Multimedia Desktop and Car Dock for Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by guitarchris123, Mar 15, 2011.

1. rbullard

rbullard New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where is the multimedia dock?!?!

Since there is no other logical outlet, I thought I'd come here today and vent my frustration at HTC. WHERE IS THE MULTIMEDIA DOCK?!?!?!

When I dumped my original Droid for the Thunderbolt, I thought the dock would be coming out quickly. I gave up and ordered a 3rd party after-market dock on eBay a couple of weeks ago. It said it was made for the Thunderbolt but it wouldn't even fit the phone. Not even close. Complete piece of crap. Seidio also hasn't launched one. This phone is selling GREAT and it's such an obvious need, I can't for the life of me understand why there isn't even just a simple micro-USB docking cradle I can use. It was such a big convenience to have a couple of those for my old Droid, I'm missing it big time.

2. JayTofLA

JayTofLA New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dremel the nibs?

I'm new to the Tbolt from the D1 and 'love it.
    Question for those of you that have modified the car dock by using the Dremel on the "nibs"; does the phone still go into "car dock" mode? Since there doesn't seem to be any magnet like with the D1 docks, I don't yet understand how the Tbolt knows it's in the car dock.

3. monolithic

monolithic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have not had to do anything to my car dock for my 'Bolt. It pops right in there just fine. It's not difficult at all. Tt takes a few tries to get the hang of how it's supposed to go in there, but there thereafter it's easy to do. It does require two hands obviously, but it does not need any modifications, etc.

Fit it in, press lightly on the right-hand side to click into the usb port and it's fine.

Truly.

M.

4. guitarchris123

Ratings:
    +0
    The plastic nibs have nothing to do with car dock mode. It recognizes it from the micro-USB port connection. Some people have experienced difficulty with the TB being inserted properly and all the way (you need to get the "click"), that's why some have suggested sanding them down a bit (because the fit can be a little tight, not giving you the correct snap in all the way).

5. Smithj

Smithj New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was curious also and had to take the housing apart to modify it for my dash mount. The circuit card inside that connects the charger to the connector that the TB plugs into has a resistor accross two of the traces. The TB must sense this and switch to car mode....

6. nefariousity

nefariousity New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I still can't find a car mount or multimedia dock for my Thunderbolt!

HTC why have you abandoned me!?! :sad:

7. WorldOfJohnboy

Ratings:
    +0
    Multimedia dock has not been released yet. The Car Dock is out there... I got mine at a VZW Kiosk inside a BJ's Wholesale.

Someone previously mentioned taking the car dock part that holds the phone off of the windshield/dash mount arm and using that as his "multimedia" dock. It will at least let you charge the phone in landscape mode.

8. nefariousity

nefariousity New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been to 3 different kiosks with no luck =(

But thanks for the idea about turning the car dock into a regular dock. :)

9. Demolition Man

Ratings:
    +0
    I sent off an e-mail to HTC a week ago. I was told that they have no ETA on when the Multimedia dock is coming out but it is still coming. Take it for what its worth which right now is about worth just as much as the Minnesota Timberwolves winning the NBA Finals this year is.

10. WorldOfJohnboy

Ratings:
    +0
    Online sites (Amazon for one) sell them as well. It might save you some money on gas just to order it online... you may get one quicker that way in the long run too.

11. nefariousity

nefariousity New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Amazon has some 3rd party vendors selling it for $33+. The only "official" seller I've found is HTCpedia:
    They even have a cool article that proves the car mount makes a good desktop charger:
    Side note: The car mount does not fit the extended/fat battery

12. WorldOfJohnboy

Ratings:
    +0
    The Car Dock is available at most any Verizon Wireless Store and/or Kiosk.

If you want to order it "officially" from Verizon Wireless online, here is a link: HTC ThunderBolt Window Mount w/front camera view

Search tags for this page
car desktop dock
car multimedia htc thunderbolt
dock on for thunderbolt
how would you secure a thunderbolt dock to a desk
htc thunderbolt car mode
htc thunderbolt hdmi dock
htc thunderbolt multimedia dock
htc thunerbolt turn on auto dock when put in desktop dock
thunderbolt car dock resistor

thunderbolt dock