Moved back to 4.2

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by hansumstranger, Mar 5, 2011.

1. hansumstranger

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to Nandroid, I'm glad I made a backup of 4.2
    Much as 5.02 was super fast, the whole dropping of 3g, having to toggle airplane mode on and off, the green/white bars thing was driving me cuckoo!

Not fun when you get off a call and then wonder if your email will download or not.

Its back to 4.2 for me, for now! I love PE (only reason I still have my OG Droid), but I'll wait and see how things shape up before heading over to 5 again.

Anyone else make this "Radical" decision? LOL!

2. bhughesiii

bhughesiii Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. The 3g issues is not a huge issue to me. I leave all data turned off while at work unless I leave my desk since I can check my email from my computer there is no reason to have data on until I walk away. While at home I am always on wireless. So I have no issues with 3g as I only turn it on as needed.

3. Deronn

Deronn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I made the same decision this morning. Love what 5.02 had to offer, but GB's task killer just too aggressive for how I use my phone. I'm not too disappointed since I was very happy with 4.2 anyway. I'm sure PE's GB version will continue to improve so I'll always continue to try them out.

4. stark23x

stark23x Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Me too. It's not PE per se, it's these GB ROMS on a Droid1 just are not working for me. All the little things that nag at me and deter from just using and enjoying my phone got to be too much. I think the D1s just can't handle the memory-hogging nature of GB.

PE 4.2 is blazing, stable and does everything I want. I stayed on PE5 for about 5 days just to make sure I really knew what I was giving up. I'm good for now. I will, however, keep watching PE5 and see how it improves, because hey...flashing ROMs is what we do, right? Always gotta flash the new stuff and see what it does, :)

5. pronghornrunner

Ratings:
    +0
    Have been contemplating this move as well. PE5 is the best GB Rom I have tried over the past week and, well, is just ripping fast. However, I think I'm going to drop down to 4.2.

Having consistent data is part of having a smart phone, right? :D

6. doublea500

doublea500 Active Member

Ratings:
    +13
    i switched to 4.2 because i had battery problems with 5.0.2. 5.0.2 was working extremely well though. if i did not have the problems with the battery then i would probably stay with 5.0.2.

7. stark23x

stark23x Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if the battery life issues with these GB ROMs is due to the ultra-aggressive task killing. Those tasks just keep respawning, right? Then getting killed, restarted, killed, etc, making the CPU churn and churn.

Plus, and I have no explanation as to why, but wifi destroys my battery on PE5. I have the extended Droid2 battery, and I barely get 12 hours before it drains dry. 6 hours with heavy use. On 4.2 I can get almost 18 hours, and around 9-10 of real, heavy usage. Same kernels AFAIK.

8. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I went back to 4.2 long time ago. Im done with GB until they figure out the bugs.I cant afford missing text messages or killing other apps or even dealing with the 3G hack.

9. dustoff69

dustoff69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Count me in. I love PE, but 5.X was a bit much to deal with. I hope that it will eventually work out, but I wonder if GB is going to be stable on the OG Droid????

10. fredm74

fredm74 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys, can you pass along the PE 4.2 Rom zip file? I am jumping onboard as well. The battery is running hot, I'm not getting all of my text messages and I had two random reboots, one of which happened during a phone call.

11. VolDroid

VolDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
  12. fredm74

fredm74 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks VolDroid. :)

Wipe Data and Cache isn't necessary, right?

#12 fredm74, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011