MP3 player problem

NatWu

Reaction score
Stock Droid running 2.2

When I open either the stock MP3 player or TuneWiki, the program becomes very slow. This is especially noticeable when I try to scroll up or down. It'll stop and I'll be given the option wait or force close. If I wait it will continue to work after a pause. This will happen several times as I try to scroll up or down. After I let it catch up, if I actually go into an album and play it, there will be no problems with playback. This makes navigating through my music collection very tedious.

The circumstances are that I both recently updated to 2.2 and added about 12 gigs of music. I didn't ever have that many mp3s on there before, so I'm not sure if this is an existing problem that was masked by the fact that I never had enough music to cause it to manifest, or if this is something brought on by 2.2. Any help would be appreciated.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There's a CHANCE that such a large amount of music on your sd card might be causing the problem. Takes a little while to load THAT much info...Can't confirm that at all, but assuming you're using the 16g card that came with the phone, that's a large portion of the sd card that the phone has to read every time you open the music player, and it also makes sense to me that it doesn't quite finish loading the ENTIRE list all at once, which would explain the additional lag when you scroll...

rcjames

Reaction score
There's a CHANCE that such a large amount of music on your sd card might be causing the problem. Takes a little while to load THAT much info...Can't confirm that at all, but assuming you're using the 16g card that came with the phone, that's a large portion of the sd card that the phone has to read every time you open the music player, and it also makes sense to me that it doesn't quite finish loading the ENTIRE list all at once, which would explain the additional lag when you scroll...

You're right just like a pc, when we're filling up our harddrive little by little, it just get slower and slower. That 16gb we get with the phone is a slow memory.

OP
NatWu

NatWu

Reaction score

I would not have thought that it would have to rebuild the file structure every time it initializes, because that would seem like a lot of unnecessary work. Also, last night I was editing the info tags of the MP3s on the phone, but I noticed that after I updated them (using a PC connected via USB), the music player did not immediately recognize changes to the files, suggesting it does use some kind of indexing with periodic scans for changes. Anyway, after I edited those tags, I did notice some improvement in performance. The tags weren't completely uniform so some albums ended up under different artists and some of my music is Japanese so I had to manually change those to English titles. It seemed like correcting all the little errors in tags actually did significantly improve performance because after that the program did not hang as much. It never gave me the option to force close, for example. I find this to be strange, but perhaps someone else has had a similar experience. Anyway, thanks for your answer.