Multiple Networks?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by theblackabbot, Mar 20, 2013.

1. theblackabbot

theblackabbot Member

So looking at my phone, I see that it is set to Global now, but has the option for either a CDMA or GSM network. Does that mean that you could get a SIM card from Straight Talk or whatever that runs on that type network, set the phone to be that network, it would operate fine?

This is a screenshot from my phone.

View attachment 61334
  2. jp233

jp233 Member

I've found battery life to be much better when set on LTE/CDMA - obviously used here in the States in an LTE/CDMA coverage area (VZW). I have switched to Global when in rural areas, though, and seen better reception.

There is/was a lot of discussion on the XT912 and if it can work on say, the AT&T network. Mostly, I've read where it's not very possible. I may be interested in this later this year after my contract is up, as going to a comparable coverage network for cheaper would be great - and not getting a new device and new contract.
  3. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

I have a Verizon s3 and tried a T-Mobile sim card then switched phone to Gsm. Calls and the t work fine just no data.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
  4. theblackabbot

theblackabbot Member

No data? Well, that is not good. Need some data for a Droid. My contract will be up in February next year so I am very interested in trying one of the pre-paid SIM card plans.

But switching from Global to LTE/CDMA improve battery life? This would be nice.
  5. jp233

jp233 Member

Yeah, put the Mobile Network on LTE/CDMA, and set your APN to Verizon CDMA. Switch to any other APNs if you're having data/phone connectivity issues.

Global mode would be used in rural areas, or overseas or other strange areas (USVI? Puerto Rico?)
  6. Miklb58

Miklb58 New Member

In addition to setting LTE / CDMA, if you don't need 4g, or are not in a 4g area, from what I understand it is also a battery saver to switch to dedicated 3g.
  7. jp233

jp233 Member

Search tags for this page
xt912 on straight talk

xt912 straight talk