Multitasking Advantages of iPhone

darreno1

Reaction score
True. However, since the iPhone allows the entire storage (e.g. 16 gigs) to be treated as internal memory, the opening and closing of applications is not nearly as time consuming as on the Android platform.

There are advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

Since when is opening and closing apps on Android time consuming? It takes a split second to open most apps. In fact I see no difference in the time from when I select the app to it opening between my Droid and my friend's iPhone 3gs. However because I can long press and switch between the last running apps easily, I can often switch between used apps quicker than he can.

nateccnn

Reaction score
You're kidding me...right? I'm listening to Cold Play, Yellow right now as I respond to this.

Nate

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
True. However, since the iPhone allows the entire storage (e.g. 16 gigs) to be treated as internal memory, the opening and closing of applications is not nearly as time consuming as on the Android platform.

There are advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

Since when is opening and closing apps on Android time consuming? It takes a split second to open most apps. In fact I see no difference in the time from when I select the app to it opening between my Droid and my friend's iPhone 3gs. However because I can long press and switch between the last running apps easily, I can often switch between used apps quicker than he can.

Of course you can switch between "last running apps" easily. That's because Android maintains as much as it can in internal memory and doesn't read an app out unless (a) you tell it to do so or (b) it needs the memory. Eventually, though, the Droid will have to swap out an application and when needed pull it back into "ram". The iPhone doesn't suffer from that penalty. Everything is in "ram" all the time. The only limitation is the size of the storage in the phone.

Look. Design is not a cost-free game. Every approach has its advantages and disadvantages. Since Apple controls both the iPhone's music player and its browser (as well as other proprietary functions) it can manage the functionality and performance with its o/s. It can provide multitasking to favored (i.e. Apple owned) apps and deny it to third parties. That may seem "unfair" or otherwise "undesirable," but it means that Apple can provide a relatively seamless user experience.

Google, on the other hand, has taken a different approach; one that makes sense for a platform without a huge installed base of dedicated users. They've limited the functionality integrated into the o/s and thrown open the doors for others to provide it. This has undeniable advantages in terms of flexibility. It also has undeniable disadvantages in terms of managing performance and functionality. Makes for a great geek playground and a problematic consumer device.

J

Johnly

One thing that pisses me, is the iPhone can surf the web while on a call. But at least I can run multiple apps! I can't remember the last time someone was on a game show and called me for an answer! ha ha

You can do it on the Droid if you are on WiFi....just not on CDMA-only
OK, yeah, then I guess I can, just need to hook up my linksys n router, and need to be close to it for the event. Good point:)

J

Johnly

Computing Dictionary

multitasking definition

computer, parallel
(Or "multi-tasking", "multiprogramming", "concurrent processing", "concurrency", "process scheduling") A technique used in an operating system for sharing a single processor between several independent jobs. The first multitasking operating systems were designed in the early 1960s.
Under "cooperative multitasking" the running task decides when to give up the CPU and under "pre-emptive multitasking" (probably more common) a system process called the "scheduler" suspends the currently running task after it has run for a fixed period known as a "time-slice". In both cases the scheduler is responsible for selecting the next task to run and (re)starting it.
The running task may relinquish control voluntarily even in a pre-emptive system if it is waiting for some external event. In either system a task may be suspended prematurely if a hardware interrupt occurs, especially if a higher priority task was waiting for this event and has therefore become runnable.
The scheduling algorithm used by the scheduler determines which task will run next. Some common examples are round-robin scheduling, priority scheduling, shortest job first and guaranteed scheduling.
Multitasking introduces overheads because the processor spends some time in choosing the next job to run and in saving and restoring tasks' state, but it reduces the worst-case time from job submission to completion compared with a simple batch system where each job must finish before the next one starts. Multitasking also means that while one task is waiting for some external event, the CPU to do useful work on other tasks.
A multitasking operating system should provide some degree of protection of one task from another to prevent tasks from interacting in unexpected ways such as accidentally modifying the contents of each other's memory areas.
The jobs in a multitasking system may belong to one or many users. This is distinct from parallel processing where one user runs several tasks on several processors. Time-sharing is almost synonymous but implies that there is more than one user.
Multithreading is a kind of multitasking with low overheads and no protection of tasks from each other, all threads share the same memory.
(1998-04-24
source=dictionary reference.com

darreno1

Reaction score
Of course you can switch between "last running apps" easily. That's because Android maintains as much as it can in internal memory and doesn't read an app out unless (a) you tell it to do so or (b) it needs the memory. Eventually, though, the Droid will have to swap out an application and when needed pull it back into "ram". The iPhone doesn't suffer from that penalty. Everything is in "ram" all the time. The only limitation is the size of the storage in the phone.

This 'penalty' you speak of is a phantom one because most Android users will not notice it, as Android does the swap so seamlessly. I fail to see the advantage you speak of for everyday tasks unless you're talking about huge apps like games in which case I'd agree, but that's only for now.

Google, on the other hand, has taken a different approach; one that makes sense for a platform without a huge installed base of dedicated users. They've limited the functionality integrated into the o/s and thrown open the doors for others to provide it. This has undeniable advantages in terms of flexibility. It also has undeniable disadvantages in terms of managing performance and functionality. Makes for a great geek playground and a problematic consumer device.

Well you're entitled to your opinion but many on here would disagree that Android is just for geeks and can't provide a seamless user experience. I had an iPhone so can speak from both perspectives and I consider the Android experience far superior to that of the iPhone in almost every way. And Android does an excellent job managing memory on its own so sometimes with the right minds in the driver seat, one can have their cake and eat it too.

slinky

Reaction score
Comparing the iPhone OS to Android is silly. The iPhone, as much as it has evolved, shows many signs of being primarily a music player. I'm sure they will improve it but it's not optimal.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Believe me I hate the iPhone just as much as the next man..
I don't hate the iPhone. I love the Droid. One doesn't require the other despite what many here apparently think. I don't have the time or energy to focus on hating every single solution out there that doesn't meet my needs.

Well you're entitled to your opinion but many on here would disagree that Android is just for geeks and can't provide a seamless user experience. I had an iPhone so can speak from both perspectives and I consider the Android experience far superior to that of the iPhone in almost every way. And Android does an excellent job managing memory on its own so sometimes with the right minds in the driver seat, one can have their cake and eat it too.
...and that's your own opinion. There are certainly those that have used both but prefer the iPhone experience. Each platforms has its pros and cons. Each has its fans and detractors. Neither will appeal to everyone out there.

Comparing the iPhone OS to Android is silly.
It really depends on where your priorities lie and how much research you've done. It's inevitable that they will be compared just as any two smartphones competing in the market would be compared.

Darkseider

Reaction score
What are the advantages of Android over iPhone as far as multi-tasking? Well that was covered pretty thoroughly by the other folks that responded. The other advantage that Android offers over the iPhone is Freedom as in beer/speech. You are open and able to create whatever app you want, modify the kernel and tweak away to your hearts content. This is the one advantage that Android and all of its' devices will enjoy over an iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc... You the user has the ultimate in control over the device YOU paid for.

darreno1

Reaction score
...and that's your own opinion. There are certainly those that have used both but prefer the iPhone experience. Each platforms has its pros and cons. Each has its fans and detractors. Neither will appeal to everyone out there.

Well of course it's an opinion just like every other post on here. And I never said or implied there aren't fans or detractors of both devices. I was merely responding to the idea that Android can mostly provide a seamless experience to only geeks.