Music from phone to Bluetooth then Bluetooth to car stereo via aux.

marioval

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Bluetooth unit to put in my car that plugs into the cigarette lighter to recieve power. This unit will recieve music from my phone via bluetooth then output the music into my car stereo through a 3.5mm aux cable, I dont to use an FM transmitter. The unit should also have a 1amp usb port so I can plug my phone and charge it. Does such a unit exist. I did a good old fashioned Google search and found a few that are listed as no longer available as they were very old web pages.

I found this 2 year old thread where someone with an OG Droid was looking for the same thing. I followed all the links there and every unit is either not exactly what I am looking for or is no longer available.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-need-bluetooth-receiver-w-3-5mm-car-aux.html

Thanks.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a lot. You're probably better off buying a new stereo. I mean if you can plug in to the stereo with a 3.5mm cable why not just plug it into your phone?

OP
M

marioval

Reaction score
To eliminate having to plug the 3.5mm wire everytime, and also to make in car phone calls easier.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
While you COULD buy a new bluetooth enabled stereo with a USB port AND a 3.5mm jack, you could also get Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X2 ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Car Electronics

Not sure how much a new stereo would be, but with those features, I'm going to guess more expensive than $45 with free shipping. Mine should be coming today or tomorrow. Plenty of great reviews, and has everything both you and I were looking for. In case the BT doesn't work out so well, it has the 3.5mm output to use like a regular FM transmitter. Also includes a USB to Micro USB cable and port to charge your phone. Can't wait to try it out!

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
While you COULD buy a new bluetooth enabled stereo with a USB port AND a 3.5mm jack, you could also get Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X2 ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Car Electronics

Not sure how much a new stereo would be, but with those features, I'm going to guess more expensive than $45 with free shipping. Mine should be coming today or tomorrow. Plenty of great reviews, and has everything both you and I were looking for. In case the BT doesn't work out so well, it has the 3.5mm output to use like a regular FM transmitter. Also includes a USB to Micro USB cable and port to charge your phone. Can't wait to try it out!

Only reason I didn't suggest one of these is that I had one and it was horrible. I went back to my wired(3.5mm cable) FM transmitter.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Fair enough, but thats one reason I went with this, is because if the BT fails, it has a normal FM transmitter built in as well. But I have a friend with an almost identical device and his works great. These things usually are hit or miss though. Nothing wrong with buying a new stereo, but I feel like that'll be a few hundred dollars, which, frankly, I'd love to blow a few hundred on a new stereo but that just isn't an option right now :(

tobiasg

Reaction score
I feel like I should add - if anyone is considering a new stereo visit Crutchfield Car Selector I am not so technically saavy beyond phones and computers and they give you everything you need plus super helpful support to install your own stuff. I wouldn't recommend buying DUAL though, at least the low end, 2x now my DUAL bluetooth module has died - a bit of a bummer!

EDIT: SO I have been working hard on this lovely Friday afternoon and I just found this guy
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX50BT/JVC-KD-X50BT.html

Special Android™ features
Android™ and Blackberry™ users can control PANDORA® right from the stereo through the Bluetooth connection — no wires needed. And JVC's Android app lets you use your compatible Android phone's touchscreen to control the action using finger swipes and gestures — for example, make an upside-down "V" to change the source. So pop your Android phone in a mount, and you can reach down and skip a track without taking your eyes off the road.

For $99 bucks!?

I do have a crutchfield referral code: p54rb-pef6a-r27q3 if you buy at checkout is a spot to stick that in.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Just an update on that device I posted...been using mine all day, hasn't cut out ONCE! Great quality, completely wireless, but also has a USB port for charging. Paired up instantly with no hassle and comes with two micro-usb cables that are slightly different depending on what device you use, as well as a double sided 3.5mm cable if you don't want to/can't use BT. For $45 and free shipping I am extremely satisfied with this. I've been using FM transmitters for years, most of my jobs have consisted of A LOT of driving, so I couldn't live without one (this last week since my last one broke has been hell). I was a little worried because I've only used one BT transmitter before, and it was the VZW brand, and it SUCKED. Was like $80, ran off a battery, and was just an overall fail. So either BT technology has come A LONG way in the past year, or VZ products just suck in general. Pretty sure I know which one. But I bought another wired after that, used it for the past year and a half and broke it accidentally when I hit it with my foot. Thought I'd give the BT another chance, was a good deal, and so far am EXTREMELY happy. At this point, one of the best phone accessory purchases I've ever made. We'll see how long it can keep it up...

9wire

Reaction score
I did this exact thing a couple years ago, with my D1, and Moto S-705 stereo bluetooth headset. It has built in caller ID, AD2P, and uses 3.5mm ear buds. I got a cable from rat shack with male ends, plug one end into the Bluetooth, the other into the aux input. Clip the BT to the visor, good to go. You can even talk on your phone through your stereo. I'm on my second one, the first lasted over 2 years of 8 hours of daily use, working outside. Battery lasts at least 10 hours on a charge, uses mini usb. Can get them now on a popular auction site for around $40.
Bluetooth SoundPilot S705 - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. Middle East - Africa

OP
M

marioval

Reaction score
So I ended up ordering this one from BestBuy and it should arrive next week.

Kanex - AirBlue Bluetooth Music Receiver - AIRBLUE

It's not exactly what I was looking for it has one feature I never even considered, being able to bring it in the house and using it on my home stereo. This will be great when the wife and I are entertaining. I can just keep the phone in my pocket and be "DJ" from wherever I am.