Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
And here's another plug from an old theater worker, DON'T SNEAK SNACKS IN if you want your local theater to stay in business.

ALL of the money from ticket sales goes back to the production companies and covers distribution and transport (not so much transport now that they've gone digital, but still).

The concession stand prices are as high as they are so that they can make money to pay the staff. You bring stuff from home, those prices will raise even more, people that used to pay for their stuff at the theater will refuse to pay those new prices and start bringing stuff from home, and before you know it, you've got no big screen to enjoy the year's blockbusters.

**Drops mic, steps down, picks up soapbox, and walks away.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And here's another plug from an old theater worker, DON'T SNEAK SNACKS IN if you want your local theater to stay in business.

ALL of the money from ticket sales goes back to the production companies and covers distribution and transport (not so much transport now that they've gone digital, but still).

The concession stand prices are as high as they are so that they can make money to pay the staff. You bring stuff from home, those prices will raise even more, people that used to pay for their stuff at the theater will refuse to pay those new prices and start bringing stuff from home, and before you know it, you've got no big screen to enjoy the year's blockbusters.

**Drops mic, steps down, picks up soapbox, and walks away.

Interesting. Makes sense but I never knew that the ticket booth is 100% to the producer. That is quite a shocker to me really. Normally in public productions there is a portion of the box office that goes to the producer and the other portion to the host.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Interesting. Makes sense but I never knew that the ticket booth is 100% to the producer. That is quite a shocker to me really. Normally in public productions there is a portion of the ticket box that goes to the producer and the other portion to the host.
Ok, I over-exaggerated a little. The theater gets like 20-25% depending on their agreement with the production companies. I had to look it up. It's more than I remember, but still not much as far as operating costs go.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That makes a bit more sense. The ticket booth probably just barely covers overhead (if even), so the concessions and the arcade machines are the profit. Good information.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That makes a bit more sense. The ticket booth probably just barely covers overhead (if even), so the concessions and the arcade machines are the profit. Good information.
Yup. Say you've got a smaller theater that makes $3 off of each ticket sold. 100 people come to see movies one day (this was a decent night at the discount, extended run theater I managed). That means they made $300 for the day. Figure they've got 6 employees for the day (not including manager) that make, let's say $7/hr.

It costs that theater $42/hr for those employees, which means $336 total for each of them to work an 8 hour shift (again, not including the manager). Without concessions and arcade, they're already $36 in the hole for the day.

**Edit: I realized after I typed this that I just created a word problem to explain the economics to a financially minded individual. My bad, but I'll leave this here for others to reference. Haha

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No insult taken... I happened to have been a Series 7 licensed Stock Broker and 66 Registered Investment Advisor in the past (twice), was the Vice President of the Trust and Wealth Management division of a multi-billion dollar bank, and in my early career was also a licensed Insurance Agent and Senior Financial Advisor, and am now a licensed Mortgage Banker so I do know a thing or two about money. ;) Still, I always enjoy discussing and analyzing financial situations and helping people with them whenever possible.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No insult taken... I happened to have been a Series 7 licensed Stock Broker and 66 Registered Investment Advisor in the past (twice), was the Vice President of the Trust and Wealth Management division of a multi-billion dollar bank, and in my early career was also a licensed Insurance Agent and Senior Financial Advisor, and am now a licensed Mortgage Banker so I do know a thing or two about money. ;) Still, I always enjoy discussing and analyzing financial situations and helping people with them whenever possible.
I knew some of that. Haha

Sent from my Note 4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, that's gonna happen. When a large popcorn and two large drinks costs more than the actual movie itself. Pffff
Getting back on track....as Ollie mentioned, does the Glass have enough battery and storage to even record a feature length movie? I doubt in high def at least.

S5 tap'n

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I've worn my Glass to a few plays, and with most of the volunteers being elderly, nobody really even noticed. =P

So how much can Glass really record? What's the storage space? What's the battery life while doing intensive processing like that? Is it 1080p?

Video is 720p. Storage is 16GB. Battery is terrible. I recorded straight to see how long the battery would last and it died at around an hour. It's not meant for intense recording in the least. =P Seriously, unless someone has a wire running down their back when wearing Glass, nobody has anything to worry about. ;)

Google Glass, heck I live in Google's backyard and have yet to see it in public, but yeah they shouldn't be allowed in theaters.

I've only seen 5 or 6 people with Glass and several of those were friends and the other was one of the main inventors. It's fun living in Google territory! ;)

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Yeah, that's gonna happen. When a large popcorn and two large drinks costs more than the actual movie itself. Pffff
Getting back on track....as Ollie mentioned, does the Glass have enough battery and storage to even record a feature length movie? I doubt in high def at least.

S5 tap'n
I work at a Regal and when I told my manager about this... He laughed. He knows the quality and the ridiculousness of this. To play Devil's Advocate though, they can still record portions of the movie, which is still copyright infringement.

HOWEVER, we allow phones in the theater. They are just as capable of recording. We have ushers that walk through and check. Just like the glowing light of a phone, it's easy to tell when someone with Glass is recording. Plus, some of these are prescription which we can't just tell someone to leave on that. That's like refusing a diabetic to not allow outside food. We would get in deep trouble.