MSG App issue

akiles

Reaction score
Please take a look at the attached picture. See the compose button?
I had the same issue in prev versions or rubix, although it went away in 1.9.5 and the prev one to that (sorry, I can't remember the specific version numbers). The issue reappeared again in 1.9.7.
Everything works fine. Pressing the compose button will bring up a new blank msg.

Sepht explained to me what could be causing the issue: mms.apk from a different source. After a few emails and a lot of patience from Sepht, I tried the mms.apk from 1.9.5, but I could not install it. I know there is an issue with the notification lights in mms.apk from 1.9.5 but didn't care much about it as I just wanted to see if the old apk would have the correct compose icon/picture.

Here is what I did:
  • forced stop mms.apk
  • mounted /system/app/ as rw via root explorer
  • renamed existing mms.apk from 1.9.7 to mms.bak
  • moved mms.apk from 1.9.5 to app folder.
  • When I clicked on mms.apk it prompt me to install it, set permissions, etc, but the installation failed.
I've since given up.

I thought about using the bootstrapper and "install zip from sd" but I don't know how to pack zip files for android (I don't know how to set the destination path to /system/app).

Not really an issue -just reporting it.

Thanks for your time.

mcp770

Reaction score
Not to discount your efforts and observations but have you tried using handcent sms app? It has 100x the functionality of the stock sms system including pop up text notifications and text backup. Installed on my first day having the phone and never used the stock app since.

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
its an error with an id pointing to the wrong image. going to take a look at it when i get a chance :)

OP
A

akiles

Reaction score
No, I have not. My view is that if the phone already has built-in functionality for a particular task, I should use that instead of adding software that **may** use more battery, memory, processing time, etc. Hence the reason to use RubiX focused to eliminate as much blur as I can.

I've seen their site and you're right it does 100x more than the stock app, but that's 100x more than what I need. I barely txt... I barely use my phone at all... I'm such a waste of $$ and android goodness -lol Maybe I should get an iphone?

And the app does work, it just has the wrong icon.

Thank you!

Not to discount your efforts and observations but have you tried using handcent sms app? It has 100x the functionality of the stock sms system including pop up text notifications and text backup. Installed on my first day having the phone and never used the stock app since.

mcp770

Reaction score
Nah, making the phone do as little or as much as one needs is exactly why you chose android correctly. I recommend the iphone to those that have no desire to tinker and rom or folks like my wife that like easy no hassle layout. Back to your deal though, still say try handcent.

OP
A

akiles

Reaction score
I stand corrected -you're right.
I was kidding about the iphone for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. What a coincidence: my wife has an android (LG Ally) and poor woman can't handle the power of versatility. She's considering the iPhone.

I may test handcent on my daughter's phone. She texts more than she speaks :) If handcent can handle the volume, then definitely droid DOES :)

Nah, making the phone do as little or as much as one needs is exactly why you chose android correctly. I recommend the iphone to those that have no desire to tinker and rom or folks like my wife that like easy no hassle layout. Back to your deal though, still say try handcent.

mcp770

Reaction score
My wife was complaining about her short battery life and sometimes laggy home screens. I thought I would beef up her incredible so I rooted it (10x the process of an x) and installed skyraider sense then added a custom kernel that overclocked and undervolted the phone. She was getting twice the battery life and performance. After two days she made me revert to stock because she couldn't stand the htc flip clock would actually animate the tiles falling each minute....unbelievable. Now she is back to blissful crappy stock rom and battery life. Drives me nuts having to stay away from her phone now. I wish she would get an iphone for that reason.

Your daughter will love handcent. Texts popping up so you can reply without even having to unlock the phone if you so desire m makes it well worth it to the full time text fanatic like myself.

Last edited:

tpike

Reaction score
its an error with an id pointing to the wrong image. going to take a look at it when i get a chance :)

have you had time to look at this issue? do you know where in the xml the file is being referenced?