Music on sd card causes bb.4 to freeze.

noreaga0221

Reaction score
I had the damnest time trying to get 2.2 on my droid but never had any luck. It would completely lock up and I would have to go back to 2.1 and everything would be ok.

So I backed up my cd card to my computer then used the droid to format it. Used rom manager to install bb.4 and it ran beautifully. Scored 1520 on quadrant.

So tonight I transferred my music, pictures and videos back over to the phone. Then it froze a couple mins after power up. I used it to post this but I have the sd card unmounted.

Any ideas? Corrupt song?

Phone says 7gigs free on the sd card and over 150 internal.

Last edited:

dpanetta

Reaction score
I too had an issue with the Motorola Droid locking up. This showed its ugly head this morning when I woke up to an OS update to version 2.2 to my Droid phone. Once the update was completed, I could no longer use my phone. Keyboard would lock up. Battery would start to cook, and I could not even shut it off using the power button. I had to remove the battery to shut it off. A safe boot would not help. The SOB at Verizon support talked me into a factory reset, which did not help, and now my applications and contacts are gone too! After talking to the (NO HELP) support at Verizon, I started my own troubleshooting and removed the SD card. The phone booted up with no problems. I went to the local Verizon store, and they gave me a SanDisk reader since most 3rd party readers could not recognize a 16 gig SD card. I copied all of the data from the card to my computer and reformatted the card. Then I replaced the folders one at a time and tested my phone. As soon as I replaced the music folder, it was lockup city all over again! Removing the SD card from the phone and using my computer, I started the tedious process of finding the corrupt file, and sure enough there was ONE music file in the 150+ songs on the card that was corrupt (file name: shy boy.wma). Playing the song in windows media player, the song would play about two thirds through, then media player errors out with message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." I reinstalled all of the other songs back to my phone, and there are no issues now. I wish the SOB at the Verizon (no) support knew this. Now I am working on reinstalling all of my contacts and applications. A real pain in the as$.

OP
N

noreaga0221

Reaction score
I too had an issue with the Motorola Droid locking up. This showed its ugly head this morning when I woke up to an OS update to version 2.2 to my Droid phone. Once the update was completed, I could no longer use my phone. Keyboard would lock up. Battery would start to cook, and I could not even shut it off using the power button. I had to remove the battery to shut it off. A safe boot would not help. The SOB at Verizon support talked me into a factory reset, which did not help, and now my applications and contacts are gone too! After talking to the (NO HELP) support at Verizon, I started my own troubleshooting and removed the SD card. The phone booted up with no problems. I went to the local Verizon store, and they gave me a SanDisk reader since most 3rd party readers could not recognize a 16 gig SD card. I copied all of the data from the card to my computer and reformatted the card. Then I replaced the folders one at a time and tested my phone. As soon as I replaced the music folder, it was lockup city all over again! Removing the SD card from the phone and using my computer, I started the tedious process of finding the corrupt file, and sure enough there was ONE music file in the 150+ songs on the card that was corrupt (file name: shy boy.wma). Playing the song in windows media player, the song would play about two thirds through, then media player errors out with message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." I reinstalled all of the other songs back to my phone, and there are no issues now. I wish the SOB at the Verizon (no) support knew this. Now I am working on reinstalling all of my contacts and applications. A real pain in the as$.

Thanks for the update. 2.2 must do media scanning differently than 2.1.

Also, if you restart the phone and mount the sd card right away it will not freeze.

DaveNorth

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming my suspicions when my phone locked up after moving to a certain song. I thought I might at least be able to restart my phone and manually remove the corrupt song but Froyo remembered and locked up right away upon restart so I had to manually remove it from the SD card and phone is back to normal. It's just too bad I didn't already have the correct SD card reader on my computer and had to spend $10 to buy one.