Multiple phones - Root them, unroot them

fecurtis

Reaction score
The only thing you need to worry about is typing out the blue text in terminal emulator.

tappin and a talkin

Holy cow that makes so much more sense.

May I suggest perhaps adding the "What are we going to do" part after the set of commands that you have to enter? Or better yet, after each command, just explain what it does. If you're reading it like I was, it looks like that they're actual vague steps, instead of explaining what the commands below it were doing.

EDIT: In going through the rest of the steps, it worked like a charm. Finally rooted again, thanks for the write up and command prompts.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
When you ran the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file you should wait until you get a message that contains the words "'xxxx' childs" where the four x's indiccate a four digit number. It's been covered and mentioned in this thread several times. By not getting a "#" prompt and entering 'su' and getting permission denied, then you are not rooted. I think you mentioned it, but make sure you have usb debugging on.

But at the end of the day, may as well give z4root a try instead as it seems to work for alot of people as well.

good luck

Im rooting using option 1, using only the phone. Do i still need usb debuging enabled?
I'm going to go with YES on this one. It's been mentioned probably half a dozen to a dozen times in this thread.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The only thing you need to worry about is typing out the blue text in terminal emulator.

tappin and a talkin

Holy cow that makes so much more sense.

May I suggest perhaps adding the "What are we going to do" part after the set of commands that you have to enter? Or better yet, after each command, just explain what it does. If you're reading it like I was, it looks like that they're actual vague steps, instead of explaining what the commands below it were doing.

EDIT: In going through the rest of the steps, it worked like a charm. Finally rooted again, thanks for the write up and command prompts.
Glad to hear it. Now go back and edit your post taking up three pages of real estate. You don't need to have the entire OP quoted. Thank you for your cooperate. :)

brianfulcher15

Reaction score
i got mine to work, hooking the usb cable up to turn usb debug mode on worked

Now to remove that bloatware garbage.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

Word of advice -- don't delete it, just rename it or use Ti Backup to freeze it as you'll need it for any OTA updates to be pushed to your phone successfully.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Now go back and edit your post taking up three pages of real estate. You don't need to have the entire OP quoted. Thank you for your cooperate. :)
+1 ^^^ this. But doubt it'll happen . . .

And @brianfulcher15 (and the others), yes USB Debugging MUST be on for this (or SuperOneRoot, or z4root) to work. They ALL use the same rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file created by Sebastian Kramer. The RATC file needs to spawn many adb 'children' (without usb debuggin 'on' adb has no effeft) until the system gives up and grants a temporary root. Which we then quickly exploit by putting the su and busybox binaries and Superuser.apk into the system folder(s) with the proper permmisions to make root permanent.

brianfulcher15

Reaction score

Word of advice -- don't delete it, just rename it or use Ti Backup to freeze it as you'll need it for any OTA updates to be pushed to your phone successfully.

so when we get the OTA updates do we have to rename the files back?

to make sure OTA means over the air updates like when verizon sends me a text telling me to dila *228 + 1 to reprogram.

also is there a complete list of what we can remove from a droid x on here with filenames? ive found several post with multiple list but not one with just a single list of them all.

I know not to remove blur, or the backup software.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Here's the list:

Everything that came on your phone.

And where does it have to be?

Right where you found it in the first place.

I hope that helps. :) Now let's get back on the topic of rooting phones. :D

ProNate

Reaction score
I tried to do step 2 A, but on part 6 (the sanity check) I have a $ as a prompt not a #. Also I noticed that part 4 (./rage*.bin) went really fast. I didn't write it down at first, but I tried 4 again and the output ended with "Cannot find adb: no such file or directory"

Not sure what to do now, should I continue or is something wrong?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
It's been mentioned a lot in the thread. You have to wait for a line about x childs -- it'll be a fairly random number in the thousands. That proves you've successfully gotten to where you can proceed.

And you HAVE to have USB Debugging turned on or it won't work. Or you could try z4root. :) Also have to have USB Debugging turned on for that, too.

ProNate

Reaction score
It's been mentioned a lot in the thread. You have to wait for a line about x childs -- it'll be a fairly random number in the thousands. That proves you've successfully gotten to where you can proceed.

And you HAVE to have USB Debugging turned on or it won't work. Or you could try z4root. :) Also have to have USB Debugging turned on for that, too.

I went into the terminal to try again, waiting longer this time, but I magically had the # and the rest of the steps went well.

I guess I didn't really need help, but thanks anyway.

F

FrostyG

Step 2: Option D

Hi i am still pretty new at this and have no clue what this option wants me to do? Am i suppose to go into the terminal and just type this in? I did it and it said access denied after each. Help would be great.