Much faster than advertised LTE speeds?

gtofan350

Reaction score
I ran speedtest.net from my macpro and I get 11 down and 8 up with @ 3 bars of LTE (I don't like calling it 4G cuz its truly not 4G)

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I ran speedtest.net from my macpro and I get 11 down and 8 up with @ 3 bars of LTE (I don't like calling it 4G cuz its truly not 4G)
It is truly 4G. It's the fourth generation that made a major step in wireless technology. We had this discussion over in the new section.

gtofan350

Reaction score
International Standards current LTE technology doesn't qualify as true 4G. True 4G can maintain speeds at 100mb/s and as we all know Verizon LTE is maybe peaking at 35-40mb/s. Internationally it isn't 4G.

82DMC12

Reaction score
Earlier today I ran speed test and got 42.03 down and 9.67 up!!! If I knew how to do a screen shot I'd prove it. No joke though,

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 using Tapatalk

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Put it this way: 14.4Mbps would be a slow speedtest result on my Bionic on LTE. My upload is never anything spectacular, generally around 4Mbps - but my downloads usually exceed 20.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The first couple of weeks I was getting 25-30 but lately I have been getting 10-17. Never lower than 10 but I am curious why the drop? Don't get me wrong it still downloads songs in about 2 seconds so it is still super fast but I like the bigger numbers.

Probably more folks in your area are moving to LTE devices and putting more load on the network. Also, some Speedtest servers are faster than others, if that is what you are testing with.

Amagine

Reaction score

i don't think we'll see a drop off at all. Verizon is very well prepared and are putting up new towers as we speak besides we already have 4 LTE phones available with probably only 2 more coming this year....We're Good !!!

I agree. VZW is pretty much running a fiber infrastructure to all off their towers as opposed to microwave or copper back haul. Verizon doesn't seem to want to fall into the same pit that ATT did. ATT could buy all the spectrum it wants but they are couple years behind on converting their towers from copper to fiber.

bplewis24

Reaction score
btw this rant is sparked by apple saying 14.4 Mbps is as fast as real world 4g speeds

What they don't tell you is that latency is greatly reduced on LTE as compared to HSPA+, and that the LTE node can handle much more capacity without speed degradation.

14.4 theoretical Mbps is nice until the latency kills the download speed and the node is at full capacity.

Brandon

billyk

Reaction score
My 4G in the Baltimore/Washington area kills. Download ranges from 15-30mps. Up is 4-8mps. Both change all the time.

For me, moving to VZW's 4G is similar to the change from dial-up to broadband, in that I find I use my phone for more things since access is so fast. Not to mention that 4G works inside buildings like 3G never could.

VZW's 4G has totally exceeded my expectations.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
What they don't tell you is that latency is greatly reduced on LTE as compared to HSPA+, and that the LTE node can handle much more capacity without speed degradation.

14.4 theoretical Mbps is nice until the latency kills the download speed and the node is at full capacity.

Brandon
Isn't that the problem AT&T had when the iPhone was released and their network couldn't handle all the iPhone users?

My 4G in the Baltimore/Washington area kills. Download ranges from 15-30mps. Up is 4-8mps. Both change all the time.

For me, moving to VZW's 4G is similar to the change from dial-up to broadband, in that I find I use my phone for more things since access is so fast. Not to mention that 4G works inside buildings like 3G never could.

VZW's 4G has totally exceeded my expectations.
Definitely true though for me, the farther I away I get from DC the faster my speeds. In DC I get around 10mbps down and 3 up but in the Metro area, I get around 25 down and 6 up.

tbell6

Reaction score
The first couple of weeks I was getting 25-30 but lately I have been getting 10-17. Never lower than 10 but I am curious why the drop? Don't get me wrong it still downloads songs in about 2 seconds so it is still super fast but I like the bigger numbers.

My best down load speeds are at home up to 24M, WIFI to roadrunner connection. Upload seems to be limited to c. 1M.

My 4G seems to be c. 8M down
And 5M up. I am on the edge of 4G.coverage.

WIFI where I get coffee in morning c.
4M down and 1M up. (Mostly i-net browsing and google queries.)

Bottom line for me is unless I am up loading something large, I leave WIFI turned on. My Bionic doesn't choose connection (at last when 4G is available.) I can choose 4G if WIFI available is not responsive enough.

All that bring said, I upgraded from a rooted D1 to the Bionic and am happy with routed/th3ory rom'd Bionic.

Very glad I waited Bionic. Yesterday I got 16 hours. Started with 100% and Bionic did a controlled shut down after reaching 1%.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:

bplewis24

Reaction score

Here is a new article by Anandtech differentiating HSPA+ from LTE. It is very technical and not really intended to be an easy read, but here is the pertinent part: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4943/the-iphone-4s-hspa-when-hspa-is-real-4g

That's saying nothing about network latency, however, where LTE will continue to outshine HSPA+. In that case, it does arguably make sense to associate DC-HSPA+ with real LTE and call it real 4G, but until DC-HSPA+ or at least HSPA+ with MIMO it is almost without doubt still 3G*. Obviously USA carriers' attempts to pass off HSPA+ 14.4 or even 21.1 as "4G" is immediately laughable marketing, but DC-HSPA+ is arguably real 4G.

*It should be noted that AT&T and the new iPhone4S is NOT DC-HSPA+, it's the regular HSPA+ (oversimplification).

Brandon

ka1z0ku

Reaction score
I typically see 20 - 25 down and 8 - 10 up. Obviously much better than AT&T's faux-g HSPA+. I wish they weren't allowed to advertise that they have 4g anything.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums