mounted Droid + iTunes --> I/O errors??

f00f

Reaction score
Sorry if this is old news.

I've tried this on a pair of Macs, one 10.6.2 and the other 10.5.8, both with iTunes 9.0.2. The gist of the issue is that if you have your Droid mounted, and then launch iTunes, iTunes will wreak havoc w/ the USB bus and ultimately you'll get some I/O errors reading and writing to the Droid's SD card.

To test I did the following:
  1. Without iTunes running, plugged the Droid into the USB bus and mounted the SD card
  2. Wrote some files to the SD; this worked fine. Also read files from the SD fine.
  3. With the Droid still mounted, launched iTunes to look for tunes to copy (I still use iTunes for music library management :icon_eek:)
  4. Attempt to copy files to SD card failed (see the first attachment below which is on Leopard 10.5.8)
  5. For giggles, attempted to create some new directories on the SD card via the command line. See the second attachment.

The only fix for this is to unplug the Droid from USB and re-plug it. You won't be able to unmount the device (by dragging it to the trash), nor will a force unmount (in Snow Leopard) suffice.

So in short, do one of the following:
  • Don't use iTunes
  • If you need to use iTunes, make sure it is running *before* you mount the Droid. If you mount after iTunes is running, all seems OK.

Curious if this is a similar issue on Windows. Also if other Mac users could confirm this Mac behavior that'd be cool too. :icon_ banana:

Still <3 the freedom of my Droid more than the restrictions of my iPhone.

Last edited:

yams69

Reaction score
Thanks for this tip. I have been having the same problems getting my Droid to mount to my Mac (running Snow Leopard 10.6.2). I had no idea that just having iTunes open would cause the problem. No iTunes -> transfers now work without throwing errors!

I did notice when I was having these problems that the directories on my Droid were showing up as files. Couldn't use Windows to get around this Mac issue because my Win 7 64-bit install is also apparently not yet fully supported.

Apart from these issues...very happy with my Droid.

Adroid

Reaction score
Error Code -36

I am a mac guy (mac book pro, snow leopard 10.6.3)

I have followed the suggestions and have previously put my itunes library on my droid. Unfortunately, yesterday, my droid decided it had run out of energy even though it had only been 4-5 hours since i removed it from it's dock where it sits every night. I wasnt near a charger so I figured I would just shut it down until i could plug it into my car charger on lunch break.
When I turned the it back on it gave me a message saying the SD card was damaged and should be reformatted.....I did.
Now every time i try to put music on it i get this error -
The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "song_title_here.m4a" can't be read or written. (Error code –36)

Verizon suggested that I reformat the phone which would remove all the apps I've collected since December.

Any suggestions?