Multiple email accounts, all in different windows/applications?

Sean.Magnusen

Reaction score
I know you can have multiple email accounts within the single 'Email' app, and you can have the separate 'GMail' app, but I have a number of POP/IMAP accounts that I would like to add to my phone without mixing those emails with my corporate email (which is in the 'Email' app).

I would like to be able to open each email account in its own separate instance. Any ideas if there's a way to do this with the base DROID apps? I don't mind installing a market app to be able to handle this, but I browsed through a bunch and didn't see any that seemed like they would work (or at least caught my eye).

Thanks,
Sean

John.Edwards

Reaction score
Configure the accounts, then long click on the home and add an email shortcut for each account. It works fine.

Z-Droid

Reaction score
but does a new e mail always go from the account set as primary? or will it go from the individual one you've 'shortcut' to?

edit: tested it. the e mail is sent from the acct for which you've selected the shortcut. MOST excellent! now i can keep my recipients specific to the proper account more easily. thanks!!

Last edited:
OP
S

Sean.Magnusen

Reaction score
Nifty. So if I understand correctly, adding the 'Email' app gives you a combined inbox for all of your email accounts, then to show an inbox for a specific account, simply add the shortcut to that account.

Follow-up question: I actually have 5 email addresses associated to one domain that I own. I have a couple other email addresses that I would like to keep separate, but I would like to be able to have the 5 for the same domain displayed within the same shortcut; is that possible? Once in a shortcut, if I go to Menu --> Accounts, it lists all accounts, but I don't see a way to select accounts to activate/deactivate for that shortcut and clicking on one just takes you to that account.

I know I'm getting picky...

Thanks,
Sean

John.Edwards

Reaction score
I don't think that last item is possible with the default email program. You could just set those addresses as alias' to the same account I guess on the server.

gray4464

Reaction score
How to manage multiple Google accounts

Yes I'm a newby.

I'm trying to toggle between my personal Gmail account and company Google email account with the native Gmail app. Looks like the last account I accessed remains the active account and cannot get to the other until a new email arrives.

I have looked for an app that would allow toggling but appears everything is geared toward POP3, IMAP, Exchange account management.

Have I missed something or has Google missed a much needed functionality?

JohnSFromMD

Reaction score
Still confused about multiple emails

I'm not sure why the forum is asking for a title here - hopefully I'm responding to this multiple email accounts thread. So yes, I am both a Droid newbie AND a newbie of this forum. Sorry! :)

I am surely missing something, but I don't see an easy way to switch the email application from one account to another. Like everyone on this thread, I am extremely happy that the email application does not mix my corporate and personal email, but it seems like an obvious need to be able to easily select which one to view! In Outlook, there's the option to prompt for which profile or account to use. All I see in this app is that you can change the "primary" account in the Settings. But it really seems like there should be an easy way to tell the email app to switch accounts.

It seems like John.Edwards' suggestion could be a work-around for this, except when I long-press on the home BUTTON, all I get is the list of recent apps. If I long-press on an empty part of the home screen, I can create a short-cut to the email application (after lots of drilling down through lists), but if I change the Default Email Account for one of the two shortcuts that I now have, it changes it for BOTH (even though the change does not reflect until I close the Email app and re-open it).

This is silly. There is absolutely NO point in having support for multiple accounts if there's no easy way to select which account to view. Since so much of the user interface rocks, I am sure that I'm missing something.

Thanks,
John

John.Edwards

Reaction score
Sorry for the typo - I meant to say long press on the home screen - select shotcuts and then the email account. I actually have done this for each of my two accounts in this program, and then have a combined view with the generic email application shortcut. I have never had the issue you are experiencing - the individual accounts always come up depending on the shortcut I choose.

Also, one thing to note is this is not a workaround, it is actually by design. I read this in the manual - I am going to guess from motorola's site.

Also, I found the exchange support on the default client abysmal - and bought touchdown, which has been improved significantly in recent months. (touchdown actually supports profiles like outlook).

jfsm

Reaction score
Like JohnSFromMD I have a DROID2 running v2.3.20.A955 and I can add a shortcut even 2 but they are for the same account. I long press on the home screen - select shortcuts and then the email icon. There is NO WAY that I see to select the individual email Account. If I set act1 as the primary and create a shortcut and then acct2 as primary then create a shortcut both shortcuts open the same account. If you go to Accounts it just creates a shortcut to the account setup window not the actual email account. If John.Edwards could explain how he was able to create a shortcut to the actual email account that would be helpful. This should not be this hard. My 4yr old BB did it automatically so does the iPhone. Why can't DROID? DROID DOESN'T so far. Can't believe you have download an app to chang the name of a shortcut. DROID DOES should be DROID DOES WITH Additional APPS.

JohnSFromMD

Reaction score
It looks to me like John.Edwards has in fact attempted to explain exactly how it made the shortcut. However, for my Droid X, which I think is running Android 2.2, the instructions don't work. The email accounts do not show up as options in the second page of options - you've got to go into Applications, and then find the Email application. So I suspect that J.E has a different version of the software.

One thing that I found that helps a lot is to make a shortcut to the Messaging application. Its first page lists all the accounts, so from there you can touch the account you want! It's more touches than having each account on the home screen, but it's also infinitely easier than changing the primary account around.

PS: How do you find out exactly what s/w version you are running, as jfsm has reported?? I was looking for that, and couldn't find it. I have inferred that I'm running 2.2 because some of the instructions in the "Droid X with v2.2" manual are correct where instructions in the 2.1 manual are not.

harrellj

Reaction score
It looks to me like John.Edwards has in fact attempted to explain exactly how it made the shortcut. However, for my Droid X, which I think is running Android 2.2, the instructions don't work. The email accounts do not show up as options in the second page of options - you've got to go into Applications, and then find the Email application. So I suspect that J.E has a different version of the software.

One thing that I found that helps a lot is to make a shortcut to the Messaging application. Its first page lists all the accounts, so from there you can touch the account you want! It's more touches than having each account on the home screen, but it's also infinitely easier than changing the primary account around.

PS: How do you find out exactly what s/w version you are running, as jfsm has reported?? I was looking for that, and couldn't find it. I have inferred that I'm running 2.2 because some of the instructions in the "Droid X with v2.2" manual are correct where instructions in the 2.1 manual are not.

John.Edwards' instructions were for the D1 which has no alternative "skin" on it, so I'm not surprised that the DX and the D2 (both of which are running a form of Motorola Blur) would not have the same menu options.

As for determining the specific version of your software, go to settings > about phone.

jfsm

Reaction score
shortcut to the Messaging application

I found the shortcut to the Messaging application in the HELP menu. Which is an improvement but you should still be able to have a shortcut for each email account on home screen just like the txt message shortcut that is there by default. As you add an account it should create the seperate icon for you just not in the Messaging Folder. There must be a way to do this.

dtsig

Reaction score
MENU/ Settings/About Phone on a droidx 2.2

jlag

Reaction score
I found the shortcut to the Messaging application in the HELP menu. Which is an improvement but you should still be able to have a shortcut for each email account on home screen just like the txt message shortcut that is there by default. As you add an account it should create the seperate icon for you just not in the Messaging Folder. There must be a way to do this.

Yes, I have been looking for this answer as well (Droid Pro, 2.2). The messaging shortcut is a nice workaround though, thanks.