MR2 Update

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by Filosophic1, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Filosophic1

Filosophic1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I downloaded and flashed the leaked MR2 update for my Thunderbolt yesterday evening. I knew that it would wipe my phone, but with everything backed up, I wasn't too worried about that. Here are my results so far:

GPS still has trouble locating me indoors, but when it does it is spot on. Outdoors, GPS locks on now in a split second, and so far has not lost a signal outside like mine used to do.

My phone used to reboot at least 10 times a day, including at night when I would have it on the charger while I slept. When I woke up this morning, I could tell that it had not rebooted at all. (The way I can tell is I have multiple home startups, and after a reboot, I have to select which Home page I want to use) So far today, there have been no reboots. Usually by this time of morning, I would have had at least a couple of reboots by now. So far so good on that front.

3G signal does seem to be a bit stronger inside my office today. I have been using the mobile hotspot, and have not noticed my hotspot cycling on and off like it used to. Will keep an eye on this as the day goes on.

I did not have any problems reloading all of my apps, and Marketplace updated itself to the current version after a few minutes of having installed the new update. I was on WiFi, so not sure if that helped get the correct version of Marketplace back up and running.

All in all, other than having all of my data wiped from my phone, which as stated before wasn't that big of a deal, the update seems to have taken care of the rebooting issues I was having, and has definitely made my GPS easier to use. If I encounter any issues during the day, I will update this post.

2. Pumaro

Pumaro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If your phone was rebooting 10x a day you should exchange it. It should not be rebooting at all unless it is an app issue.

3. bailman

bailman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are tons of people plagued with this same reboot issue, me included. It is not an app issue!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

4. Filosophic1

Filosophic1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After the first OTA for the Thunderbolt, rebooting was a known issue. Some people got lucky and weren't having any problems with the rebooting issue while others were not so lucky. I was one of the not so lucky ones. I don't believe it was an app issue, because after the original OTA, I wiped my phone, and ran it with no apps installed, and was still getting the reboots. So no, it was not an app issue causing problems with my phone after the original OTA.

5. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +289
    The rebooting issue is a known problem that HTC is trying to fix. Taking it back for a new/certified like new TB isn't necessarily going to resolve the issue. Thankfully I never had to deal with the rebooting issue with my TB. It was one of the first ones that came out.

To the O.P. - I also just installed the new MR2 update and running the dasBAMF Preview 5. It works great so far. I'm a little concerned about battery life still though. I was working on a lot of things this morning and also syncing, so that could have contributed to it.

My question is what kernals can we run to OC a bit.

6. Filosophic1

Filosophic1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly...like I had said, some people got lucky with the OTA...I and many many others did not.

7. Technoman

Technoman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does the MR2 update format your SD card? If I lose App's and such I can get that, but I want to know if I need to back up my SD card first or not.

8. ocbooger

ocbooger New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, it wipes the phone. Your SD card will remain intact.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

9. Filosophic1

Filosophic1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a reboot a few minutes ago. First since updating to the new MR2 update yesterday evening. Let's hope it was just a glitch, and not a sign of things to come.

10. Filosophic1

Filosophic1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention, I was using the mobile hotspot with my laptop, and just doing some web browsing when the reboot happened. Phone was plugged into my charger at the time as well.

11. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,293
    Hmm I wonder if its the hotspot app. Cuz when I use it I get random reboots as well.

sent from droidforums app

12. RVC

RVC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I flash the MR2 on a rooted phone? I read somewhere that it would brick your phone if you flash this on a rooted device.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Search tags for this page

mr2 update for droid