Moving from Rezound

PatG

Reaction score
I had my HTC Rezound for about a year now. Great phone, mostly, except for battery life. In the last year I have dropped it a couple of times, cracking the screen. I have had it replaced but now I have some other problems with it.

I do have an upgrade available and am looking at the S3. I am mostly concerned about battery life and radio reception. So if there are any Rezound owners out there that have switched to the S3 I am wondering what the battery life of the S3 is compared to the Rezound.

Thanks!!

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I loved my Rezound. Solid, reliable, quick, sleek. Great phone.

My S3 blows it out of the water. Unless you have something else going on (software problems), battery life is amazing. Razr Maxx HD has the best, but GS3 is definitely second or third. Unless you're using it constantly throughout the day, like cumulative 4 hours screen time or more, battery should not be an issue. All the iPhone users at my work, even the i5, have to bring in their chargers, even though their phone is sitting around for most of the shift. People always talk smack about Samsung radios but I haven't had any problems. Since August 1st, I've had maybe 4 dropped calls, and I'm not even sure if some were from my end or not. I also get decent (useable) 4g in a weak 4g area, where my Rezound would have crappy 3g.

Some users have random battery drain, myself included, but it's clearly something wrong and has been resolved for most. So if you feel like your battery is draining fast, check out one of the 300 threads online about it. But if it works as it should, you'll be amazed. Feel free to ask any more questions.

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score

My S3 blows it out of the water. Unless you have something else going on (software problems), battery life is amazing. Razr Maxx HD has the best, but GS3 is definitely second or third. Unless you're using it constantly throughout the day, like cumulative 4 hours screen time or more, battery should not be an issue. All the iPhone users at my work, even the i5, have to bring in their chargers, even though their phone is sitting around for most of the shift. People always talk smack about Samsung radios but I haven't had any problems. Since August 1st, I've had maybe 4 dropped calls, and I'm not even sure if some were from my end or not. I also get decent (useable) 4g in a weak 4g area, where my Rezound would have crappy 3g.

Some users have random battery drain, myself included, but it's clearly something wrong and has been resolved for most. So if you feel like your battery is draining fast, check out one of the 300 threads online about it. But if it works as it should, you'll be amazed. Feel free to ask any more questions.

Thanks for the info!! Not really have any specific questions, maybe is there something missing on the S3 that you had on the Rezound?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Hm, at this point I don't really remember. I mean nothing stands out as an exclusive feature I really miss from my Rezound, though the S3 improves on a lot of things I didn't even know I had a problem with. I definitely liked the Rezound having the power plug on the side instead of the bottom and the power button on the top instead of the side (I tend to hit the lower volume button on the opposite side when I just want to unlock the screen or something), but nothing I couldn't adjust to.

jonlpearson

Reaction score
I also came from the rezound which I thought was and still is a great phone but it has nothing on the s3

feralchick

Reaction score
I miss the screen on the Rezound. The resolution was amazingly sharp. Very strong signal too.

Otherwise my S3 knocks it out of the ballpark in terms of features. My signal numbers are awful in my home (-85 Rezound vs -105 S3 in a strong 4G area) but I haven't dropped a call. I think I must be surrounded by kryptonite because elsewhere my signal measures -85 to -95. Battery life is good and my regular battery is lasts longer than the Rezound with the extended battery. Would probably be better with a stronger signal at home (tho if I go to the front of my building the signal is significantly stronger).

I do not miss having a hot phone.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
See that's one thing I don't understand. And feral this isn't directed towards you, just saying I don't understand why a lot of people give the GS3 smack because it has a "weak" radio. Maybe numbers wise, it is weaker, but when it comes to practical use....I quote, "but I haven't dropped a call." Honestly this isn't a personal attack or anything, just pointing out that when critics say the GS3 has a weak radio, readers assume it means dropped calls and bad speeds or reception. When in reality, that's not the case. And to be clear I have horrible reception in my house but I'm still able to use the GS3 no problem.

So perhaps the numbers are lower, but don't let that discourage you (or future readers) into thinking the GS3 radio sucks, like other Samsung radios apparently do. Can't speak for those...

