Moving to Europe with Droid 3 from Verizon

JHalcyon

Reaction score
I've been looking around these forums and found a lot of related questions, but not quite the information I'm looking for. I have a Droid 3 from Verizon, and am moving to France. I spoke to a Verizon representative and got the SIM unlock code so that I can buy a SIM card from a French mobile provider (instead of paying Verizon's international rates). After getting the SIM unlock code, I was told that I'm only eligible to have the SIM unlock code so long as I have an active contract. The representative was not clear, but made it sound as though the SIM unlock code will not work if I cancel my contract or transfer it to another person.

My question is this: now that I have the SIM unlock code from Verizon, can I just cancel my Verizon contract (dealing with all applicable fees, or by transferring to another person), unlock my Droid 3, and happily use it on a French mobile provider? Or will cancelling my contract allow Verizon to do something that re-locks my phone?

If the SIM unlock code provided by Verizon does not work after cancelling my contract, is there something I can do to be able to use my Droid 3 while in France?

Thanks!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've been looking around these forums and found a lot of related questions, but not quite the information I'm looking for. I have a Droid 3 from Verizon, and am moving to France. I spoke to a Verizon representative and got the SIM unlock code so that I can buy a SIM card from a French mobile provider (instead of paying Verizon's international rates). After getting the SIM unlock code, I was told that I'm only eligible to have the SIM unlock code so long as I have an active contract. The representative was not clear, but made it sound as though the SIM unlock code will not work if I cancel my contract or transfer it to another person.

My question is this: now that I have the SIM unlock code from Verizon, can I just cancel my Verizon contract (dealing with all applicable fees, or by transferring to another person), unlock my Droid 3, and happily use it on a French mobile provider? Or will cancelling my contract allow Verizon to do something that re-locks my phone?

If the SIM unlock code provided by Verizon does not work after cancelling my contract, is there something I can do to be able to use my Droid 3 while in France?

Thanks!

Once the SIM slot is unlocked, it's unlocked permanently. Verizon has no way of locking it back if you cancel your contract.