Multiple freezes & reboots daily

DroidFan

Reaction score
I don't know what happened, but suddenly in the last month or so I've been having problems with my original, non-rooted Droid where the phone will suddenly be unresponsive to my touch screen & then the app will begin to jerk on the screen & then freeze, leaving me no alternative than to reboot. It doesn't matter what app I'm using & I'm rebooting several times a day. I haven't added any new apps recently either.

Any ideas or advice?? I'm tired of rebooting over & over....thanks!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Do you have a task killer on your Droid?? If so remove it. They cause more problems than they fix. Secondly did you install a new app around the time this strange behavior started? If so remove it and see if that fixes your situation. It sounds like an app has gone crazy on ya.

The last more drastic thing you could do would be a factory reset but that will wipe out all your apps that you have put on the phone and put the phone back to what it was when you first got it.

OP
DroidFan

DroidFan

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Unless there was an app update that's buggy, then it wouldn't be any new apps as I haven't downloaded any in recent months.

I haven't had task killer on my phone in over 6 months, so it's not that...

Would have to do a master reboot if I don't have to...open to more questions before doing this...

FlyByNight

Reaction score
Motorola has admitted there is a problem on the Droid X since the Froyo release. Supposedly there is a fix in the work, but I'm getting tired of this thing rebooting several times a day.

I don't have a task killer. I've uninstalled Launcher Pro and am still getting the reboots. I've seen in other forums people are getting replacement Droid X's, but sometimes it takes several replacements before it is fixed.

OP
DroidFan

DroidFan

Reaction score
I don't even have the X.... I have the original DROID. Got it day one and it was running great until the last few weeks....

FlyByNight

Reaction score
I don't even have the X.... I have the original DROID. Got it day one and it was running great until the last few weeks....

That is interesting. I just talked to Verizon and they are sending me a replacement Droid X, but after reading your post, I don't think that will solve the problem.

Theoretically, I should load the new one a little at a time to see if there are problems, but that could take forever trying to isolate the issue.

Android 2.1 was rock solid.

OP
DroidFan

DroidFan

Reaction score
Guess I'll be calling VZW too to see if they can isolate the problem... I've been deleting any installed software as the glitch happens...but it's happening on preinstalled s/w as well as market-based software... so I'm at a loss.

FlyByNight

Reaction score
Guess I'll be calling VZW too to see if they can isolate the problem... I've been deleting any installed software as the glitch happens...but it's happening on preinstalled s/w as well as market-based software... so I'm at a loss.

Mine reboots when it is just sitting on my desk. I can tell because my BT headset notifies me when it is disconnected.

soos53

Reaction score
I have a brand new DroidX, bought it last Saturday. I haven't added ANY apps, but it freezes at randon time. It will not let me reboot. I can't find a way to power it off like holding the power key for an extended period of time. The only thing that works is pulling the battery. This all started after a genius at Verizon tech support who spent 2 hours "Helping" me try to get my AOL working, then sent it to an engineer (who I have yet to hear from), when all he had to do was Google aol settings, try them, as I did, and make it work. I spoke to a 2nd one too who also had no clue. The bottom line is, I don't have much faith in their "tech support" and "engineers" We will probably ALL have to look outside VZW for an answer!!!

I would like to LOVE this thing, but my blackberry and/or IPhone are looking sooo much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new DroidX, bought it last Saturday. I haven't added ANY apps, but it freezes at randon time. It will not let me reboot. I can't find a way to power it off like holding the power key for an extended period of time. The only thing that works is pulling the battery. This all started after a genius at Verizon tech support who spent 2 hours "Helping" me try to get my AOL working, then sent it to an engineer (who I have yet to hear from), when all he had to do was Google aol settings, try them, as I did, and make it work. I spoke to a 2nd one too who also had no clue. The bottom line is, I don't have much faith in their "tech support" and "engineers" We will probably ALL have to look outside VZW for an answer!!!

I would like to LOVE this thing, but my blackberry and/or IPhone are looking sooo much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds to me like you have a bad phone. Do a factory data reset and if you still have issues, exercise your warranty.

There is no way on God's green earth that a Blackberry is better then a Droid.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Do what hook suggested. If a reset doesn't work, take it back and get a new one! :)

This came from my brain by way of my finger and my phone. Don't ask where any of them have been. Especially the brain.

soos53

Reaction score
Had enough

Well, I tried that and that phone has already jammed me up with a professor in my doctoral program. I had enough- took everything back-closed my account then went and got an I Phone from another company. I just have NO faith in customer service, the extended battery lasts 1/2 a day with no calls, texts or sending email! Ever hear of a pig in a poke?

Frymaxx

Reaction score
Frozen Moto

I have a new Droid bought 2 days ago that freezes on the Moto logo and will not let me do ANYTHING, till I pull the battery out. I am also looking for answers. Thanks for the data reset though, I will try that. Let me know if you come up with any answers
Frymaxx

FlyByNight

Reaction score
I got sick and tired of the random reboots and asked for a refurbished unit. I have been using it for five days and it has been rock solid.

OP
DroidFan

DroidFan

Reaction score
I'm calling VZW tonight... today my phone was virtually rendered useless... after each reboot, I'd go to swipe the email notification (stock) and it would automatically begin jumping around from screen to screen like it was possessed.... ugh!