Movies!

Rjeff33351

Reaction score
im looking into putting movies on my x so i can watch them during..errrr...work, but im wondering whats the best program to run the movie...how far to compress a movie to not eat alot of space but then yet not lose quality.. what file types to use or stay away from....anything on the matter will help..THANKS!

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
I used my Ubuntu machine with acidrip. Its slow going, but allows you to pick the output file type and desired size. Works great so far. As far as playing them, rockplayer worked best for me. It was the first one I found that supported the .avi file I was trying to play. If your using windows I'm not really sure. I have tried several in the past, but most just didn't work. Just be sure your using it for your personal viewing to avoid legal problems.
Felt I had to say that. Good luck

Arcstriker

Reaction score
I'm also interested in this but on a Win7 machine... I've tried handbreak and it kinda worked... Maybe I just don't have the "best" settings. If anyone has the best output settings please let me know...

Also has anyone streamed a movie using DLNA from a PC and played it on the phone... All mine say wrong format. Thanks for any and all help.

OP
R

Rjeff33351

Reaction score
well to add on to this i ripped my dvd of anchorman to my comp using the stock hp movie editing software...made the file size around 700 megs and then copy and pasted to a movie folder i made in the phones catalog and the movie looks perfect and the sound quality is right there...no lag no skips perfect..hope this helps

timrock

Reaction score
im on ubuntu and use handbrake. i convert 4gb blu rays all the time. just choose the iphone & ipod touch preset. it will convert the vid to mp4 and give a size of 480x272, the vid will be about 300mb, a little more, a little less. and the quality is great. the conversion takes less than a half hour.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I second Handbrake.

capsfan0709

Reaction score
I say handbrake as well. I've had great results. Use the iPod/iPhone setting. Mp4 format. Looks good. Good luck! :)

beza1200

Reaction score
I just got my droid X a few days ago. Have been happy with my iphone 3g but I hear great things about verizon and the droid X so I tried it out.

Problem im having is with getting "all" of my movies playing correctly. I have over 200 mp4 movies on my pc that all play fine on my 3g iphone. For some reason I am seeing that the ".mp4" files work and the ".m4v" files do not play.

Also some avi files play but some do not. I dont get it!!

Please help!!
Thanks

timrock

Reaction score
I just got my droid X a few days ago. Have been happy with my iphone 3g but I hear great things about verizon and the droid X so I tried it out.

Problem im having is with getting "all" of my movies playing correctly. I have over 200 mp4 movies on my pc that all play fine on my 3g iphone. For some reason I am seeing that the ".mp4" files work and the ".m4v" files do not play.

Please help!!
Thanks

rocketplayer handles avi very well.

Arcstriker

Reaction score
As far as the .AVI files go, not all AVI files are the same. AVI is just a 'container' in which case the video format itself can have many different settings some which would be compatible with the X and some that are not. It any of these cases though there is some ways around it but might take time...

I found a program for Windows called Hampster Video Converter which is freeware, and does a good job at converting the files. I just use the preset Nexus setting and my videos come out great at full screen with great quality. a 20 minute tv show came out to be around 180 megs.

Hamster 100% Free Video converter with video player | Supports Any Video Formats & Easy-to-Use!

beza1200

Reaction score
The files are already converted. Im just copy and pasting them.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
For some reason I am seeing that the ".mp4" files work and the ".m4v" files do not play.

Please help!!
Thanks

I use Act 1 Video Player on my Droid 1 and I had a couple like that. It gave me a warning, but played them. As a test I simply changed the extension from "m4v" to "mp4." It worked. The warning went away and played fine.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
How do u change the extension? ?

In Windows I change the extension by renaming the file. For example, I rename "movie.m4v" to "movie.mp4". I get a warning, but I check by playing it on my pc first.