Multimedia Desktop and Car Dock for Thunderbolt

nefariousity

Reaction score
Online sites (Amazon for one) sell them as well. It might save you some money on gas just to order it online... you may get one quicker that way in the long run too.

Amazon has some 3rd party vendors selling it for $33+. The only "official" seller I've found is HTCpedia:
They even have a cool article that proves the car mount makes a good desktop charger:
Side note: The car mount does not fit the extended/fat battery

Reaction score
Amazon has some 3rd party vendors selling it for $33+. The only "official" seller I've found is HTCpedia:
They even have a cool article that proves the car mount makes a good desktop charger:
Side note: The car mount does not fit the extended/fat battery

The Car Dock is available at most any Verizon Wireless Store and/or Kiosk.

If you want to order it "officially" from Verizon Wireless online, here is a link: HTC ThunderBolt Window Mount w/front camera view

Reaction score
The Car Dock is available at most any Verizon Wireless Store and/or Kiosk.

If you want to order it "officially" from Verizon Wireless online, here is a link: HTC ThunderBolt Window Mount w/front camera view

Thanks! I had search VZ's website and somehow missed this. They need to get their crap together.

I went to their site, clicked on Accessories, then chose the Thunderbolt and listed "All Accessories for your phone" and it was right there.

rbullard

Reaction score
Frustrated

Just wanted to vent and say how disappointed I am with with HTC. After 3 months with this phone, and after they officially announced this accessory, which I consider critical and was part of my purchase decision, it has not been released. Given that there's not a whisper about it from HTC or anyone else, I'm assuming for some reason they've chosen to not release the dock at all.

I ordered a 3rd party dock made in China off of eBay, and it was a complete piece of crap and the phone wouldn't even fit in it. After a lot of arguing with the seller I returned it and got a refund.

I had two docks for my original Droid (nightstand and office desk), and they were a big part of what I liked about the phone and made it convenient for me in daily use. The lesson I take away from this is that HTC is flaky/unreliable when it comes to accessories. That's a shame, because otherwise I love the phone.

stuigi

Reaction score
I'm new to the Tbolt from the D1 and 'love it.
Question for those of you that have modified the car dock by using the Dremel on the "nibs"; does the phone still go into "car dock" mode? Since there doesn't seem to be any magnet like with the D1 docks, I don't yet understand how the Tbolt knows it's in the car dock.

I have not had to do anything to my car dock for my 'Bolt. It pops right in there just fine. It's not difficult at all. Tt takes a few tries to get the hang of how it's supposed to go in there, but there thereafter it's easy to do. It does require two hands obviously, but it does not need any modifications, etc.

Fit it in, press lightly on the right-hand side to click into the usb port and it's fine.

Truly.

M.

Thats the reason, I dremeled mine down. My dock is in the middle of my dash and it was a pain in the butt to use 2 hands and wrestle with it. It now just slides right down with one hand and removes just as easily. It is a pleasure to use. It goes into carmode also as the trigger I was told has to do with electrical resistance placed across the terminals of the usb plug

nefariousity

Reaction score
I had two docks for my original Droid (nightstand and office desk), and they were a big part of what I liked about the phone and made it convenient for me in daily use. The lesson I take away from this is that HTC is flaky/unreliable when it comes to accessories. That's a shame, because otherwise I love the phone.

I'm in the exact same situation and I completely agree -_-

slinky

Reaction score

I'm in the exact same situation and I completely agree -_-
HTC is a manufacturer and they also obtain demands from the carriers who sell the inventory - remember that HTC doesn't sell it.

Reaction score
Just wanted to vent and say how disappointed I am with with HTC. After 3 months with this phone, and after they officially announced this accessory, which I consider critical and was part of my purchase decision, it has not been released. Given that there's not a whisper about it from HTC or anyone else, I'm assuming for some reason they've chosen to not release the dock at all.

Can you show me where Verizon or HTC ever officially released an article where the dock was to be released for the Tbolt? (Just curious to see this news for myself...) Also, you shouldn't assume anything. Having rooted my TBolt and at one point having Gingerbread on the phone, there is a nice Dock feature on Gingerbread that I would have to believe the multimedia dock will go into. Since they haven't released Gingerbread OTA for the TBolt, it would then make sense that they don't want/can't release the Home Dock for the phone yet.

I ordered a 3rd party dock made in China off of eBay, and it was a complete piece of crap and the phone wouldn't even fit in it. After a lot of arguing with the seller I returned it and got a refund.

You are lucky, most eBay sellers aren't as kind as to refund.

