Moved from D1 to TB...initial thoughts..

magicshoes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I decided to take the plunge and get the TB after much reading on these forums. Thank you all for your posts and input!

After upgrading to the Bolt from my OG Droid on March 29, these are the things that stick out the most to me, plus and minuses!

• TB takes a LONG time to charge, I would say at least 2 hours to charge from 40% to 100%. Again, have not had TB for that long and have not been through many charge cycles. It just seems that the D1 charged about as fast as my ipod!
  • Call quality, I have told several people that I had a new phone and they said that they noticed my voice was clearer and easier to understand. No coaxing from me, they just noticed something was different!
  • Battery life is definitely less than my D1 but I also realize I am holding a much more powerful and power hungry best in my hand!I would say I am going 6 hrs. before charging at work with moderate use, most of that surfing the web and listening to music on my SD card or FM radio. I realize the TB is new and I am constantly playing with it!
  • Not as heavy or bulky as I thought it would be. Doesn't feel any heavier than my D1, fits the hand perfectly despite it's larger size.
  • Screen is amazing! Big, bright and beautiful!
  • Sound not so amazing. Kind of disappointed with the volume from the onboard speaker and headphone jack. But the quality of the sound is far superior to my D1, just need to turn it up a bit!

• HTC Sense is way cool! A little learning curve from motoblur, but very fast, smooth and very customizable.
Overall I am very happy with my TB and look forward to trading many tips and tricks from everyone! If you are on the fence like I was....Just do it!!!!!

stevenfstein1

Reaction score
Same situation - loving the UI and the ability to bulk delete and undelete mail. Such a simple thing that the D1 could never do. Wish the speaker volume was better, especially for navigation. So far for what I do the battery life has been acceptable. I created my own scene using the HTC widgets and used apps organizer for the folder structure. I agree with magicshoes - voice quality is better and noticible. Wish I could charge the phone while using the stand in landscape mode but I guess that was a design error by the engineers. Oh wait, I see they sell a desktop charging unit that allows that. Who woulda thunk.... Overall I'm very happy with the phone and I know there will be a fix for the volume.

Best.... Steve

Peschon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I decided to take the plunge and get the TB after much reading on these forums. Thank you all for your posts and input!

After upgrading to the Bolt from my OG Droid on March 29, these are the things that stick out the most to me, plus and minuses!

• TB takes a LONG time to charge, I would say at least 2 hours to charge from 40% to 100%. Again, have not had TB for that long and have not been through many charge cycles. It just seems that the D1 charged about as fast as my ipod!
  • Call quality, I have told several people that I had a new phone and they said that they noticed my voice was clearer and easier to understand. No coaxing from me, they just noticed something was different!
  • Battery life is definitely less than my D1 but I also realize I am holding a much more powerful and power hungry best in my hand!I would say I am going 6 hrs. before charging at work with moderate use, most of that surfing the web and listening to music on my SD card or FM radio. I realize the TB is new and I am constantly playing with it!
  • Not as heavy or bulky as I thought it would be. Doesn't feel any heavier than my D1, fits the hand perfectly despite it's larger size.
  • Screen is amazing! Big, bright and beautiful!
  • Sound not so amazing. Kind of disappointed with the volume from the onboard speaker and headphone jack. But the quality of the sound is far superior to my D1, just need to turn it up a bit!

• HTC Sense is way cool! A little learning curve from motoblur, but very fast, smooth and very customizable.
Overall I am very happy with my TB and look forward to trading many tips and tricks from everyone! If you are on the fence like I was....Just do it!!!!!

Noticed the exact same items, other then charge and discharge of the battery this phone is pretty good + if you able to get to a 4G area, looking at download speeds from 12-20 Mbps down and 3-7 up (least for me).

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
I would hope you like the TB more than the D1.. ;)

I had to give my friend my old Incredible cuz I could not stand the voice quality of his D1... I forced the INC on him so i could at least hear the guy clearly..

I got over 12hrs on my TB yesterday.... Mp3s for the whole time at work pretty much.. Some texting.. Few Calls.. Checking Emails.. closed the day with some gaming.. on 4g all day long.. (i do not have any twitter or FB.. no major social networking stuff.) I dont tweet. hehe..

enjoy the best phone on the market :D

Ryukashin

Reaction score
I've noticed with music from the SD card with no headphones you can turn on the surround sound feature (SRS effects) which makes that speaker sound a whole lot better, however it only affects music lol. Wish I could turn that on for everything that came out of that speaker.

The battery isn't great, isn't horrible. The biggest gripe i have is that to save power you turn screen brightness down, but when i'm outside I can't tell whether the phone is on or off lol. If the screen didn't suck down the juice i'd leave autobrightness on like i did for my D1.

Staveandor

Reaction score
I've noticed with music from the SD card with no headphones you can turn on the surround sound feature (SRS effects) which makes that speaker sound a whole lot better, however it only affects music lol. Wish I could turn that on for everything that came out of that speaker.

The battery isn't great, isn't horrible. The biggest gripe i have is that to save power you turn screen brightness down, but when i'm outside I can't tell whether the phone is on or off lol. If the screen didn't suck down the juice i'd leave autobrightness on like i did for my D1.

Where, exactly, is that setting?

BigNunz6

Reaction score
I also just retired my D1 for the Bolt...very happy over all and pretty much agree with the OP.
The only negative would be the battery draining so fast.
For me its not really a big deal since I am mostly at work while using it.

4G is definitely a lot faster for internet use. I didn't buy into the whole faster thing at first but where I live in NYC it's a huge difference.

Ryukashin

Reaction score
So like I said you need music on your SD card. Then go to the music app click menu, sound enhancement, SRS surround. Listen to the difference in the song playing. It would be nice if HTC would take that setting and apply it to everything else, it maybe some dev might do it for those who have rooted already.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

bodean

Reaction score
I thought about retiring my droid 1 for this, but with all the issues, i see no reason to jump on another first release 4g phone on VZW. Ill wait for the faster/better battery of the bionic........

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
The TB is butter.. i have no major complaints really.. Is there a smartphone that needs to be charged once every two days?? i dont think theres a smartphone like that...

Once I calibrated my battery and cycled it a couple times.. its been fine.. 12hrs on a single charge is not bad in my opinion.

OP
magicshoes

magicshoes

Reaction score

Going to try the SRS effects, thanks!

Ryukashin

Reaction score
I agree with the earlier comment about wishing to charge my phone while using the stand in landscape mode. I would probably preferred the location they used for the eris. Also, for us D1 users notice how the charging port is the same on the TB as it was on the D1, i was kinda hoping for a mini usb like other phones. oh well. Overall, I love this phone.

Also, any dev's reading this it would be awesome to make the SRS effect work for voice calls, youTube, etc.

jseah

Reaction score
I agree with the earlier comment about wishing to charge my phone while using the stand in landscape mode. I would probably preferred the location they used for the eris. Also, for us D1 users notice how the charging port is the same on the TB as it was on the D1, i was kinda hoping for a mini usb like other phones. oh well. Overall, I love this phone.

Also, any dev's reading this it would be awesome to make the SRS effect work for voice calls, youTube, etc.

The last phone I ever had that used a mini usb plug was the BB Curve 8330. Every phone I've seen released since then has been micro usb.