mp3 Player apps?

bishoy

Reaction score
I have recently uploaded my music onto my phone and bought a new pair of headphones (beats by dre studio's- amazing if you have the money for them) Now i like the default "music" app, but it does not offer any options to adjust the EQ settings. What would be your recommendations? any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

kmarmet

Reaction score
i sooooooo want those headphones. i have listened to them before but dont have them. Meridian is the best for music. has a tag editor, great widget, good playlist function, very option rich. but ui is ugly. for looks only: nemo player, and zimly, and btunes.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
B

bishoy

Reaction score
Thanks, so much. As nice as it is to have a good UI, functionality is more important when it comes to apps like this. Thanks for your input, I'm going to check them all out and see which one I like the best but it looks like its gunna be Meridian.

and about those headphones, they are great. They MSRP at $299, but i bought them on Amazon.com for $195. They guy said that they are "new in open box", However, when i got them i was pleasantly surprised to see that they were brand new in an unopened, factory sealed box. Maybe i just got lucky but if you would like to check it out, search them on amazon.com...... the buyer that i got them from is "Expo electronics" in the used section. but like i said, i got them brand new.

OP
B

bishoy

Reaction score
alright so, i checked them all out and here is what i thought of them.

Meridian- as you all know, UI isnt the best, but i like how it has playlists and tag support. Widget has 5 buttons: shuffle, previous/rew, play, next/ff, and repeat.

Zimly- Best user interface ever in my opinion. also supports playlists, and one thing that really stuck out was the fact that it has a "quit" option, which I really love. Widget has play/pause, next/ff, and previous/rew. the widget also shows the song and artist that is playing. clicking on the son/artist opens the full app.

Btunes- didnt try it. not free, and from reading the reviews, its buggy and skips.

Double Twist- Another great UI. not as good as Zimly, but it is still easy on the eyes. I have a mac so I use iTunes and the double twist desktop client is great. it allows for synchronizing your iTunes playlists or creating new ones. the downside to it is that it does not have a widget and it looks like using the desktop client is a requirement. (using the desktop client requires registration on their website, which is free.)

None of the apps have an option to adjust EQ levels. I will be using Meridian, doubleTwist, and Zimly for the next week or so, after which I will come back and edit this post with my findings (performance, any FQ's, sound quality, etc.)

if there are any other apps anyone wants to suggest for me to try, please do so. I am trying to find the best music player app out there and hopefully anyone who is also looking for the same thing in the future could benefit from reading this post.

Thank You :happy:

kmarmet

Reaction score
like i said there are others out there but for features...you cant beat meridian..but have you tried nemo? and those headphones are still to much lol. im too cheap aha

OP
B

bishoy

Reaction score
Havent tried nemo yet, i cant get it in the market so im going to have to wait til i get back to my house. im away for the weekend

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Meridian- as you all know, UI isnt the best, but i like how it has playlists and tag support. Widget has 5 buttons: shuffle, previous/rew, play, next/ff, and repeat.

Zimly- Best user interface ever in my opinion. also supports playlists, and one thing that really stuck out was the fact that it has a "quit" option, which I really love. Widget has play/pause, next/ff, and previous/rew. the widget also shows the song and artist that is playing. clicking on the son/artist opens the full app.

Btunes- didnt try it. not free, and from reading the reviews, its buggy and skips.

Double Twist- Another great UI. not as good as Zimly, but it is still easy on the eyes. I have a mac so I use iTunes and the double twist desktop client is great. it allows for synchronizing your iTunes playlists or creating new ones. the downside to it is that it does not have a widget and it looks like using the desktop client is a requirement. (using the desktop client requires registration on their website, which is free.)

None of the apps have an option to adjust EQ levels. I will be using Meridian, doubleTwist, and Zimly for the next week or so, after which I will come back and edit this post with my findings (performance, any FQ's, sound quality, etc.)

if there are any other apps anyone wants to suggest for me to try, please do so. I am trying to find the best music player app out there and hopefully anyone who is also looking for the same thing in the future could benefit from reading this post.

Thank You :happy:

Excellent review and good way to provide feedback to others. Thanks for taking the time to do this write up. Looking forward to the follow-up down the road. I have not tried nor heard of Zimly, thanks for the head's up. I've heard good things about doubleTwist too.

If you go and compare various apps I'd suggest doing a "abc/xyz App Review" thread in the Apps section as they aren't just for the droid and you'd reach more people. If you'd like we can move this thread there too, just send a mod a pm.

kmarmet

Reaction score

Meridian- as you all know, UI isnt the best, but i like how it has playlists a

. I've heard good things about double twist too
if double twist had playlist options and tag editor I would use it in a heartbeat. he ui is absolutely beautiful. I wish every app looked that gorgeous!

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best thing you can do for sound quality is get yourself a headphone amp. Even a cheap one will make a huge difference in headphones like that (really require more power than the droid puts out). PM me if interested out visit head-fi.org ;)

Elric

Reaction score
Anyone use Mixzing? I'd heard it was one of the more popular ones. I'm currently using Meridian and it's okay.