First, you need to understand that HTC nor Verizon manufacture the Docks for the Thunderbolt. I purchased the Car Dock (which I love, BTW) for my TBolt and had an issue with it, so I called VZW support, they told me to call HTC. Called HTC, they gave me the number for some 3rd party company that makes most of the accessories. What you should take away from it is that HTC doesn't have any interest in making or supporting accessories, other than to allow a different company to handle it. Personally speaking, I think it's great as HTC can concentrate on making the phone better than other manufacturers (which it is, Motorola Androids are HORRIBLE, of course IMHO).

I am not quite sure what you want the home dock for... if it is the fact that it charges a battery, puts the phone into a Dock mode, allows you to watch video, supposedly has HDMI out or what. For me, I was most interested in charging a battery outside of tethering the phone, so I went onto eBay and purchased a Battery wall charger and then a spare OEM battery from VZW. Others have said that they have taken the car dock base off of the suction cup mounting arm and popped the kickstand out and used it as a "home" dock that way so they can charge the phone in landscape mode.

I don't want to deny you in venting, nor am I trying to make your points seem not valid, but I am merely just trying to get you to see the light at the end of the tunnel and/or alternatives to your issues. I hope I didn't come across as a know-it-all d*ck, I assure you I don't mean to.

nefariousity

Reaction score
I don't want to deny you in venting, nor am I trying to make your points seem not valid, but I am merely just trying to get you to see the light at the end of the tunnel and/or alternatives to your issues. I hope I didn't come across as a know-it-all d*ck, I assure you I don't mean to.

I contacted HTC and got the same run-around =/ I know they might not directly make the accessories, but don't you think they have some shared interest in making sure their product does well?

And whoever is actually making the thunderbolt accessories needs to hurry the hell up, these charging docks hacks should not have to be done.

PS. WorldOfJohnboy: much love :)

slinky

Reaction score
First, you need to understand that HTC nor Verizon manufacture the Docks for the Thunderbolt. I purchased the Car Dock (which I love, BTW) for my TBolt and had an issue with it, so I called VZW support, they told me to call HTC. Called HTC, they gave me the number for some 3rd party company that makes most of the accessories. What you should take away from it is that HTC doesn't have any interest in making or supporting accessories, other than to allow a different company to handle it. Personally speaking, I think it's great as HTC can concentrate on making the phone better than other manufacturers (which it is, Motorola Androids are HORRIBLE, of course IMHO).
If Verizon Wireless is selling it as their own branded accessory, as well as HTC, and VZW is taking my money, they are surely responsible to support the function of the accessory. The buyer does not have any relationship with the third party no-name manufacturer. Technically I'm sure that Verizon Wireless doesn't manufacture the phone and HTC subcontracts work out all over China. Good luck chasing everyone down...

What is disappointing is that the phone was made in such a fashion where you need a dock in order to charge the phone while it is standing in the landscape position. The dock wasn't released and the amount of money demanded was absurd. I think it speaks volumes as to how long it has taken for Verizon just to make its own MyVerizon droid app available to its own customers. I can imagine that if this was the iPhone, Apple would have ripped VZW several new ones...

Reaction score
If Verizon Wireless is selling it as their own branded accessory, as well as HTC, and VZW is taking my money, they are surely responsible to support the function of the accessory.

That's just not true... just because I can put a set of Rims and Tires on my car that are made by a 3rd party company doesn't mean that if I have a problem with the wheels that I would call the dealership and expect them to be obligated to support my issues.

The buyer does not have any relationship with the third party no-name manufacturer. Technically I'm sure that Verizon Wireless doesn't manufacture the phone and HTC subcontracts work out all over China. Good luck chasing everyone down...

I should say that when I called HTC for support on the Car Dock, they actually transferred me to the company that made the Dock and gave me the phone number. So there is clearly a relationship between the two companies, but I feel that HTC is clearly focusing their support on their devices rather than having to support a million accessories.

What is disappointing is that the phone was made in such a fashion where you need a dock in order to charge the phone while it is standing in the landscape position. The dock wasn't released and the amount of money demanded was absurd. I think it speaks volumes as to how long it has taken for Verizon just to make its own MyVerizon droid app available to its own customers. I can imagine that if this was the iPhone, Apple would have ripped VZW several new ones...

I had a pre-production model of the Thunderbolt and my thread on these message boards actually outlined the fact that the lack of a dock and my desire to charge it in landscape mode was made clear... I believe I even questioned HTC's design team for the placement. It is clear to me that they had intended to have a dock for the phone at release, but it just hasn't happened yet. My suggestion to you is to do what others have done: Take the car dock off the mounting arm and flip the kickstand out on the phone, then charge away in landscape all you want... or wait until the home dock is released. Yes, it is frustrating, but I'd rather wait for them to release it without bugs and fully featured rather than have a half-as_ed accessory that isn't fully featured or functioning.