Motorola's Latest Rumored Droid Devices to Include Snapdragon 808 and 810

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-black-logo.png

If this latest "rumint" is to be believed, it looks like Motorola isn't too scared of the overheating reputation of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810. We have rumors of the latest Motorola smartphones coming later this year, and one of them includes the disfavored chipset. The device holds the model number XT1585, and is supposedly headed to Verizon. It has the internal codename Kinzie, and is said to have a QHD resolution display with 640 DPI.

The rumor suggests there will also be a second (and third) Motorola device which uses the smaller Snapdragon 808 chipset. Both are effectively the same device, but the third has a different model name, and is headed to Verizon. They are the XT1578 and XT1097 respectively, and are both codenamed “Clark.” These devices will also have a QHD resolution (but with a slightly lower DPI of 560, suggesting a smaller display size).

That's about all that could be gleaned from this latest Moto leak. If true, it looks like we have a couple of new Droids coming to Big Red this year!

Source: Reddit

civiksi

Reaction score
And with any luck you will get Android M Christmas of 2016!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Excellent! Between these and the new Moto X there will be some solid Moto options for smartphone users to choose from! I am still on my OG Moto X (2013) and it is still a performant, reliable little phone!

Amagine

Reaction score
Great! Hopefully they come with expandable storage as well! Maybe unlocked? Loved the Moto Hardware and design with my OG Droid X and Razr

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Should probably stop even suggesting anything unlocked from moto unless it's a nexus of course.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
The only 'droid' phone is the orginal OG. Vzw overdid the whole 'droid' campaign, its a pain to see it now. Walk in a Vzw store and 1/2 of the phones are 'droid' old ones at that smh. Just get new phones and keep them software updated. Tis simple...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There have been several "unlocked" or "Developer Edition" phones offered up, most recently, including the Droid MAXX (XT1080M),

droid-maxx-dev-edition.png

and the earlier Moto X (XT1060 - 1st Generation).

s-l1000.jpg

We don't have a Droid TURBO in Developer Edition (yet), and there is still no announcement of one, but don't completely discount the possibility.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Excellent! Between these and the new Moto X there will be some solid Moto options for smartphone users to choose from! I am still on my OG Moto X (2013) and it is still a performant, reliable little phone!
Agreed! I like the rumors about the new Droid (yes, they are still Droids) and the new Moto X. Sounds like some interesting news phones to look forward to later this year. Also agree that the Moto X 2013 is still an awesome phone, absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I laugh when I read articles that say "the new XYZ is by far the best phone of 2015, hands down" and we are only in May and there are so many more new phones to come out later this year.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I love my Droid Maxx Developer Edition. I really have lost almost all of my interest in other phones because it is near perfection. I wish it was a little smaller with on screen keys like the 2013 moto x. I plan on keeping it until it dies as I do not see anyone releasing a 2013 moto x sized device with a maxx style battery and in a developer edition.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This is a gamble that moto has taken before.. The og razr maxx with the s4 processor... It got hot.. But most chips in that Era did. I have some of them still and they all suffer from battery swell.. I suppose I should look into changing them out or having moto do it.. But other than that, they still work well for their limited abilities compared to devices like the turbo or any other newer device..

So i guess that's my only real concern... If they stick with a laminated style building process and sealed batteries... If the chip does get hot(thinking of WiFi hotspot and charging at the same time) then it could lead to swelling issues and devices are getting even thinner now ..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks like the latest leaks have put the Kaboosh on expandable storage.

Interestingly enough, I don't know if you caught the blurb about Google releasing some sort of microsd encryption card. Supposed to be a wholly contained OS with state-of-the-art encryption....yet somehow the 64gb card only has 4 gigs of storage? Almost like Google sat around and said "we've largely failed to kill the SD card, what else can we do to make that happen?"....

Makes for an interesting discussion about the future of sd slots...and if this encrypto would take up your slot, could Android support 2 sd slots?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Interestingly enough, I don't know if you caught the blurb about Google releasing some sort of microsd encryption card. Supposed to be a wholly contained OS with state-of-the-art encryption....yet somehow the 64gb card only has 4 gigs of storage? Almost like Google sat around and said "we've largely failed to kill the SD card, what else can we do to make that happen?"....

Makes for an interesting discussion about the future of sd slots...and if this encrypto would take up your slot, could Android support 2 sd slots?
The problem with encryption from my point of view is that the more powerful encryption gets, the greater the risk of the loss of data. As is the case with Motorola's encryption technology, so many people lost everything because the encryption uses a hashtag that comes from the ESN of the phone, the lock pin and an alternative random number generation system that together become the key to unlocking the files. Unfortunately when the phone fails any documents or files that are encrypted are unable to be recovered because you can't secure the hash key with any other phone but the one that it was built on.

A wholly self-contained encryption technology that sits on the SD card may lend some safety to the data by way of it all being in one place and never detached from the data. My big concern then becomes, what happens if the card fails? SD cards aren't as stable and secure as we'd like to believe they are. They do have a notable failure rate as well as unexpected failure from formatting issues.

The safest method for long-term storage and protection of encrypted data by far has to be with enterprise quality offsite cloud storage capability. Unfortunately of course, there is significant cost involved in that as well and the consumer isn't ready to pick up that expense at this juncture. We're already being saddled with higher data charges and obviously with automatic backup and sync of data your expenses for data will only continue to grow as we use larger and larger camera images and video images, and we continue to move further and further away from the stationary desktop computer and more on to the mobile computing platform for all of our business operations as well as our day-to-day personal functions.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The safest method for long-term storage and protection of encrypted data by far has to be with enterprise quality offsite cloud storage capability.

All true, but it's designed to be secure access to your info. No one said anything about not keeping backups. I think this could be a huge deal for people afraid to do sensitive banking/financial transactions on their phone. The whole push behind fingerprint/iris scanners is to make "passwords" unhackable and unforgettable.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
All true, but it's designed to be secure access to your info. No one said anything about not keeping backups. I think this could be a huge deal for people afraid to do sensitive banking/financial transactions on their phone. The whole push behind fingerprint/iris scanners is to make "passwords" unhackable and unforgettable.
I get that, but what was the advantage to the data that's stored on the phone (or SD card), being encrypted if it's not pictures or video are other volumes of data such as personal records? It's really a question of what data you need direct offline access to while mobile. I would be more concerned with data that was being communicated back and forth being encrypted to protect from interception rather than just stuff stored on the phone. We have that now but if it were even more heavily encrypted it wouldn't hurt.

If you're concerned about doing banking and other financial transactions on the phone, then you would probably want to use an application that doesn't store information on the phone, but just simply uses the phone as the means to communicate information back and forth and display it for view but once you log off, all data is lost. The actual data would remain on the financial service provider's servers. I do this now, is called mobile banking and I don't store anything on the phone nor do I have need to.

In that situation, having an iris scanner or other secure type of validation that you are the authorized user using the phone is far more important than having the data on the phone (or SD card), encrypted. With the encryption key anyone can access the data if its on the phone or on the SD card in another phone so I don't see the correlation.