Moving Apps to SD card

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Darksthour, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Darksthour

Darksthour New Member

So I want to move Titanium Backup to my SD card so that when I flash a new rom I don't have to deal with redownloading all of my apps from the market. I can then just have all my data set up for me. Anyone know a way to do this? Can you run apps directly from the SD card? I was also thinking if I could just copy the apk onto it then copy it back using root explorer if that would work. I don't know about you guys but redownloading all my apps takes forever and is really annoying.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. brock.overcash

brock.overcash New Member

Most roms will format the sd-ext partition that is used to store apps but I'm not positive about that. I use Appbrain to speed up reinstalling apps because it will take you directly to each market page and now, some apps will automatically install.

Also, I don't recomend using Apps2SD unless you are completely out of space because it slows down the apps and reduces the life of your microSD card

3. Darksthour

Darksthour New Member

Well how do you use app brain? It's an application that you usually have to download. When I flash a new rom and open the market it instantly goes to my downloads and starts downloading all of them. I don't want it to do that. I have heard of people restoring apps from another app but I never figured out exactly how.

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I'm not trying to pick on you but that's the first time I've heard that. Do you have any solid documentation to back up that statement, or is it simply your opinion?

Maybe you're on to something, I don't know. Let's see how you came up with this.
  5. Darksthour

Darksthour New Member

I'm pretty sure it doesn't format the sd-ext because then your sd card wouldn't have anything on it.

6. brock.overcash

Lo
    Which part of my statement, the part about sd-ext being reformatted or apps2sd being in general bad for ur phone

7. brock.overcash

No sd-ext is a partition that is located on the sd card separate from the data you have on it

8. -iD

-iD New Member

having your apps on the SD card slows down the initial boot of your device and can cause problems with widgets (basically, if you're running a widget, the app should be internal, not on the SD, most if not all widgets will fail to load from SD). Once bootup is past, there's not much performance difference in where the app is loaded.
  9. Darksthour

Darksthour New Member

Ok so apps to sd really doesn't do anything you can't do with the settings. I think it's just there so you don't have to fish through the settings themselves. Without froyo they made the os work with the apps there. My point though is when I flash a rom it doesn't show up. You still have to go to the market and download it.

Search tags for this page

does moving app to sd card slow down s3

does titanum backup move apps to sd card
how to move apps to sd card with titanium backup
how to put data on a sd card motoral droid
move apps to sd in titanium backup 6.0.4
when updating phone apps saved on sd card redownloading apps