Multitrack audio recording studio app.

sticks61

Reaction score
Does any one know of a GOOD Multitrack audio recording studio app? Free would be best, but I'll buy one if it's good...

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
J4t is decent and free. Yes, it needs a lot of help but it's a start. It's much better than the other free ones I found.

One input is fine for basic song sketching... you just overdub record 4 passes, one for each instrument or voice.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
S

sticks61

Reaction score
I couldn't find the free version of J4t.... How do I find it?

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
Very sorry, you didn't find free j4t because it isn't free. Fourtrack lite is the free one and it, in my opinion is worthless. J4T is about $3 something USD.

One more note... J4T also comes bundled in something called "music kit". I don't personally think its worth the extra dollar or two. The metronome was ok, but I couldn't figure out in 15 minutes or less how to make it work as I record on 4 track, maybe it can though. The tuner was pretty but not very good, there are better free ones out there (gstrings). The riff ripper distorted the sound so much that I didn't think I could find a use for it either.

If market would give me more than 15 minutes to review an app I might be persuaded differently, but that's my high speed review.

OP
S

sticks61

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond... I got the J4t and it too had latency problems. I got the four tracks lite and use it so far. Wish there was a no latency 4 track out there....

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
If you are using it with headphones, you shouldn't hear any noticable latency. The problem stems from the mic picking up the tracks that are playing.

I don't have any more latency than my desktop recording setup, which is very very close to zero latency, not enough to be discernable.

J4t is a much better interface than fourtracks lite, the biggie for me being that you can mix reletave volume of tracks.

Does anyone know of any external mics that can be used with the Droid 1?

Heh, I could really have fun if I could run an external input of some kind...!

OP
S

sticks61

Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong.... I tried using the headphones but had the same latency problem. I returned the J4t and just use the four tracks lite... It works good enough to document ideas...

As to the question about uloops... I have it. It is an app that uses loops that are rendered from a server... I only listened to a demo and it sounded pretty good, although time jumps from phrase to phrase....:)

Firewing

Reaction score
in northern cali, where the desert and the mountai
I must be doing something wrong.... I tried using the headphones but had the same latency problem. I returned the J4t and just use the four tracks lite... It works good enough to document ideas...

As to the question about uloops... I have it. It is an app that uses loops that are rendered from a server... I only listened to a demo and it sounded pretty good, although time jumps from phrase to phrase....:)

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
It looks like some pretty nice stuff has been done with uloops, but it doesn't fit what I want to do. If u like loops and beats kind of stuff, I think you could really have fun with it. I mostly work with 4 part vocals or live instruments.

What's the story with sonoma that someone mentioned? Are they developing for I phone and not android? I know nothing about them. Just trying to pin down who the players are in this niche.

Motty73

Reaction score
multi track recording...

Hi guys all I want to do is use an existing mp3 as background music and record my voice over that using my phone. I tried that 4 track lite and it wouldn't let me import the mp3 that I wanted to use as a backing track. any help would be appreciated :D

thanks