Multitasking Advantages of iPhone

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by zfly9, Apr 6, 2010.

1. zfly9

zfly9 New Member

Multitasking Advantages over iPhone

Ok I've always wondered this...

What can the Droid do in terms of multitasking that the iPhone can't?

Believe me I hate the iPhone just as much as the next man.. But my friends who have iPhones (we all have these friends) say that they can listen to music and browse the web..

What is it that we can do that they can't (at least until they get OS 4.0)
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

iphone CANT multitask..yet. i think OS4.0 comes out sometime soon which has some multitasking inc. but idk to what extent
  3. dodgersrgood

dodgersrgood New Member

All they can do is listen to music(the iPod app) that's all. No Pandora or anything. Just the music they have on their phone
  4. zfly9

zfly9 New Member

I don't think I asked it right.. I know they can't multitask. And I am asking what we can do exactly that the iPhone can't.

So they can't listen to Pandora and browse the web? If they listen to Pandora they can't do anything else? Can they look through the contacts or anything...

I'm confused here!
  5. meepstone

meepstone New Member

I think what he meant was you can listen to music on your iphone that you put on it from your computer and do other things. But, you cannot listen to music through pandora or another music app and use another app or browse web at same time.
  6. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

droid. i can play a game while texting with a person and check my emails (switch between apps - hold home button) while streaming music. other things too but that seemed sufficient
  7. zfly9

zfly9 New Member

Ok so the iPhone has to close out of the game when a text comes in? Or has to end Pandora to respond to a text?
  8. HermitObserver

HermitObserver New Member

If you're checking your email, listening to the stock browser, and suddenly receive a text message, you can go to the message by pulling down the notification bar, and your music will still be playing. Say there's a link in the message that you follow to a youtube video and your phone pauses your song and plays you the video. After the video finishes you remember about your email still having unread messages so you press either back a few times or hold the home button to see the last 6 apps used. When you get back to your email, you will be in the same message you left off on or scrolled the same amount down the list. Now clearly, the subject of this example as ADHD, but you get the point. The iPhone cannot do this. You'll have to reopen the music app, reload your email, and go back to the homescreen each time in between. Trust me, if you had to use one, you would notice it fast.
  9. HermitObserver

HermitObserver New Member

Yes, and then reload the game to resume.
  10. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Sorry. Not true. Multitasking is a function of the operating system and the iPhone o/s multitasks just as Android does. Both emerge from a long line of multitasking operating systems that began with Unix and continues through Linux and Apple's own operating system.

The difference between the Android platform and the iPhone is that the latter does not allow multitasking for THIRD PARTY APPLICATIONS. Thus, the iPhone can play music and browse the web at the same time because each application is tied wrist and ankle to the iPhone O/S.

(Note: Don't confuse this with the talk and surf simultaneously issue. That has to do with the CDMA vs GSM networks on which Verizon and AT&T operate.)

In the Android environment there is essentially no restriction on multitasking among applications, whether part of the o/s or external applications. This introduces both much greater flexibility and potential memory management problems not experienced by the iPhone.
  11. ldimick

ldimick New Member

Yes. The developer has to include code to save the game state at the time of closing to make it appear to be paused. You cannot open a web page and move to something else while it opens the page. They do it this way to maintain the appearance of smoothness. It is not a problem for all people. But for users who like to have freedom of choice for options and software it is a deal breaker.
  12. Johnly

Johnly Guest

One thing that pisses me, is the iPhone can surf the web while on a call. But at least I can run multiple apps! I can't remember the last time someone was on a game show and called me for an answer! ha ha
  13. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

True. However, since the iPhone allows the entire storage (e.g. 16 gigs) to be treated as internal memory, the opening and closing of applications is not nearly as time consuming as on the Android platform.

There are advantages and disadvantages of each approach.
  14. rotordroid

rotordroid New Member

You can do it on the Droid if you are on WiFi....just not on CDMA-only
  15. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

As noted in a post above, this has nothing to do with "multitasking."
  16. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

Since when is opening and closing apps on Android time consuming? It takes a split second to open most apps. In fact I see no difference in the time from when I select the app to it opening between my Droid and my friend's iPhone 3gs. However because I can long press and switch between the last running apps easily, I can often switch between used apps quicker than he can.
  17. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

You're kidding me...right? I'm listening to Cold Play, Yellow right now as I respond to this.

Nate
  18. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Of course you can switch between "last running apps" easily. That's because Android maintains as much as it can in internal memory and doesn't read an app out unless (a) you tell it to do so or (b) it needs the memory. Eventually, though, the Droid will have to swap out an application and when needed pull it back into "ram". The iPhone doesn't suffer from that penalty. Everything is in "ram" all the time. The only limitation is the size of the storage in the phone.

Look. Design is not a cost-free game. Every approach has its advantages and disadvantages. Since Apple controls both the iPhone's music player and its browser (as well as other proprietary functions) it can manage the functionality and performance with its o/s. It can provide multitasking to favored (i.e. Apple owned) apps and deny it to third parties. That may seem "unfair" or otherwise "undesirable," but it means that Apple can provide a relatively seamless user experience.

Google, on the other hand, has taken a different approach; one that makes sense for a platform without a huge installed base of dedicated users. They've limited the functionality integrated into the o/s and thrown open the doors for others to provide it. This has undeniable advantages in terms of flexibility. It also has undeniable disadvantages in terms of managing performance and functionality. Makes for a great geek playground and a problematic consumer device.
  19. Johnly

Johnly Guest

OK, yeah, then I guess I can, just need to hook up my linksys n router, and need to be close to it for the event. Good point:)
  20. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Computing Dictionary

multitasking definition

computer, parallel
    (Or "multi-tasking", "multiprogramming", "concurrent processing", "concurrency", "process scheduling") A technique used in an operating system for sharing a single processor between several independent jobs. The first multitasking operating systems were designed in the early 1960s.
    Under "cooperative multitasking" the running task decides when to give up the CPU and under "pre-emptive multitasking" (probably more common) a system process called the "scheduler" suspends the currently running task after it has run for a fixed period known as a "time-slice". In both cases the scheduler is responsible for selecting the next task to run and (re)starting it.
    The running task may relinquish control voluntarily even in a pre-emptive system if it is waiting for some external event. In either system a task may be suspended prematurely if a hardware interrupt occurs, especially if a higher priority task was waiting for this event and has therefore become runnable.
    The scheduling algorithm used by the scheduler determines which task will run next. Some common examples are round-robin scheduling, priority scheduling, shortest job first and guaranteed scheduling.
    Multitasking introduces overheads because the processor spends some time in choosing the next job to run and in saving and restoring tasks' state, but it reduces the worst-case time from job submission to completion compared with a simple batch system where each job must finish before the next one starts. Multitasking also means that while one task is waiting for some external event, the CPU to do useful work on other tasks.
    A multitasking operating system should provide some degree of protection of one task from another to prevent tasks from interacting in unexpected ways such as accidentally modifying the contents of each other's memory areas.
    The jobs in a multitasking system may belong to one or many users. This is distinct from parallel processing where one user runs several tasks on several processors. Time-sharing is almost synonymous but implies that there is more than one user.
    Multithreading is a kind of multitasking with low overheads and no protection of tasks from each other, all threads share the same memory.
    (1998-04-24
    source=dictionary reference.com
Search tags for this page

youtube multitasking in droid razr