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
See that's one thing I don't understand. And feral this isn't directed towards you, just saying I don't understand why a lot of people give the GS3 smack because it has a "weak" radio. Maybe numbers wise, it is weaker, but when it comes to practical use....I quote, "but I haven't dropped a call." Honestly this isn't a personal attack or anything, just pointing out that when critics say the GS3 has a weak radio, readers assume it means dropped calls and bad speeds or reception. When in reality, that's not the case. And to be clear I have horrible reception in my house but I'm still able to use the GS3 no problem. So perhaps the numbers are lower, but don't let that discourage you (or future readers) into thinking the GS3 radio sucks, like other Samsung radios apparently do. Can't speak for those...
That is a good point. I have read that the radios are weaker but really heard no complaints about it. My Rezound works great at my house but has a weak signal at my office; at -98. However, I still get good voice and 4G connection, so I don't really care. I guess I use more power, but that would be expected. At long as the phone works, doesn't drop calls and gets good data rates it doesn't matter if you have 1 bar or 4 bars.

feralchick

Reaction score
See that's one thing I don't understand. And feral this isn't directed towards you, just saying I don't understand why a lot of people give the GS3 smack because it has a "weak" radio. Maybe numbers wise, it is weaker, but when it comes to practical use....I quote, "but I haven't dropped a call." Honestly this isn't a personal attack or anything, just pointing out that when critics say the GS3 has a weak radio, readers assume it means dropped calls and bad speeds or reception. When in reality, that's not the case. And to be clear I have horrible reception in my house but I'm still able to use the GS3 no problem.

So perhaps the numbers are lower, but don't let that discourage you (or future readers) into thinking the GS3 radio sucks, like other Samsung radios apparently do. Can't speak for those...

No offense taken. Actually that was the point I was trying to make and obviously did so very badly. Thank you for bringing this up so I can clarify my comments.

Came from several Bionics which could not hold a signal most of the time. Swapped for a Rezound which consistently had a solid signal. Went thru several defective refurbs (disappointing because I thought it was a great phone overall). Swore off having a another Moto phone because of the trauma of suffering thru the Bionics. Was a bit concerned about going to an S3 because I read about some signal issues.

I was attempting to point out that although the S3 signal readings appear poor that this phone has been rock solid and I have had absolutely no problems with it dropping calls.

The S3 is a great phone and has performed perfectly. I absolutely adore my S3 and think it's one of the best phones out there.

Hope I did better this time in expressing the awesomeness of this phone. :)

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Beautifully said feral. And now that you point out that's what you meant, I can see where you were coming from. Guess it could've been interpreted either way :p

I've also noticed the GS3 shows 6 bars instead of the usual 5. So 2/6 bars on the GS3 may look weaker since most of the bar is empty, but it's pretty much on par with 3 bars on, say, the Rezound. So arguably when you have REALLY good reception and you're at 5 or 6/6, then maybe one could say the GS3 radio is actually better than most...assuming both phones have full bars.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Having owned both the S3 and the Rezound, I completely agree with you k1ngr4t. :rockon:

With several other previous Samsung devices that I've owned - such as the Galaxy Nexus, Fascinate, and Stratosphere - the reception truly was awful. In the case of the Galaxy Nexus, I went through four brand new devices, and all of them were unusable as a phone for me. And because of such bad experiences with Samsung devices on Verizon, I almost didn't buy the S3. But I'm sure glad I did. Samsung has really improved the reception of their devices in a major way, and on almost every other major front (hardware, software, features), they're ahead of all other manufacturers. As k1ngr4t said, the numbers might read a bit lower on the S3 when compared to the Rezound, but in real world use, the reception is just as good in my experience.

feralchick

Reaction score
Beautifully said feral. And now that you point out that's what you meant, I can see where you were coming from. Guess it could've been interpreted either way :p

I've also noticed the GS3 shows 6 bars instead of the usual 5. So 2/6 bars on the GS3 may look weaker since most of the bar is empty, but it's pretty much on par with 3 bars on, say, the Rezound. So arguably when you have REALLY good reception and you're at 5 or 6/6, then maybe one could say the GS3 radio is actually better than most...assuming both phones have full bars.

Yay!

Am still going to bug Verizon about the signal difference from the front and back of my building. It hasn't mattered performance wise at all but am curious why roughly 60 feet or so would make a difference. I don't live in an armory nor have remotely thick walls. It's just weird. Did notice a drop in the Rezound signal any time Verizon updated its system so its definitely on their end. Again, S3 performance is solid.

I also want to add that my computer crashed and I have been living on my S3 and this snappy little thing had been a life saver.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I've never even held the Rezound, but at one point I wanted it. But, for me, the GS III is the best Android phone I ever owned.