Multitasking Advantages of iPhone

zfly9

Reaction score
Multitasking Advantages over iPhone

Ok I've always wondered this...

What can the Droid do in terms of multitasking that the iPhone can't?

Believe me I hate the iPhone just as much as the next man.. But my friends who have iPhones (we all have these friends) say that they can listen to music and browse the web..

What is it that we can do that they can't (at least until they get OS 4.0)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
iphone CANT multitask..yet. i think OS4.0 comes out sometime soon which has some multitasking inc. but idk to what extent

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
All they can do is listen to music(the iPod app) that's all. No Pandora or anything. Just the music they have on their phone

OP
Z

zfly9

Reaction score
iphone CANT multitask..yet. i think OS4.0 comes out sometime soon which has some multitasking inc. but idk to what extent

I don't think I asked it right.. I know they can't multitask. And I am asking what we can do exactly that the iPhone can't.

All they can do is listen to music(the iPod app) that's all. No Pandora or anything. Just the music they have on their phone

So they can't listen to Pandora and browse the web? If they listen to Pandora they can't do anything else? Can they look through the contacts or anything...

I'm confused here!

meepstone

Reaction score

I don't think I asked it right.. I know they can't multitask. And I am asking what we can do exactly that the iPhone can't.

So they can't listen to Pandora and browse the web? If they listen to Pandora they can't do anything else? Can they look through the contacts or anything...

I'm confused here!

I think what he meant was you can listen to music on your iphone that you put on it from your computer and do other things. But, you cannot listen to music through pandora or another music app and use another app or browse web at same time.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
droid. i can play a game while texting with a person and check my emails (switch between apps - hold home button) while streaming music. other things too but that seemed sufficient

OP
Z

zfly9

Reaction score
droid. i can play a game while texting with a person and check my emails (switch between apps - hold home button) while streaming music. other things too but that seemed sufficient

Ok so the iPhone has to close out of the game when a text comes in? Or has to end Pandora to respond to a text?

Reaction score
If you're checking your email, listening to the stock browser, and suddenly receive a text message, you can go to the message by pulling down the notification bar, and your music will still be playing. Say there's a link in the message that you follow to a youtube video and your phone pauses your song and plays you the video. After the video finishes you remember about your email still having unread messages so you press either back a few times or hold the home button to see the last 6 apps used. When you get back to your email, you will be in the same message you left off on or scrolled the same amount down the list. Now clearly, the subject of this example as ADHD, but you get the point. The iPhone cannot do this. You'll have to reopen the music app, reload your email, and go back to the homescreen each time in between. Trust me, if you had to use one, you would notice it fast.

Reaction score

Ok so the iPhone has to close out of the game when a text comes in? Or has to end Pandora to respond to a text?
Yes, and then reload the game to resume.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sorry. Not true. Multitasking is a function of the operating system and the iPhone o/s multitasks just as Android does. Both emerge from a long line of multitasking operating systems that began with Unix and continues through Linux and Apple's own operating system.

The difference between the Android platform and the iPhone is that the latter does not allow multitasking for THIRD PARTY APPLICATIONS. Thus, the iPhone can play music and browse the web at the same time because each application is tied wrist and ankle to the iPhone O/S.

(Note: Don't confuse this with the talk and surf simultaneously issue. That has to do with the CDMA vs GSM networks on which Verizon and AT&T operate.)

In the Android environment there is essentially no restriction on multitasking among applications, whether part of the o/s or external applications. This introduces both much greater flexibility and potential memory management problems not experienced by the iPhone.

ldimick

Reaction score

Yes. The developer has to include code to save the game state at the time of closing to make it appear to be paused. You cannot open a web page and move to something else while it opens the page. They do it this way to maintain the appearance of smoothness. It is not a problem for all people. But for users who like to have freedom of choice for options and software it is a deal breaker.

J

Johnly

One thing that pisses me, is the iPhone can surf the web while on a call. But at least I can run multiple apps! I can't remember the last time someone was on a game show and called me for an answer! ha ha

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yes. The developer has to include code to save the game state at the time of closing to make it appear to be paused. You cannot open a web page and move to something else while it opens the page. They do it this way to maintain the appearance of smoothness. It is not a problem for all people. But for users who like to have freedom of choice for options and software it is a deal breaker.

True. However, since the iPhone allows the entire storage (e.g. 16 gigs) to be treated as internal memory, the opening and closing of applications is not nearly as time consuming as on the Android platform.

There are advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

rotordroid

Reaction score
One thing that pisses me, is the iPhone can surf the web while on a call. But at least I can run multiple apps! I can't remember the last time someone was on a game show and called me for an answer! ha ha

You can do it on the Droid if you are on WiFi....just not on CDMA-only

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

You can do it on the Droid if you are on WiFi....just not on CDMA-only

As noted in a post above, this has nothing to do with "multitasking."