moving from nexus to s3

alboboy10

Reaction score
Anybody here had both phones? What is the difference between the two? Is the battery life a lot better than on the nexus, I've seen mixed reviews from people

Newps

Reaction score
I've had both. Standard battery is better on S3. However I always get the extended battery for what ever phone I have. I have the Hyperion 4200 battery on the S3, much nicer exterior size than the nexus with the large battery on that.

OP
alboboy10

alboboy10

Reaction score
How do you think the s3 compares to the stock nexus on jelly bean? Performance wise as well.

The battery for me is not a huge issue as long as it can last me morning to night with normal use.

With the nexus that's been difficult for me.

RiceCake2000

Reaction score
I noticed there is some lag with the s3's keyboard. Where as my nexus had no lag at all.

I also miss the camera options on the nexus. The s3 has better quality but lacks auto focus charity. I was shooting a hockey video and it would randomly blur.

Call quality is much better on the s3.

I feel the updates worth the upcoming JB should help with keyboard lag and so on.

It is also neat on the s3 where you can put a video on the screen and do other things like text

Overall S3 all the way.

OP
alboboy10

alboboy10

Reaction score
Are they easy to root and rom? I didn't root my nexus but I like having the ability to do so one day. I was told that the s3 has a locked boot loader on Verizon so you can't even get Roms or if you can its very difficult.
Is jelly bean coming out anytime soon or by January? Lol

My main concern was battery life on the nexus. It just wasn't doing it for me. It barely made it 16 hours with what I consider light use. (1 hour - 1.5 hour of screen time). I've heard that the s3 has far better battery life from reviews so that's one of the biggest reasons I'm looking forward to it.

My friend has one rooted and running cm10 on T-Mobile and that phone is awesome. He has like a million things synching and maybe five pages of widgets and it lasts him all day and is extremely fast.

What I'll miss the most about the nexus is just the general feel of it. It's so clean and simple whereas touchwiz is very cartoonish. And I also like the on screen keys.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
TMo doesnt have the battery sucking power that vzw's LTE has. The GSM version gets 4 hours of screen time so not fair to compare.

OP
alboboy10

alboboy10

Reaction score
tgyberg said:
TMo doesnt have the battery sucking power that vzw's LTE has. The GSM version gets 4 hours of screen time so not fair to compare.

No I know that.

I don't care about getting 4 hours of screen on. Can the phone last me from early morning to night or is that too much to ask for? Lol moderate use of course anywhere from 2 hours to 2.5.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
No I know that.

I don't care about getting 4 hours of screen on. Can the phone last me from early morning to night or is that too much to ask for? Lol moderate use of course anywhere from 2 hours to 2.5.

Mine lasts that long easy. If you go GSM/TMo you can double that.

OP
alboboy10

alboboy10

Reaction score
Unfortunately can't right now. Hopefully when my contracts end.

You're stock right?

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
alboboy10 said:
Anybody here had both phones? What is the difference between the two? Is the battery life a lot better than on the nexus, I've seen mixed reviews from people

Had nexus with extended battery and now s3 with stock battery which s waaaaaay better than the nexus extended battery..battery lice wise...keyboard on nexus I like better......overall the sg 3 is the best faster phone with more features and power ....u won't go wrong wtiht this phone

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

NOVICE

Reaction score
Have both phones (and previously Droid1 and DX). GS3 by far the superior phone. Battery 3x longer w/GS3--even when I was running JellyBean on the GNexus. But I undetstand the preference for the Nexus if you're flashing, etc. Otherwise cannot, personally, think of any feature that was better on the Nexus--screensize, battery, and overall speed. But I even like TouchWize so your mileage may vary.

RiceCake2000

Reaction score
I had a faulty nexus that would drop signal and that is why I love the S3. I am stock, since the bloat doesn't seem to slow the phone down any.

I will agree with the battery difference. My nexus had the extended battery but due to signal issues I was getting 5-8 hours. My s3 got 18 hours. That's both being used lightly of course.

OP
alboboy10

alboboy10

Reaction score
Verizon upgraded me to the s3. They wanted to give me the old razr but I told them that's not an option.

I just need a phone that can hold a charge throughout the day and wanted to see what other people think of the s3.

OP
alboboy10

alboboy10

Reaction score
Just got it today. I love it so far, they keyboard is a little difficult to use, and my WiFi isn't connecting. I tried a few things to fix it.

But other than that it's great.

Is there a feature where if I put the flap over the screen from the case it automatically shuts off the screen.