Multiple Copies of Contacts

Slothead

Reaction score
At the suggestion of other Droid Forum members, I used the SD card to save my contacts from my Droid X and then swapped SD cards and loaded them into the DI2. But the contact list now in the DI2 has at least half a dozen of each of the contacts (and some have a couple more than that).

(1) Why did that happen, (2) how can keep it from happening the next time, and (3) is there an easy way to get rid of the excess copies?

Thanks,

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
I had a similar experience. I was flashing a new ROM on my Droid. The contacts didn't immediately download so I hit the sync button two more times. What happened? Three contacts for everyone. I would delete the contacts file from the SD card first. Go into gmail and delete all of the extra contacts then resync your contacts. You should then only have one contact name and number per person.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Max123z

Reaction score
very nasty and high effort. We should expect more from Google.

OP
Slothead

Slothead

Reaction score
very nasty and high effort. We should expect more from Google.
I agree Max, but before I castrate Google, I want to make sure that I didn't make a royal screw-up (operator error accounts for more than 50% of faults - that's not to say that Google/VerizonWL shouldn't have educated me better).

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you have THAT many copies, but you shouldn't need to copy them period as long as you use the same Google account - they sync up with that constantly and would sync to any Android phone you switch to. Unless there is something more to the equation, I think you got some unnecessary advice.

--
sent from my Inc2

evan2001

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you would need to do the card thing if you are using Google. But if you on your computer log into tour Google acct the is a option to find duplicates. Then you can delete dups and give it a minute to auto sync with your phone.

I've done this and it works

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums