Moving app data to SD card without root

nilanko

Reaction score
Okay so this topic must be very common. I have the Moto E but since this is a software related question which is pretty much the same on Moto E and G, I chose this place.

Not everybody wants to root their phone. And I'm one of them cuz I dont want my warranty be void.

Ok, so the Moto E has 4 gigs of internal storage out of which only 2 gigs is available. Well, that's nothing. It filled up just like that in no time and I didnt even have any idea on who the hell used it up expect some small apps and games (Max. 50 megs in size). I just restored the phone to factory setting and decided to start from the scratch.

Now my phone has nothing expect the default apps.

Now comes my question. I can move the app to SD card but the data remains in the internal memory. Is there any possible way out there that would let me move the data part to SD card as well? I found lots of stuff ion the internet searching for this but nothing worked. I followed this tutorial: http://karthikkn.wordpress.com/2013/...ut-rooting-it/ but what it basically did is setting the default install location to SD card which did work but is pretty much useless I guess cuz its the same as manually moving the app to SD card. Date still resides in the internal memory.

I repeat my question, is it possible to move the data to SD card without rooting the phone? This is really annoying cuz I'm that kind of a guy who would love to install loads of games and apps but would really hate it if this space problem prevents. I have a 32 gig class 10 memory card with me already mounted.

Another question is: After updating the default app like Play movies, Play games, Youtube, Maps and all, the internal memory space was rapidly consumed. Tapping on "Uninstall updates" restores the space. I wonder how can updates take same amount of extra space which is equal to the size of the download? Arent updates meant to "replace" the existing version? So that shouldnt take much space I guess? But installing an update takes the same amount of space as that of the download size which is quite absurd. Any comments to justify this?

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I'm sure as you already found out, some apps you can move and some you can't. On a stock phone your at the mercy of the developer as to whether or not the app can be moved and how much of it is movable. I don't know if that even changes with root. If you want to save space on your phone make sure that you uninstall all the updates on the apps that you don't use and disable those apps. That will help some.

As for your other question sometimes the update replaces the old app and sometimes it adds features to the old app while keeping the framework so the developer doesn't have to rewrite the entire app with each update.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk