MP4 video issue

Javaknight

Reaction score
I could be wrong but from what I've read the Thunderbolt supports playback of MPEG4 video. I copied a movie over to the phone but the file icon shows up with a warning on it and the video won't play.

anyone get this to work?

lortay78

Reaction score
I could be wrong but from what I've read the Thunderbolt supports playback of MPEG4 video. I copied a movie over to the phone but the file icon shows up with a warning on it and the video won't play.

anyone get this to work?
Same issue. I put a third party app on that would play the mp4, but it wasnt as good as stock droid X. This is really disappointing. I think it has something to do with the media sync. I also noticed when I first transferred movies I had playing perfectly on DroidX, it took a really long time to copy to sd card, and the file size shrunk significantly. I haven't had much time to play around with it, but I am wondering if the sync actually reformats the videos for you. That would be cool. Avi sync to phone turns into mp4?

Reaction score
I put some movies on to day that were mp4 with no problems. When you click on properties what does it say? Might be the wrong codec

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

lortay78

Reaction score
I took mine off. I have them in a backup drive, and properties on windows says 128kbps Is that codec? I made those with dvdcatalyst free for droid x. I used to use handbrake, but it started getting the sync off in the last update. What do you use to convert avi? and what settings?

Reaction score
hmm

I took mine off. I have them in a backup drive, and properties on windows says 128kbps Is that codec? I made those with dvdcatalyst free for droid x. I used to use handbrake, but it started getting the sync off in the last update. What do you use to convert avi? and what settings?

129kbps is the data rate. A codec would be something like h264 or whatever compression was used to change it from the orginally file. I usually just download torrents that are mp4, or you can covert files to .3pg files which is what all the movies you would record with your thunderbolt would be. I use compressor which is a apple based product but avs video converter or mpegstreamclip are great for converting files. I'll put some more mp4 files on my thunderbolt and see if I have the same issue. In cases like this it is usually something dumb..

OP
J

Javaknight

Reaction score
the video file that doesn't work for me was converted using Handbrake with the H264 codec. the video was converted at 720x480 - do you think that may be the issue?

lortay78

Reaction score
I look forward to hearing on this. I haven't had any time to test other files. I really liked DVDcatalyst. It was free and simple. But I can use handbrake too. Lets let each other know what the perfect settings should be if we find them. I can't find that many movies on .mp4 or I would torrent them. I usually get avi and convert.

Natejka7273

Reaction score
Download Vitalplayer Neon from the market. It's free, plays pretty much all codecs (MKV, FLV, RMBV, MP4, AVI, XVid, WMV, etc), doesn't crash much, and can even attempt 1080p video playback although it's usually stuttery. It uses the same software decoding VLC uses.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have yet to see any Android device playback the mp4's our flipcam takes... annoying.

Kack

Reaction score
anyone know how to convert wma digital copied movies using handbrake the files it looks for only gives me an option for mp4 movies. ????? i just want to put some movies for the kid on it so that the kid can watch them in the car. mainly movies that i have bought that come with a digital copy i.e dispicable me the incredibles .... any help appreciated

lortay78

Reaction score
Download Vitalplayer Neon from the market. It's free, plays pretty much all codecs (MKV, FLV, RMBV, MP4, AVI, XVid, WMV, etc), doesn't crash much, and can even attempt 1080p video playback although it's usually stuttery. It uses the same software decoding VLC uses.

Weird, I get failed installs of this app every time. Don't know why.

lortay78

Reaction score
I got the failed installs from a problem with the rom I was running. Vital player is really nice. I will definitely try the handbrake settings out though.

personalt

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. I use sagetv and I can convert videos to a bunch of formats. I started with PSP format which is really a
Quicktime mpeg4/767Kbps 16:9 320x208@30fps AAC/82kbpbs@24khz stereo file. It says it cant play and would I like to donwload. I do download and from the video player it works fine.

I have a second conversion -
MPEG4 H.264 MKV 480p@30fps, dolby digital 384kbps@48khz stereo.
This file when I click on it appears to try and play inside the browser but fails. I try to long press and download but it fails with a message that the content is not supported.

If there any list of supported formats anywhere?

Reaction score
mp4

Some files work, and some don't. I've used rip bot a program I use to convert blu ray movies to mp4's and that seems to work great. I also used avs video converter and converted them to mp4 files and those play fine.