Multimedia Mode settings and Task Killing questions

aretoodeetoo

Reaction score
Totally unrelated (and probably dumb q's) I know BUT:

I run the LauncherPro (unlocked) desktop app and after a recent update (0.7.5.1) the look and function of Multimedia Mode (and Navigation Mode) changed and I don't know why and I don't like the new look. I can not however seem to find where to go to change it back, or customize it at all for that matter. Anyone using this app fill me in?

Why is it that every time I run Task Killer there are 20 apps "running" that I never use, ever. Facebook, Voice Search are the biggest culprits but often a bunch of apps that I haven't used in days will show up 2 or three times a day when I run Task Killer. Is there a setting to make this stop (even if I have to do it app by app)?

Thanks in advance

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Those aren't features of Launcher Pro, either you got an update to Maps (changes Navigation) or updated from OS 2.1-update1 (eclair) to OS 2.2 (froyo).

As for task killers, they are absolutely the most worthless thing you can have on your android phone. Those task you see aren't "running", they are loaded into memory to work the way the OS is designed, load apps to fill memory in case the user wants to use them. Eventually they will unload as your app loading choices ask for/need ram. Killing them with a task killer will just make the OS reload them again...and again...and again....etc...

Android OS is designed to load as much into memory as it can. As your uses require memory it will unload non-running apps to free up the resources you need.

eliassami5

Reaction score
1. uninstall the task killer
2. Launcher pro has nothing to do with your multimedia mode nor your navigation mode
3. what phone are you running? Droid 1? If you recently updated google maps from the market then it changes the look.
4. what multimedia mode are you referring to?

OP
A

aretoodeetoo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

1) Didn't know that about tasks/killers. interesting. is there a way regardless to select certain apps and set them to NEVER load automatically?

2) Good to know. I noticed the change right after a LauncherPro update, so I thought one caused the other.

3) Yes, Droid 1. Google Maps v4.4.0 (#4414)...is this the update you suggest chages the look?

4) Multimedia mode...like when I put the droid in my docking station and it changes from the normal home screen to the screen with the Time/Date/Weather and buttons for Music, Galley, Alarm etc. (magnet on the back) I thought Multimedia Mode was the correct term...what's a better way to describe?

eliassami5

Reaction score
no multimedia mode is the correct term. I just thought u were talking about something else. Yes that update changed the look of the nav screen and added a "places" app. There are ways to stop apps from auto loading but you have to be rooted, but never the less you should not worry about what is running in the background. The only time you should use a task killer is if you DROID is running slowly and you dont know whats causing it, in that case you should kill all apps once and thats it.