Moving from Bold to Either D-X or IP4

kstatenupe

Reaction score
Hello all - I am thinking about either picking up the X or the IP4 to replace my BB Bold. I have a few questions

1. On the X, what is the app that would be similar to BBM? VZ offers free messaging through BBM, So I am looking for something similar.

2. I read somewhere that you cant "root" on the X. Is that true. I still have to find out exactly what it is though.

3. Am I able to set up songs or clips or whatever with various notifications?

4. With VZ and X, can I talk on the phone and use apps at the same time?

5. Does VZ or X or whatever have an email server similar to ATT's where I have an ABC @ att.blackberry.net email address?

6. does X for the Swype style of typing?

Please forgive me if I didnt use the correct terminology. Most of this stuff is brand new to me.

Thanks

liquidzoo

Reaction score
Hello all - I am thinking about either picking up the X or the IP4 to replace my BB Bold. I have a few questions

1. On the X, what is the app that would be similar to BBM? VZ offers free messaging through BBM, So I am looking for something similar.

BBM is a Blackberry only thing. Google Talk is an IM client, but you will not be able to contact a BBM contact without BBM unless they also switch to a different client.

2. I read somewhere that you cant "root" on the X. Is that true. I still have to find out exactly what it is though.

I think so. It was reported that it was possible.

Yes, simply create a notifications (or ringtones, or alawms, etc) folder on the SD Card and drag and drop when attached to a computer.

As long as the apps don't need a data connection, sure. VZW does not allow voice and data at the same time.

5. Does VZ or X or whatever have an email server similar to ATT's where I have an ABC @ att.blackberry.net email address?

You'll have a @gmail.com address, but nothing like the blackberry email address.

I think it's an option (I have a normal Droid, so I'm not sure)

alm0614

Reaction score
1 and 5 are blackberry specific, you wont get that on iphone4 or droid x

6 yes swype is pre-installed, although the stock multitouch keyboard is excellent

cromo8

Reaction score
Yes there are many messaging clients that don't charge extra like bbm
Root is unlocking your phone for its full capabilities and it has been rooted
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

OP
K

kstatenupe

Reaction score
OK. Thanks for all your replies. I was looking for something that was similar to BBM in that it doesnt count towards your SMS count. Maybe I should have said that first.

I will keep lurking for a while and get more familiar with the phone.
Thanks again

liquidzoo

Reaction score
There's a lot of IM clients that won't count towards your SMS count for all 3 platforms (Android, iPhone, BB).

eBuddy
Meebo
Mundu IM ($3)

There's also the pre-installed Google Talk app on Android that is also available on BB.

All use data, not SMS. I've never seen an IM app that uses SMS.

GrillMouster

Reaction score

BBM is a messaging app exclusive to BlackBerry. There are tons of IM apps available on the X, some that allow you to IM back and forth with people in different IM platforms. Google Talk is one that comes by default with Android phones, like the X. You can also use Google Voice to send text messages for free. Also, Android makes, emailing images, videos, sound, and files just as easy as SMS.

The X was rooted a few days ago. Instructions are out there.

Yes. There are even apps that allow you to trim songs or clips to make your own custom ringtones, alarms, and notifications.

Yes. I do it all the time. You can also do talk and and data at the same time if you're connected to wifi.

If you want, you can get an @VZW address, but one of the main appeals of Android is that it's integrated with your gmail account. A gmail address will be much better than a bb email address, and you won't need to change the address the next time you switch phones, carrier, or ISP.

The X has both the native Android keyboard and the Swype keyboard. You can go back and forth betweent them whenever you want. They're both awesome. Oh, and on the X, the Swype keyboard has a button dedicated to Android's speech-to-text function (awesome!). This has been one of the most requested features for the open beta of Swype, and the X already has it!

Please forgive me if I didnt use the correct terminology. Most of this stuff is brand new to me.

Thanks

Just this morning I saw the most compelling review in favor of the X. On the Revision 3 show, App Judgement, there are a bunch of iPhone fanboys and fangirls. For a while Ron was the only person in the rotating cast of reviewers that was a real Android user, but in the last few weeks they've added a girl who also uses Android. This morning Mauricio, one of the most iPhone-dedicated reviewers on the show, admitted that he is loving his new X and that it's a superior phone to the iPhone 4. He has been doing his "pocket test", where he keeps an X in one pocket and an iPhone 4 in the other and he says that 9 times out of 10 he finds himself always reaching for the X instead of the iPhone. I was shocked to hear him say this, because he's such a big iPhone fanboy.