Multiple phones - Root them, unroot them

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
"Steps 1-5: Change to the /tmp folder on your phone, copy the file to the tmp directory, change its permissions. run it, and wait."

Okay so I may just be dense but seeing that I don't want to mess this up can someone explain this in detail so that I know I'm doing this right? I've done all the preceding steps but this part has me a little confused. Someone please help! Thanks!

this is only describing what the actual commands will do. if you look down farther, the steps in the blue will do this. you dont have to do anything except enter the code in line for line

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
"Steps 1-5: Change to the /tmp folder on your phone, copy the file to the tmp directory, change its permissions. run it, and wait."

Okay so I may just be dense but seeing that I don't want to mess this up can someone explain this in detail so that I know I'm doing this right? I've done all the preceding steps but this part has me a little confused. Someone please help! Thanks!
It would help if we knew WHAT part is confusing you so we can help. :)

LilMizchiv

Reaction score

when it says change to the tmp folder on my phone, is that something I do, or when I do the codes in blue that happens automatically?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Follow the instructions and you'll get the results. :) Let us know if you run in any problems while running the code. Step 1 is changing to the /tmp folder/directory.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

when it says change to the tmp folder on my phone, is that something I do, or when I do the codes in blue that happens automatically?

lol read my post - the codes will do it all :)

LilMizchiv

Reaction score
Still clueless...

Okay so after typing in everything as seen, nothing happened. How do you know you have root? Do I have to start over? I'll try once more but if it doesn't work I may cease and desist so I don't completely jack up my phone. Any tips as to what I may be doing wrong?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Okay so after typing in everything as seen, nothing happened. How do you know you have root? Do I have to start over? I'll try once more but if it doesn't work I may cease and desist so I don't completely jack up my phone. Any tips as to what I may be doing wrong?

Did you get any error messages or did nothing happen. If its the latter you can type su into the terminal emulator and press enter if a # shows up you're rooted.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My no. 1 suggestion woulbe to grab titanium backup from the marketplace and use it to "freeze" the bloat. That way its still there if you need to get an ota.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

MNk1ng

Reaction score
Permission Denied?

Running 2.2 Stock Droid X...

Open up emulator

insert cp /sdcard/download/rage*.bin /tmp/: Permission Denied

Any thoughts?

dvsgod

Reaction score
Holy WOW! That was easy. Droid X 2.2 completely updated and still rooted with this method. I love everyone smarter then me that makes these thing better for those of us less worthy. Thanks to everyone here that had a hand in it.