Multiple ROMs. How to clean up?

droided1

Reaction score
I've gone through my fair share of roms lately. Was wondering if everytime im flashing, does that data/cache wipe clean up prior rom files, or should I go in there and see what's spwcificrto past roms and remove that way. Just curious, thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some times a wipe data/cache isn't enough to get rid of all

the files of a previous ROM. You get closer by restoring a nandroid

backup and/or running a factory reset. Best way to wipe her good

is a flash from a trusty sbf file.

Reaction score
What a lot of developers recommend is two or three wipes before you install

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
droided1

droided1

Reaction score
So basically best thing to do, restore the original backup i first made before I put a rom on in first place, then factory reset? Eh, gonna take some time. Thanks.

andylulzyou

Reaction score
The easiest way to get a purely clean phone would be to .sbf, but many people are a little scared to .sbf (especially when they don't have to) I know I was..

Thankfully a member on these forums has made a sort of SBF.zip since you're phone actually works on your willing to do it you can flash it via clockwork.. I haven't done it yet but reading the replies everything seems to be jsut peachy and it's definitely a .zip for everyone to have on their phone
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/112152-maderstcok-ota-2-3-340-update-zip.html

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Restore a stock backup and then install ROM should be enough.

OP
droided1

droided1

Reaction score
Yea, yo be honest I've been hesitant to try anything sbf related, since it seems to mean the apocalypse for some phones I've read on here. I've got a backup of original phone state I made before roms. Seems to be safest bet, although that sbf thread up top seems reliable as well.

pyroelite

Reaction score
Should only have to wipe data/cache & most roms do it, but formatting system in recovery can help too, as well as clear dalvik cache & I've only had to do it once in any of the latest roms, but after a clean install of one rom I was getting soft reboots when trying to install apks. Went into settings/privacy/factory reset, & it was all good. Only needed sbfs when I didn't wipe data & got stuck in boot loops. When changing any rom on the X, always backup, then wipe. Replacing widgets is much easier than sbf-ing (& replacing widgets) ;-) The only things you may ned to clean up are extra files & folders some roms place on the sd card.

from my DX

fichdak

Reaction score
If you do it right, sbf's aren't dangerous at all. I've flashed SBFs so many times after f'ing up my phone haha. They also work the best to "clean up". I personally don't use them for that though.

I just go to clockwork - partitions - wipe cache, wipe dalvik, wipe sd-ext, wipe system, wipe data when I feel like cleaning it out and going to a new rom. only one each... none of this 2/3/4 wipes nonsense that I hear so much about.

Cloud36426

Reaction score
I just factory wipe. Never flashed to stock then rom. I have been from rom to rom but I do factory wipe before flash. If I am wrong please tell me now. Still have a few roms to try. On gummy jar 2.5 now.