or an mp3 player etc.) in USB Mass Storage mode and can play music stored in the device.

AFAIK there is no way to use USB for general audio output, even if Droid supported it it is very unlikely that your car stero supports it (you can check the manuals).

ero

4. nas179

nas179 New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Yes, you are correct, USB is for data, but you are incorrect about my car stereo being able to handle said USB data. I have an aftermarket Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD currently in my car. It has a front USB input for whatever USB device I want to hook up, whether it's a hard drive, a flash drive, an ipod, or any other mp3 player. I have tried it with all of these and every single one has worked well. However, my problem lies in the deck not recognizing the Droid as a storage device or an mp3 player. It tells me that it cannot recognize the format period. This is why I am asking the question. The deck is capable of reading data (music in this case, or video if I really wanted because it is a video player as well and has played movies and video clips saved on my ipod perfectly) however, as of now the Droid is not capable (at least not that I know of yet) of outputting the data in a way that such devices can use. I have tried it on about 15 different aftermarket radios and none of them recognize it at all, so it's not a Pioneer thing. All of these decks recognize everything from a flash drive up to a small hard drive, ipod, zune, any sony or sandisk mp3 player... so there should be no issue.

5. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If I plug my droid into my Alpine's USB port and tell the droid to Mount, then my Alpine finds all my music just fine :)

6. zasran

zasran Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was not claiming your stereo is not able to handle the data, you can most probably play files stored on Droid.

What I was saying that general audio output stream cannot go to USB and even if it could stereo would not be able to handle it.

As far as using Droid as USB Mass Storage device it should work, worked for me (and other people in the forum) in number of cases. When you connect the Droid you need to select Mount in the menu (on the Droid).

If it doesn't work you might want to post detailed description of what you do and any messages/output on both stereo and Droid.

ero

7. nas179

nas179 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i've tried mounting it and nothing. i've tried it with some sony, pioneer, kenwood, and jvc units and the same goes for all... anyway, what's happening is this:

plug in usb, mount, droid says sd card unavailable, stereo says format read. no changes when i unmount and mount again. no change when i unplug and plug back in. ideas?

8. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Weird, once I mount on mine, it only takes my stereo a few minutes to find the songs. I even have my music in /media/music/ so its not in the root directory or anything.

9. Schizms

Schizms New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pioneer DEH-3100UB(amazing HU by the way!) and mounting the droid works fine for me. The trick was to mount the droid after the unit was switched to usb mode. The head unit says format read, then i mount the droid and everything works well from there.

Every time i switch to radio, cd, aux, and I want to go back to the droid i have to remount it after switching to usb on the HU. I think the HU disconnects the usb connection for a split second when switching inputs, causing the droid to think it was unplugged and plugged back in... so you have to remount it.

Works for me :):icon_ banana: Hopefully this helps... if not, good luck :motdroidhoriz:

10. zasran

zasran Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like you have problem with SD card, if Droid says it's not available then obviously it's not going to be mounted. This does not look like USB problem.

Can you access SD card in the Droid itself (using terminal or some file manager)?

Edit: you can also try to mount it on the computer, it might give more useful troubleshooting messages (specially linux, prints a lot of stuff in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages)

ero

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  11. FireDroid

FireDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hook mine up via USB to my Ford F150 SYNC system and it works fine. I just have to mount it and the radio recognizes the files and plays them! It even gives me a readout on the screen of the song and the artist. I can control everything via voice or steering wheel mounted controls.

12. Schizms

Schizms New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think he was saying that the droid could not access the sd card after he mounted it... which is a good thing.

edit:
    unless it said sd card unavailable when he tries to mount it and it cant be mounted... in which case i would think he would know about that problem since much of the phone caches on the sd card.
    end edit

Also after rereading through the thread, it seems like what I suggested was already tried. In which case, I'm not too sure whats wrong. Maybe try waiting a min or two for the songs to show up...

It takes about 1-10 seconds on my pioneer to go from format read to playing (it says format read that whole time) I have a few hundred songs on my droid and my HU finds all the files no matter the file structure... it even found the cache for the navigation voices for google maps after i used it to navigate somewhere haha :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  13. nas179

nas179 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My problem is after I mount it. The stereo continues to say format read and my Droid says SD card unavailable. I have tried to unmount and remount with no success. I have also waited a few minutes but my Droid continues to say SD unavailable. The music plays fine through my Droid and I can go through an aux cable but that's no fun

14. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am actually torn between using my AUX or using my USB inputs. The USB sounds better and displays the song info on the stereo but when I get a call, it doesn't come through my speakers so I either need to use the speakerphone (sucks) or connect the AUX also and switch sources whenever I get a call.

So I usually end up leaving it on AUX :(

15. mursepaolo

mursepaolo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    is there anyway to set music playback through the USB port? i just bought a Honda CR-Z hybrid and it has a usb port for ipod and music players. there any way to make the droid play music through USB?

Search tags for this page
13 honda crz android stream music no navigation
honda crz android

honda crz galaxy s3

mainkan musik android via usb
play audio from galaxy s3 through honda
samsung galaxy s3 honda usb
samsung galaxy s5 usb issue 2014 honda
samsung usb musik i honda cr v 2010
usb music in 2010 honda crv
what can i connect to crz usb