Multiplayer scavenger hunt

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by jamsesh, Nov 29, 2009.

1. jamsesh

jamsesh New Member

Some friends and I were talking how cool it would be to have a multiplayer scavenger hunt app for our phones that used gps to see where things were. We started playing around with Joyity (free in the market) which is a pretty cool idea and gives you freedom to create your own game scenarios etc. There's a hunter mode where you get assigned someone to catch and someone is assigned to you. The problem is, only a couple of us have android phones, and no one seems to be around when we search in joyity (California). If anyone has been looking for something like this, check it out! Or if you have other suggestions for similar apps let me know :)
  2. Nels121

Nels121 New Member

You may want to check out SCVNGR, a gaming platform that allows anyone to develop, deploy and manage sophisticated location-based games that can be played from any phone. Scvngrs can be played from any phone via SMS, mobile we or a free iPhone/Droid app. The app certainly provides the best overall experience with access to maps based on your current location and the ability to deliver multimedia content (custom pics, vids and audio). Check out scvngr.com/xplr to learn more and look for games up and running in your area.
  3. jamsesh

jamsesh New Member

Thanks Nels! That app looks really cool. From my brief research, it looks like they require you to create the whole "scvngr." Have you seen any games that randomly generate checkpoints for you on google maps? That would be sweet
  4. ClueShredder5000

ClueShredder5000 New Member

Hey Jamsesh,

SCVNGR currently has a feature on its Builder Platform (The feature loaded upgrade to the free XPLR platform) where you can search for clues that have already been written by other users. (Search by location and proximity or by keyword) You can build a complete location-based game without physically writing each clue yourself.

*I've heard this feature is going to be available in a more-user friendly form (perhaps drag and drop?) on the XPLR platform sometime soon.

Drop them a line, they're pretty helpful.
    support@scvngr.com

-The Clue Shredder.
  5. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

This sounds a whole lot like geocaching....or whatever its called. A former coworker used to do it all the time.
  6. ClueShredder5000

ClueShredder5000 New Member

It is in some ways, except there is not actually searching for a physical object you are looking for. Most of the SCVNGR games I have played are made of clues and challenges about the physical world. Usually you have to go somewhere to pick out a specific detail and send it in to receive your next location. Though, I don't see why you couldn't put a physical object that you win at the end.

There are different styles of games available. Some games are straight up city tours while others are story based games. There are also bar crawls and events that are guided completely via mobile gaming.

-Clue Shredder
  7. jamsesh

jamsesh New Member

thanks clueshredder, that sounds awesome! I'll definitely check it out