Multiple notifications w/ Handcent SMS, chomp SMS, etc.

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Incredible' started by tempo, May 26, 2010.

1. tempo

tempo New Member

This is but a minor annoyance, but when you've got multiple alternate SMS clients installed (I'm currently playing with both Handcent SMS and chomp SMS), you get multiple new message alerts in the notifications bar.

If I commit to one of these alternate clients, would I then uninstall the default SMS client? Or can it be disabled?
  2. big_poppa

big_poppa New Member

You can't delete the stock messaging app just yet... simply go into the stock app's settings and disable all notifications. Your handcent/chomp notifications will still be going strong.
  3. kmo

kmo New Member

Yea, I couldn't take the duplicates either so as much as I liked the customizable features of Handcent I just dumped it. It's just too redundant, the point is to do less key strokes not add more.
  4. Seeko

Seeko New Member

Makes sense considering you would have to go in and keep deleting all the old messages.
  5. tempo

tempo New Member

Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but don't all the alt. SMS clients effectively share the same inbox? Ergo, if you read the message in Handcent it's already marked read if you switch to the default client. Other than the initial notification (which I just turned off in the default client--duh, thanks for the suggestion), I don't think there's an overall duplication of effort. Or maybe I'm just missing something...
  6. kmo

kmo New Member

For me just don't see the point in a duplicate app, more space taken up within the phones memory and even though I unchecked everything in the stock program I still received the number icon over my "message" icon desktop that I had to manually delete. That's where the extra step is and annoying for me, I don't need redundancy in my phones functionality.
  7. ctxx24

ctxx24 New Member

same for me...sux
  8. Robo-dRoid

Robo-dRoid New Member

add message shortcut, click on it, menu button , settings, and disable recieve message alert worked for me
  9. kmo

kmo New Member

Not sure what this means? Any options I've tried I still got the number icon on my message icon too... I basically deleted everything in the stock app. Anyway, no big deal. It was nice to have the customizable handcent but I figure eventually there will be a program that will work the way I want it to. I wish the stock app had a bit more options to customize.
  10. tempo

tempo New Member

Huh, I had to install SMS Unread Count to get an unread count on my desktop icon.

But still, that counter is consistent irregardless of what SMS client if I use read the message.

If I receive 3 messages, and read the first one in the native client, the unread count decrements to 2. I read the second message using Handcent, the unread count decrements to 1. Etc.

I'm liking Handcent best so far.
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  11. tempo

tempo New Member

That's the way to stop the dual notifications. Worked for me.
Search tags for this page
chomp sms double messages

chomp sms unread count

chompsms double messages

chompsms double messaging

chompsms double notification

chompsms droid incredible
delete duplicate sms
handcent sms duplicate notifications

handcent sms multiple notifications

how to remove duplicate notifications with handcent sms is i

messaging count doubled