Multiple gmail accounts

bailman

Reaction score
Ok, since the update I have too many phone numbers in my phone. I access 3 gmail accounts, but only want the contacts from one in my phone. How do I delete the other contacts from the 2 accounts? I still want the email checked on all accounts. This wasn't an issue before yesterday. Thanks

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
B

bailman

Reaction score
Nevermind..I figured it out

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

zertsman

Reaction score
I added the other account, but it is not there when i try to switch accounts.

What am i doing wrong?

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

zertsman

Reaction score
In the gmail app.

Even in accounts it doesn't show up. But when i go to add it, it's already there.

With my droidx, they all showed up in accounts and i switched from inside gmail.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

zertsman

Reaction score
first, i rebooted the phone..

then i was able to add my other 2 gmail accounts and have them show up in the accounts list.

catch is.. the account that the market and such is based off has a black icon with a lowercase g in it. the other 2 have the red M icon. no biggie

when i hit the gmail icon and select switch accounts.. nothing is there. this stinks

i can add a widgit for each of th other 2 accounts that shows a preview of the last email.. but each widgit takes up as much space as 4 icons.

new phone, first day.. all else seems pretty great.

also, seems verizon is having trouble with their new backup+ software or whatever it is.. it tries to back up my contacts as well as all my email accounts.. seems right now you have to choose an email account to backup. I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS. tech support told me "they're aware fo the problem and working on it"

i'm still giving them a break.. new phone first day and all..

all else is very fast and crisp... so was my x when i first got it though.

i'm still happy

NiteCloak

Reaction score
The account that shows up with the dark 'g' icon is your primary sync account. Naturally this should be the same as your primary email account. This is because the phone now uses a Gmail account to sync and backup contacts, emails etc, and it needs to know which account will be that default. Although it uses the email account, it is NOT the actual email account that you would log in to send and receive email, that, as you have already ascertained, is the red gmail icon accounts.

The Droid 4 has two ways of viewing Gmail accounts email. The icons look slightly different, i.e. slightly different variations of the red and white Gmail envelope icon. One is the Motorola Gmail and the other is Gmail's own Gmail app (yes, confusing and a little redundant but they do run slightly differently and look slightly different, particularly in the message list).

Motorola's version has a white envelope with a red '@' symbol letter inside.
Gmail's is the traditional red 'M' symbol letter inside a white envelope.

For Motorola's app, to swap between accounts all you do is press on the envelope logo in the top left of your screen and choose which account

For Gmail's app, to swap between accounts all you do is press on the email address in the top right corner of your screen.

Good luck

NiteCloak

zertsman

Reaction score
I think i figured it out.. when you want to add another gmail account.. use the black icon with the lowercase"g". i had chosen email before and then the gmail M icon as i though the black g was the acount that drives the phone. clearly that is not the case. i'm sure this is not everything about google accounts on the phone and gmail, but i'm happy with what i have.

My gmail now functions as it did with my droidx. the gmail icon brings up my gmail and i can switch between my 3 gmail accounts by pressing menu and choosing switch accounts. i also do not need widgets taking up half my screen to see email.

finding this, i wonder why you would want to add email with the red icon... in my opinion, it's not nearly as good an email experience.

Chosen_One

Reaction score
Nothing I do allows to me access two different Gmail accounts from my Gmail App.

I can access my primary account, but when I click on the upper right tab, it shows I only have 1 account.
I click 'add account,' but it shows that its already been added.
I go to 'Accounts' and delete the additional account, go back into Gmail, and add the account. It accepts it, but its not there and not accessible.
If I go into 'Accounts' from 'Settings,' it shows up as being there, but why isn't is showing up in my Gmail app?

Chosen_One

Reaction score
I figured it out. I had to create a Gmail account for each Gmail address AND I had to create a Google Account for each address. I guess the redundant department of redundancy came up with that idea.

zertsman

Reaction score
I thing a gmail address ia a google account. Not redundant, the same thing.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

TheAzMom

Reaction score
I could kiss you!

I spent the better part of my afternoon trying to figure out how to get my Gmail accounts to work as seamlessly on my new Droid 4 as they did on my old Droid Incredible and it wasn't until I gave up and Googled it that I FINALLY found the answer!! :)

THANK YOU!

I think i figured it out.. when you want to add another gmail account.. use the black icon with the lowercase"g". i had chosen email before and then the gmail M icon as i though the black g was the acount that drives the phone. clearly that is not the case. i'm sure this is not everything about google accounts on the phone and gmail, but i'm happy with what i have.

My gmail now functions as it did with my droidx. the gmail icon brings up my gmail and i can switch between my 3 gmail accounts by pressing menu and choosing switch accounts. i also do not need widgets taking up half my screen to see email.

finding this, i wonder why you would want to add email with the red icon... in my opinion, it's not nearly as good an email experience.